Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my moms is a raw feeder.. but her (and my) dirty little secret is I can't get her to stop feeding kibble too! Not only does she feed kibble, but she leaves it down 24/7. :foxes15:

I've told her it can cause tummy issues, impaction, etc. Doesn't listen. Her older dog has CONSTANT runs, because not only does she OVER feed the raw, but the kibble is snacked on whenever.

Now, she's got a new puppy, and ofcourse.. kibble down all the time.

Ugh!

Also - on a side note, she is not training them too well. Both dogs are/will be over 90lbs and she lets the eldest growl and try and assert dominance WAY too much with the pup. I know some is necessary, but geeze, Mom! The puppy walks under the adult, and the adult snaps and growls. :confused: She just watches and ignores.. I had to correct the adult dog after she cornered the pup and wouldn't stop snarling. I also had to correct the pup because it was harassing their poor cat.

*rant done!*

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Urgh how annoying my parents don't have any dogs but are converted raw feeders

Personally I don't see the point in mix and matching kibble and raw pre made or dehydrated I get kibble I don't

Chuck a chicken at her

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL sarah.

I WANT to chuck a chicken at her!! She says this way she "doesnt have to worry that they're not missing any nutrients". I just pull my hair out.

She's just l-a-z-y. She doesn't want to worry about making sure her raw diet is okay (I suggested a schedule - easy!) she says "nooo *whine* too hard". BLAH!

I guess I should just be happy they get some raw? She also gives them WRECK bones ALL THE TIME. Can't get her to stop. :(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ha ha Sarah. :)

I'd say she's going to have two very obese dogs if she doesn't already! Free feeding kibble plus raw = fat dog.

One thing that is a pet peeve of mine is how people overfeed raw. Then they fuss about loose stools. It's truly amazing how little is required! We are used to piling out plates and we want our dogs to have full plates too. Not realizing that is BAD for them!

Maybe you should kidnap the kibble. ha ha.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I don't agree with it nor understand it but hey whatever!

Lol we don't pile our plates up here I've always been shocked at portion sizes in the us when ie been there on holiday! Makes me wonder if wen people come here they wonder where the food is!

I can see how easily it is to over feed as the portion sizes are so small and I sometimes wonder how the girls are full up

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
UGH...gotta love parents! Isn't keeping the kibble in the diet sort of counter producting the benefits of raw?? Doesn't make sense at ALL. Obviously her pups are having issues with the runs & such. And I agree...I would have six FAT dogs if I free fed kibble and fed raw. Yikes!

I went to the grocery store with my mother this past weekend & she's basically grossed out we fed raw before & was *so* thrilled to hear we were going back. (I've tried talking sense into her so many times, even about premium kibbles, so I don't bother anymore) Anyway...on the way out I spotted a bag of Kibbles n Bits in her cart so I, of course said "Awww Kibbles n Bits?!". She's like "I told Gabby (my 12yo) I had to try to hide it so you didn't see". So again, I did my whole "that's the equivalent of you eating McDonalds all the time" (she's a big health nut--go figure!) & you know what she said?! "Holly **her Golden Retriever** isn't fat!!". Ok...for someone who is so health conscious & works IN A HOSPITAL, she should know being fat isn't the only risk factor of eating such an unhealthy diet. :roll:

Anyway, I hear ya...gotta love parents! :mad:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Lol we don't pile our plates up here I've always been shocked at portion sizes in the us when ie been there on holiday! Makes me wonder if wen people come here they wonder where the food is!
HAHAHAHA Sarah. Sooo true. Nowhere else in the world have I ever gotten such a full plate of food as in the US, and I've been to a LOT of places. Our whole society encourages over-eating and thus why so many of us are big fat lards ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I've been slowly helping my mom transition to raw, "gently". She feeds THK in the AM and pre-made frozen raw in the evening. She said she cannot believe how much healthier and less stinky her doggy is...She also gives him bone in chicken a few times a week. I'm not sure she will be able to process a higher level of raw that that, but I gave her her chi so I feel sort of responsible that he at least not be getting puppy mcdonalds eg. kibble!

HAHA our dog growing up was fed Gravy Train. Because us kids thought it looked "yummiest". And he did fine, was healthy, never had any problems. But he died at around 10 years old from hanging himself...my guess is had he gotten much older, we'd have been struck with a plethora of vet bills.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
HAHAHAHA Sarah. Sooo true. Nowhere else in the world have I ever gotten such a full plate of food as in the US, and I've been to a LOT of places. Our whole society encourages over-eating and thus why so many of us are big fat lards ;)
Lol i didn't want to say that incase I got accused of being nationalist lol I did notice a lot of obese people were in mobility scooters it's upsetting I bet their dogs are fat too :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah, there are many overweight dogs here. Not so much where I live because its a very active outdoorsy part of the country, but yeah, its sad. I don't think its that hard to keep a dog a healthy weight lol, certainly easier than keeping a people a healthy weight :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
When we took Lily to the vet to get weighed he said Lily was the perfect weight. He said alot of people are going to tell me she is underweight/underfed and I may even think she's underweight (I don't though, cuz the vet said she wasn't lol) because we are used to seeing overweight dogs now. Poor doggies :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts