Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought of something :( I hadn't even considered.
When we go on our trip Finn will only have had 2 sets of shots I believe. And I got to thinking "how is he gonna pee on the drive there and back?" :confused: He doesn't potty outside yet, nor would i let him on the grass in strange places unless he was fully immunized. We're gonna be in the car like 16 or more hours i think.
Should i just like take the potty pad attached to the holder and sit it outside during a potty stop and hope he pees on it ? That sounds like it aint gonna work. :( yikes!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
He associates the potty pad with going so that may just work. It reminds me of when I was moving with my two cats. I had a big van and just let them loose in it as I was driving. All the sudden there was this horrible stink and all I could think of was I hope he didn't poo on something important. I got to where I was going and found out he had found the empty cat box and poo'd in there. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
He may pee in the carseat lol...Leah did that a few times when she was younger :( I always just put a potty pad down for pad trained puppies and they usually would wait and wait but finally go.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Ours has been washed a few times lol. Naughty little doggies. But obviously on the road thats less than ideal...can't throw it in the wash in the middle of nowhere. Asia would always pee right on a potty pad put down on the floor.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm sorry to Hijack ur post but I've been told by vets that as long as they have had 2 shots they are okay to have fun on the grass etc, just obviously don't bring them to like the spca or where sick dogs are.

We did that with Lincoln, and since he was a GR obviously potty pads weren't an option (he just ate them anyways) did I narrowly miss what could have been a very sick puppy??

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Do you have one of those potty pad holders? If not...the potty pad could blow away if you try and set it on the ground (Its happened to me).

I would ask your vet about Finn's immunity. He maybe OK. Lacey only had 2 sets of shots up until a month ago. I though she was done but nope :confused: I had her out everywhere before that.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Use a plastic bin. Line the bottom with the pee pad. Start now having him relieve himself on the pee pad in there and he will be ready to use "the porta-potty" on the trip. :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
When we first traveled when Yoshi was young I would take a little tiny kitty litter box with me and used litter in it. For what ever reason Yoshi just new immediately what it was for. In emergencies we would just look for a place that didnt seem very heavily populated by dogs. Restaurants, parks, and rest stops were out of the question as they are always places where dogs local with travelers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think as long as you dont bring them to where there are any sick dogs, or try and keep them away from unknown dogs you will be fine. I had Locco out on our "play field" from the very first day. Mind you though, i dont know if he had his shots or not so he may very well have gotten a third and forth shot as i wanted to be on the safe side. But before i took him in to the vet (once i understood the owner defenatly was not coing back for him) and discussed his situation and the option and gave him his shots, i had him aout and about playing with the other dogs. These were dogs i knew though, Lady's friends and i knew they all had their shots regularly.

Good luck with the move :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts