Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
870 Posts
How interesting!!! I've alwayswanted to touch a hairless dog or cat in person.. and I will say that hairless dogs are cute... and I cannot say the same for hairless cats!! lol... He's adorable!! How much goes into taking care of his skin? How often do you bathe him and such? I'm really interested cause I know or a few people with hairless chis.. I know Mercy has one named Nano as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His skin is very soft. To keep his skin nice I bathe him once weekly. I put unscented lotion on him every other day. When he goes outside I put sunblock on him. Other than that he is pretty low maintenence- no brushing or shedding here!

I would LOVE to see pictures or talk with anyone who has a hairless Chihuahua!

·
Banned
870 Posts
Oh gosh!!! That is just so neat! I would love to touch him!!! (^_^) I think it would be just about the same as Yoshi's belly skin where he's got no hair. I always say it looks like chicken skin.. lol. but it's SO soft! :lol: He's such a cutie!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They aren't a "real breed" by themselves. He is 100% Chihuahua. He wasn't bred to be hairless. It just kind of happenned-genetic fluke! AKC standards only allow smooth and long coats. It is thought that Chihuahuas are from theTechichi dogs of the Toltecs and were crossed with hairless dogs from the Orient. So being hairless must still be somewhere way back in their genetics.

·
Registered
565 Posts
tyke is really cute! does he have color dilution alopecia? our vet thinks bonnie has cda...she's not completely hairless yet but she has no hair on her head, legs, or tail. she's still beautiful to me though!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
BonnieChi said:
tyke is really cute! does he have color dilution alopecia? our vet thinks bonnie has cda...she's not completely hairless yet but she has no hair on her head, legs, or tail. she's still beautiful to me though!
I was going to ask the same thing!

He is cute though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes he does have CDA. He does not come from a past of linebreeding blues or any blues that have had hairloss. He is a bit of a genetic fluke. no matter how carefully you breed with blue dogs this is always a possibility the color blue coming from a mutated gene for back that causes a dilution of that color. If you look close you can see he still has the white hair on that one toe on his back foot. Since he was practically all blue, he is basically all hairless. The only blue hair he has left is on the very tip of his tail and no doubt that will go too in a couple months. I feel he was meant to be a hairless Chihuahua. He looks perfectly normal (and hansome of course!) to me!

Some dogs (most) with CDA just have thinner hair (where its blue of course and then a thick normal coat in the areas with say white or tan) Is this how Bonnie is? I haven't seen a recent picture of her. Tyke is truly truly hairless LOL. He really does look like he was bred to be a hairless Chihuahua. he may be a bit of a "freak of nature" to some..but he's just extra special to his mom!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts