Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a new member and I'm very excited to be apart of chihuahua people. I have a 2 yr. male chihuahua, Ralphie, whom I adore more than I ever thought I would. Because of that I am now considering obtaining a female. My question is, how do you know you're ready for two? Is the combination of two a lot more responsibility? I am concerned because my husband and I are considering having a baby in a couple of years and don't know if having two chihuahuas and a baby is a lot to take on. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hello there :wave: and welcome
I have two chi's and I would say that there isn't much difference in looking after two, only I now have two chi's sitting on my lap . I have also three boy's another bigger dog , one cat and two goldfish.
It is just down to you and your husband but it would be hard for you if you was to start a family at the same time as getting a new puppy. :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
I dont think there is really much diffrence, plus your chi may welcome the company when your not home! Two keep each other entertained...of course I have 6 and its a zoo! :oops: :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome. I'm a new member too. :wave: You asked how do you know if your ready for another chihuahua. Well, i've always thougth that the dog finds you, and you'll just some how KNOW when it's right. I wasn't even looking for a cat because we did have our share of animals, but one day at Petco they had a cat for adoption and the second I saw him I knew it was ment to be. He has a little kink in his tail at the end and so did one of my grammas cats that I loved very much. My gramma's cat had died of feline lukemia just a few months before Max was born. I just saw him and fell in love. Ok, I know this isn't a cat site, but my point is, if your not sure about getting another one quiet yet, you don't need to go out looking for one. A animal in need will find you. Ok, next question. Of course each animal is a big responsibility, so I think you need to weigh your time avalible for a puppy and if you'd be able to give it what it needs.What ever feels right for you. And last but not least, I think it's good your thinking about the future. I don't have any experience with babies or kids so I don't know what it would be like. I'm 18 and an only child so I can't give you any advise on that one. I'm sure whatever happens you will be happy and good luck with starting a family! Hope this helped a little bit!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback, it really helped ease my worries. I'm going to go this weekend to look at a baby girl, I can't wait!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm going to jump in real quick and say a second chi might help ease any jealousy issues that could arise if/when you do have a baby.

Although, when I was born (in a galaxy, far far away) my mother worried that her 14-year old chi would have issues with a baby in the house since she had been the baby. Not so... there are plenty of photos of Tammy on my mom's lap while she was feeding me. Mom was holding the bottle, Tammy was licking my toes.

I tend to use my head more than my heart when making decisions like the one you're making though - my main concern is always finances. Babies cost a lot of money... *almost* more than chis :lol: :lol: I guess you can always skip the baby though.... :scratch:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
double the food, double the vet bills, double the pee and poo BUT.........

double the LOVE! for me it all balanced out lol. i got jumba so chiwi can have a little friend. i'm a single mother of a 5 1/2 year old and 2 chi's, as far as finances you make it work. if i got another pet or had another kid it would definitley break me! i've reached my limit!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I had a doberman and 1 cat when I had my oldest daughter... The cat was old and set in her ways and a witch with a BIG "B" and The dobie was not quite a year... The cat loved the baby.. we have lots of pictures of them laying on the bed together... the cat never got in her crib... but would lay on the floor under it for housr at a time.. when it was baby nap time it was cat nap time...

The dog loved the baby and would let her do anything to him even bite his Balls... (thats a whole other story)

I didn't have any small dodgs when I had small babies but I know that if you treat the dog the same as you do now then you shouldn't have any problems when you decide to have a baby...

I do know that I have one chihuahua now and only want one... (for now)

But my neighbor that has his mom and dad say it is no more trouble having one then having 2.. the only difference is you can't take 2 as many places with you as you can take 1...

I take gadget every where with me... Shopping with 2 would be harder than with 1... and of course you have double the food and vet and all that stuff...

but you have double the laughs double the fun and double the love

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have two chis and I got Kiwi first and was worried about the same things as you are and then I decided to get another one and it was the best decision I have ever made they are inseparable and really it's not any extra work They all have to eat, potty, sleep, and play and they do everything together so its really know extra work. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts