Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have always had a tough time getting Oakley to eat. :foxes15: But for about 2-3 weeks she ate VERY well. And now she's back to completely ignoring her food when its put down for her :-/

The only time she's eaten in the past 5 days is when *shameful glance* husband or I have sat and handfed her kibble by kibble.

I'm about to scream, LOL. Shes lost 3 ounces and is back to 3 lbs 1 ounce.

Any ideas on what I can do? This is ridiculous, she has to eat. Whoever said a dog wouldn't starve itself to death hasn't met my Oakley.

We give no table treats or scraps and only give 1-2 small treats each day (Zuke's mini nauturals usually). She gets bully sticks but she never actually "eats" them as we got the really thick ones to make chewing more of a priority over eating.

All the other 3 eat fine. What's her deal? We can't sit and handfeed a 1 year old dog and I'm guessing we shouldn't... :-/

Hubby did give everyone a raw egg to split on Saturday and I'm wondering if she just wants to be raw fed, LOL.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Sounds like she is just bein fussy and like others told me on here tryin to train you! lol
My 2 started turnin them noses up, and i too hand fed some kibble.
Therese suggested i rub the bowls with a tasty treat.
I used chicken and cheese at times, and still do this now and then.
I also change up the flavours of their Acana so they dont get bored.
The rubbin of the bowls helped a lot, maybe try that.

Some also say to nuke it in the microwave for a very short burst to bring the flavour out more.
I find if i give them something they are not used to as a treat they play funny beggars afterwards with their food for a while, like they are holdin out for more goodies. lol

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Could you do one of your raw meals today just so she gets something in her? I panic when Daisy doesn't eat its like i'm always sure soemthing is wrong with her!! Is she generally picky or just with her kibble??

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like she is just bein fussy and like others told me on here tryin to train you! lol
My 2 started turnin them noses up, and i too hand fed some kibble.
Therese suggested i rub the bowls with a tasty treat.
I used chicken and cheese at times, and still do this now and then.
I also change up the flavours of their Acana so they dont get bored.
The rubbin of the bowls helped a lot, maybe try that.

Some also say to nuke it in the microwave for a very short burst to bring the flavour out more.
I find if i give them something they are not used to as a treat they play funny beggars afterwards with their food for a while, like they are holdin out for more goodies. lol
I tried melting cheddar cheese on it I was desperate to get her to eat and what does she do? She sucks the cheese off the kibble and eats not a single kibble :confused: I also have tried chicken baby food. Sucks that right off too. Same with canned food, lol, she's being ridiculous though.

I will try rubbing the bowl with a tasty treat though, that might work because there's nothing to suck off then.

We are switching our two girls to Acana this week (slowly, over the next 2 weeks)...we will see if she likes the new food better.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you do one of your raw meals today just so she gets something in her? I panic when Daisy doesn't eat its like i'm always sure soemthing is wrong with her!! Is she generally picky or just with her kibble??
She has turned her nose up at cheese pizza before, but I think because they only get doggie foods/natural treats. She really likes the Zuke's. They get raw Mon-Wed-Fri so she will be having that tonight and I know she will eat but ... NAUGHTY! I will give her a bit more than she needs/bone heavy so that she gets some gas in her tank ;-)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
She has turned her nose up at cheese pizza before, but I think because they only get doggie foods/natural treats. She really likes the Zuke's. They get raw Mon-Wed-Fri so she will be having that tonight and I know she will eat but ... NAUGHTY! I will give her a bit more than she needs/bone heavy so that she gets some gas in her tank ;-)
LOL i'd turn my nose up at pizza too!! She sounds like me :rolleyes:

I can't believe she sucked cheese off thats so funny..i know you must be so frustrated but to me thats just hilarious..i always thought dogs just ate anything they could possibley eat ha ha

Haghah i bet she eats her dinner too!! Maybe when you change her over she'll love it and eat more..

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We will see how it goes! Its annoying that this little 3 lb thing can be such a brat lol. I worry about her too, she shouldn't be losing 3-4 ounces in a week :-/

It would be easy to feed raw if I could just always slap down a chicken wing lol.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
It would be easy to feed raw if I could just always slap down a chicken wing lol.
Well, you almost can! A chicken wing, a few ounces of beef or pork, a tin of sardines, a bite of liver and kidney. Voila - you're done and you're feeding raw! :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you almost can! A chicken wing, a few ounces of beef or pork, a tin of sardines, a bite of liver and kidney. Voila - you're done and you're feeding raw! :)
Will they learn to eat it faster though? It's like an hour long debacle lol. I probably won't actually take the plunge till Bryco is at least 4-5 months. But with my struggle as far as kibble has gone and whatnot, I'm getting sick of it lol, and I don't really think raw will cost me that much more in the long run and once I'm used to it it shouldn't be bad. Even just the 3 meals a week has helped a lot with their teeth. =-D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Kristi i started Daisy on raw at 10/11 weeks

Daisy is eating her meals quicker now she use to take about 45 mins to eat (did my head in when i was in a rush) and now she takes 10 mins max if its a boney meal!! Non boney meals are about 3 minutes!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nugget has been ignoring his kibble lately. He'll eat wet dog food, but I don't like giving that to him much, because... well, let's just say it's not so great later...

I'm going to try using a food topper, to see if that entices him. There's a bacon flavored one, and Nugget is all about bacon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am so glad I saw this thread, Bailey won't eat either, he will eat a little if I hand feed him and I too put some cheese on his food and he slurps it right off and leaves the rest. I have even cooked him nice stuff but after a little bit he goes off that too. Bailey is losing a little weight too, he never turns his nose up to a treat though. I am really worried. Other than that he is absolutely fine, he plays and runs around like mad. He is going to the vets next week to be castrated as he has just started scenting his territory and trying to hump your foot at night lol. He is also still teething. Can any of this have an impact on why he isn't eating?

Joy xx

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes teething can make them not want to eat. I've also heard changing what you offer them can make them picky. At sexual maturity most dogs slow down in growth too, so your little guy may just be less interested in food.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks. We have tried other foods so that probably hasnt helped. As from tomorrow we are going to put his usual food down and pick up after 10-15 minutes and see how he goes with that for a few days. It's hard though when they don't eat, so worrying.

Joy xx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts