Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend came home during his lunch break to check on Oreo as he often does to make sure she is handling being home without people and all that. When he got to the room she was left in, she wasn't there. She wasn't anywhere in the house. The doors were unlocked and the house alarm wasn't on, so he thought maybe someone came in and stole her. He called up his parents and brother and neither had taken her. Then he got a hold of his other brother, and turns out he had taken her to a dog park with their other dogs (one is a great dane and one is a chow chow). For one thing, I don't think it is very appropriate to take a 2 pound chihuahua to a dog park where there could be dogs that are much bigger and with the risk that some may be vicious or unsocialized, but worst of all is the fact that she has only had her first 2 set of shots. I was VERY pis.sed off to hear that he took my dog who is not yet fully vaccinated to a dog park without my or my bf's permission. Ugh.

Now, I need some proof that it is bad to take a dog outside (on the grass and such) when they are not fully vaccinated, because his brother does not believe this is true. Can someone provide me with a link that I can use as proof?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Here's some proof for you... I got this off a veterinarian's website:

NO puppy should be at the bark park or other public places until their vaccine series are completely finished! This means 17 weeks of age, which is one week after they've had their last 5-in-1 and their Rabies vaccine. A younger puppy that is "current" on vaccines may still have a chance of being unprotected and susceptible to getting diseases such as Parvo and Distemper. A puppy receives antibodies from its mother through nursing.

Although they protect the infant puppy, these antibodies interfere with vaccines that are given. It is impossible to predict exactly when the level of maternal antibodies in a pa rticular puppy drops to unprotected levels or to levels that don't interfere with our vaccines--each dog is different. This is why we booster these vaccines when dogs are puppies, because we are dealing with maternal antibody interference. So we give puppies vaccines every 2-3 weeks to try and minimize the time frame that a puppy is left unprotected when its maternal antibodies decline and it's time for the next vaccine. The one thing we do know is that by the age of 16 weeks, there is no maternal antibody interference. So that is when we give the last booster. The reason we don't just wait until the puppy is 16 weeks old is that every puppy is different, and although one puppy can have mom's antibodies protecting him or her for 12 weeks before they decline, another puppy can have mom's antibodies decline to unprotected levels at 8 weeks! The "myth" that your puppy needs a certain "number" of vaccines is not correct. It's not the number of vaccines that is important. What's important is that your puppy get vaccinated regularly from the time it's away from mom until he or she is 16 weeks old.

And because we never know when maternal antibodies in any particular puppy are dropping, puppies under 16 weeks old should NOT be at a bark park or anywhere else in public because there may be a chance they will susceptible to disease.

If that's not enough, here's an article about parvo - http://www.petplace.com/Articles/artPrinterFriendly.asp?conID=16188
Also the CKC has a bunch of articles about non-fully vaccinated puppies and the dangers out there ... http://www.continentalkennelclub.com/Articles.aspx?type=health

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If someone took Cooper without my permission, they'd find me right in their face pretty darn quick. And if they took him somewhere where other dogs could harm him, they'd find me in their face pretty darn quick... but I'd have a double barrell shotgun with me.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Oh man, if someone took my pup out without me knowing there would be h*ll to pay!!! And if someone tried to tell me how to take care of my puppy....oh man.

You tell him that I am a vet tech and that its not safe to take your pup out into the public where other dogs go until they are fully vaccinated (usually by 16wks). You dont know what dogs are vaccinated or not and a totally unvaccinated pup can get very sick!

Also tell him not to touch ur dog without permission.....its not his dog its urs and frankly u owe him no explination for how u raise him...u tell him we all said that too!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I can honestly tell you that if that happened with Angel, all h*ll would break loose. That was a very irresponsible thing the brother did. No question about it. And the fact that he took her without your permission is just off the charts. :evil:

They most DEFINITELY need their entire series of shots before going out in public. With Angel, I wouldn't even let her in my own backyard until she had all her shots!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I would have beat him to a pulp.... I took Gadget with me but he never left my arms until he was all done with his series of shots....

Everybody I know laughed at me... and I told them I didn't care what they said I was doing what I know is right for my dog....

that is all there is to it....

even my best friend laughed at me until she started thinking... she had just moved into her house a couple months pryor to me getting gadget and she said it would be fine to put him onthe groundd and I told her no it is not safe.. there has been so many wild animals(she has a pack or coyotes around there) in her yard that it is definantly nos healthy... then the light bulb wnet on in her head and she said I was right and it was good thinkning....

I didn't even get to say anything about pets and their illnesses....

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
hmmm :? maybe he thought he was doing a good think but didnt think about it properly. I personally would bring down the house if anyone did the same with deano. Maybe you should speak to him and tell him it was thoughtful but never take him without permission and use his head next time.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It's easy to say next time. how would he feel if there werent a next time? Not me I would take my dog to the vet and have tests done 5-10 days after as a precaution and throw him the bill. Am i being over dramatic here?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts