Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the girls bullies the other day. This will make it the third time they've had them, and the first two times I thought ok, they stink a bit, but I don't have to try to smell them..it's all good. Wow, so the ones I just bought are HORRIBLE..they stink soooo bad that I had to remove them from the house and let them eat them out in the garage! The packaging on them said low oder too..omg, I can't imagine.

So for those of you that have tried to odor free ones, how do they compare to the God awful stench of the regulars? Do your babies like them as well? Do you think these stinkin' things should be tossed? Like could they be bad or what?

Why must they try to lick my face right after munching on bull penis???

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Personally I hate it when they jump on your chest and drop the gummy, little piece they are chewing on! My lot love to eat their smelly chews on top of me if possible.
The other day though I bought them whole, dried oxtails. Big mistake!! bits of cow vertebrae all over the floor!!LOL:D

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oxtail..well that's one I haven't heard before. Seems like the stinkier the better as far they are concerned!

I got some samples of dried chicken liver for them too...they loved it! They reminded me of little pieces of seafoam without the chocolate.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We have the odor free ones from Best Bully's and they don't stink at all when new. Once the girls start chewing, there is a small amount of odor.

You have to be careful where you get the low/no odor ones because some of them are bleached to take out the odor.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I do NOT use regular bullies lol. Ew ew ew ew ew. Too stinky too stanky too icky, I'm picky! :p but in all seriousness, I do not do that kind of stinky.

That said, I really can't even smell the odorless ones they sell on best bully sticks. AND they are way cheaper than the ones you can buy in pet stores. Even after shipping. They also seem to last longer.

Smell wise, they are not noticeable unless you shove it right up to your nose and take a whiff. Even then, its not even remotely as bad as just being in the same room as the originals. Or maybe I just really can't handle the originals LOL.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can see why you don't do them Kristi. Seriously, it's bad. Bailey won't put hers down so she's been in the garage a lot today. I'm going to have to place an order for the stink free kind.

Does anyone know what they do to make them odor free?

LDmomma..I can't imagine anything was done with these bad boys as far as bleaching or what not, cuz they are BAD, but good to know..thanks!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I can see why you don't do them Kristi. Seriously, it's bad. Bailey won't put hers down so she's been in the garage a lot today. I'm going to have to place an order for the stink free kind.

Does anyone know what they do to make them odor free?

LDmomma..I can't imagine anything was done with these bad boys as far as bleaching or what not, cuz they are BAD, but good to know..thanks!
Best Bully's just let them dry longer. Supposedly it's the trapped moisture that makes them so stinky.

Some other brands use bleach to "kill" bacteria and remove odor. Avoid these.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Hmm. I've only bought Maya and Bruiser 2 bully sticks each their whole lives. One from one pet store and one from another dog food store and I never noticed any odor from either. I would say that maybe I just didn't notice, but I am sort of an odor nut. I seem to smell a lot of things that others don't. So I don't know. But I noticed nothing.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. I've only bought Maya and Bruiser 2 bully sticks each their whole lives. One from one pet store and one from another dog food store and I never noticed any odor from either. I would say that maybe I just didn't notice, but I am sort of an odor nut. I seem to smell a lot of things that others don't. So I don't know. But I noticed nothing.
I didn't notice anything the first two times either, but believe me, if you get a rank one YOU WILL NOTICE! It's a funk I can't quite describe and it filled up the room too. Some must just be more "bully" than others..dunno, but I don't think I'll be buying those anymore. Actually that hubby said "DON'T but those anymore!" lol

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've found a great brand of bullies at Fleet Farm. They're all natural and quite inexpensive. I guess I've been lucky because out of the five I've bought none of them have had any kind of odor. The brand escapes me right now but we're going to pick some more up today so I'll post the name when we get back. They make all sorts of natural, good-for-you animal parts dog chews, too. Bean and Zoey love their "Pumpers" (dehydrated cow hearts) and the tracheas too.

*ETA: I googled it. It's Jones Natural Chew Company. They have a very extensive line of chews and have a good website.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are They really bull penis? No way really, Okay if They r call Me dumb but Hubby said They where and I thought He was joking ! YEWWWW,Okay Bella Loves them and Mine never stink .

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Ive been there....I know how bad that stink is! Its like the WORST smelling stinky feet ever!! Blah.....ours went into the garbage

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are They really bull penis? No way really, Okay if They r call Me dumb but Hubby said They where and I thought He was joking ! YEWWWW,Okay Bella Loves them and Mine never stink .
I had no idea they were made out of bull penises. OMG!!! GAG!!! Jasmine likes 'em, but now that I think back on it I bit her bully stick while playing with her one day. LOL!!! :sign11:

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
When I open a new package, I place it in the garage. I let them "air out" a bit before
giving them to Tabitha and Jerry. That seems to work at our house.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, yes they are bull penis. I was a bit disgusted too, but hey they love them, so I'll try out some of the suggestions given here and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I bought the girls bullies the other day. This will make it the third time they've had them, and the first two times I thought ok, they stink a bit, but I don't have to try to smell them..it's all good. Wow, so the ones I just bought are HORRIBLE..they stink soooo bad that I had to remove them from the house and let them eat them out in the garage! The packaging on them said low oder too..omg, I can't imagine.

So for those of you that have tried to odor free ones, how do they compare to the God awful stench of the regulars? Do your babies like them as well? Do you think these stinkin' things should be tossed? Like could they be bad or what?

Why must they try to lick my face right after munching on bull penis???

Just last night I walked in to my bathroom (it is rather small and the door had been closed all day) and thought that it smelled a little bit like sewage. I was worried that the septic system might be backing up!!! Turns out it was the girls' bully sticks that had been left in the bathroom after I had come home from school. Ack!!

I hate finding when one of the two of them have burried their bullys in my bed!!!! Ick!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts