Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilemma.

My husband and I have to leave the country for about a week and half, at fairly short notice. It's kind of an "emergency" of sorts, and the dogs can't come with us.

The big dogs are easy - they are absolutely NOT friendly with other dogs, or handleable by incompetent kennel staff, so they go to the one boarding kennel that still offers kennels/runs and won't muck with your dog too much.

But this is the first time we'll be leaving Epic behind. So, do I leave her at the kennel run place, or try a homestyle boarding option?

Pros of the kennel run facility - they give her a space that's safe and secure. She goes out 3 times per day for 15 to 20 minutes. They'll stick to her feeding schedule, and keep her clean. Other than that it is a very unwelcoming environment. We chose it for our big dogs because they *CANNOT* do the homestyle boarding/dog daycare thing - it'd be a disaster. I know that if we left Epic with this kennel, she'd come home clean (even if they bathed her just prior to us picking her up) and in one piece.

On the other hand, the in-home boarding thing seems great in theory. Supposedly Epic would have access to a couch/bed, and basically be expected to be part of the boarding host's family. What I don't like about it is that she'd be expected (nay, she *MUST*) play well with any other dog she meets. Okay, she's great 75% of the time but she's still a dog, and if another dog is a jerk, she'll let them know it. I don't like everyone I meet... Why should she have to? The other thing I don't like is that they take dogs *OFF PROPERTY* for walks around the city parks, usually with off-leash play. Yeah, when I am there that's great. But most people (even well-meaning people) are dog behaviour idiots. Epic could be hurt or scared.

So what would you do? Sterile, cold, unfriendly environment that can be trusted to give her back clean and in one piece? Actually, it isn't even that it is unfriendly... The staff is great... It's just a plain concrete kennel. Or would you go with the warm-fuzzy in-home boarding solution that would be my pick in theory, if it worked out... But could also very easily not work out and become a dangerous situation?

I know it doesn't seem like there is much to think about, but I wanted to ask what you folks would do. More can go wrong with a little dog than a big dog. We aren't used to dealing with these considerations.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
i wouldnt like to be in your shoes
when we only had the akitas we used
to kennel them with akita specilists.
since we have the smallies we pay my
20yo niece to stay at our house. the dogs know and love her
plus the added security of someone at the house.
she only brings one friend, if she had a party she knows
she wouldnt be paid!

·
Registered
946 Posts
So there is no possibility of putting her in a carry on and taking her? :(
What about family or a friend who has been around her? Sorry for your dilemma!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Does your vet board? Mine does, they are in the vet office in the back, in climate controled spaces, you bring their bed, blanket and food so they have exactly what you want them to have, and the staff take them out three times a day into a large fenced in area, one by one, to run around, potty and such. My vet is open 24/7, so there is always someome there and if they get sick, they will treat if you sign a treatment card. Otherwise, I think I would go with the sterile kennel if they let you bring Epic's bedding and blankets. Taking them out in public and off leash with people they don't know is asking for trouble IMO. And, if they could all be kenneled next to each other, they will still have each other's company until you get back.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The vet boards, but it is EXCEEDINGLY expensive, and Epic would actually have a much better space at the kennel run facility. At the vet, she'd have a small cage. At the boarding facility, she'd have a bigger space with access to an outside area (private) appropriate for even the smallest dogs. So I wouldn't choose my vet, I don't think.

I do know the staff at the kennel facility would take care of her, and I am not worried about that... It just doesn't seem like it'd be much fun for her, and it would not feel like home. :(

Unfortunately there is NO possibility we can bring her. We usually do bring her, which is why we haven't had to leave her before... But we are flying to Australia because my husband's storage unit urgently needs to be emptied (the company is closing, we need to unload his stuff and re-load a box at a different storage facility) and the quarantine rules make it impossible to bring her for just a short time.

ETA: We can most certainly take Epic's bed and blankets, and they will even feed her raw diet. It's certainly the "safe" option. She won't be able to be next to the other two dogs, though, because the kennel separates small dogs from large dogs (into separate buildings) for safety. So she'd be all alone if we go this route. But I do like that they separate small dogs from large dogs from all other perspectives.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add that we're taking the opportunity (since we're spending so much to fly there anyway) to visit family my husband hasn't seen in 3 years, and I've never met, which is why he is not going alone. Besides, we can all use a little vacation right! Then I get to help him do the move, which is a bonus for him.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I should add that we're taking the opportunity (since we're spending so much to fly there anyway) to visit family my husband hasn't seen in 3 years, and I've never met, which is why he is not going alone. Besides, we can all use a little vacation right! Then I get to help him do the move, which is a bonus for him.
Sounds like the kennel is the answer then. Just make it as homey as you can ( bed, blankets, maybe some old cloths that you can wear and not wash so he has something more with your scent with him, toys, his dishes--anything you can think of). And, above all, the dogs will be fine in a safe environment, so you need to then focus on not feeling guilty and having a nice time :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree with making the kennel situation as homey as possible. I leave mine in a small dog boarding facility, and as I have commented before, two of my four had so much fun they did not want to come home with me!!!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

My husband and I decided we definitely feel safest with Epic being in a kennel environment, where she won't leave the property and won't be at the mercy of someone else's judgement when it comes to her interactions with other dogs. So many times we come across professional dog walkers telling one dog to "play nice" when one of the other dogs is actually the silent bully. Less obvious to the dog walker, but clear as day to dogs - and to behaviourally savvy dog people. Presumably these are the same people who'd be handling Epic if we left her in a homestyle boarding arrangement.

Anyway, we also found a smaller facility that offers a bit of a middle ground - the dogs are in runs, they don't leave the property, but there's a securely fenced mini-forest she'd get to play in once a day under supervision. She'd like that. :) We are going to go check it out tonight. It's a bit of a hike, but worth it. It is even cheaper than our usual place (because it's out in the sticks) so it almost makes up for the gas to drive out there, haha!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
If she goes to the same kennel as the big dogs, will she be able to see them? She may be more comfortable if they were all at the same facililty. Don't know, that would depend on how well they get along on a daily basis. But it sounds like the kennel is the way to go! Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts