Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's only Trigger, but I would say 2-4 times per week he will be so hungry around meal time (we try to vary the time we feed them) that he will throw up little bits of bile.

My thinking is this is PROBABLY because raw digests much more quickly than kibble, and there is a good 12 hours between his meals (fed at around 7, and then between 5 and 8 pm)...?

I mean, he's healthy as a horse otherwise, a little chubby, but he's not on a diet because he's still puppy-aged (10 months). But I mean, he is being fed a healthy amount 2x a day.

Does he need to be fed lunch? That would be a pain, but he's very clearly hungry ALL the time, like starving hungry.

Kibble I know sits in their tummies for a long time but obv that doesn't seem to be the case w/ raw foods.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have to vary the meal times with my golden Shellie so she doesn't 'expect' meals, that helped with her bile barfs. So I would feed her like an hour earlier or later than normal. Since she wasn't 'anticipating' a meal at a normal time it helped her with barfs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've found my dogs will do this as well if they get fed once a day. Breaking up feeding into 2-3 meals offered over the course of the day solved this problem.

Try feeding him that lunch you mentioned for a week or so and see if the vomiting goes away. I bet it helps!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might just try to find some nutritious biscuits or maybe just plain jerky and give him some of that at noon. I am sure it will help. I just wonder if anyone else has noticed this as a result of raw...

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Give him a snack midday ish tell him he has some nom moms for Xmas!!

Daisy is a horrific puker but it's always in the am it's random and no pattern to it but she gets fed between 7 and 8.30 depending on what day of the week it is

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Matilda tends to get this problem...raw fed or not. When we did more scheduled feeding times she'd always vomit up some bile around meal time (and especially, god forbid, if I was a bit late in feeding!). Totally mixing up meal time solved the problem. I was even able to feed once a day when we started out doing raw (I'm doing two meals a day now though) & she didn't have the problem because sometimes they'd be fed in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon or sometimes late at night. I actually think she vomited less on one meal a day because she never knew when to expect food. Now she knows it's at least early in the day & later in the day though sometimes I'll wait to feed them now until 1pm or so.

Stella & Chewy's have some great "raw approved" treats called Carnivore Crunch. They're a really weird texture (almost like squished together cotton candy) but a couple of these would be a great mid day snack & my pups really love them! :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Our Faith has this problem too if I only feed her breakfast and dinner. I started giving her a small snack in the early afternoon and that has completely eliminated the problem. That small snack can be anything from a small piece of jerky, half a biscuit, a baby carrot...just something for her tummy to work on. ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok good, it sounds normal, LOL. I always worry there is something wrong. I am going to just start giving them a mid-day snack, something small, but something to keep their tummies goin'. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Chicken hearts and gizzards (in the white tub) are a great snack for small dogs and nutritious as well. The gizzards especially are very muscular so it takes a while to digest in their tummies, keeping them full longer.

I like Heather's idea of the carnivore crunch by Stella and Chewy's. I've used them. There are lots of healthy snacks you can get through bestbullysticks also.... dogitos (dried lungs, kind of like pringles), gator bites, dried ostrich, rabbit ears, etc.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chicken hearts and gizzards (in the white tub) are a great snack for small dogs and nutritious as well. The gizzards especially are very muscular so it takes a while to digest in their tummies, keeping them full longer.

I like Heather's idea of the carnivore crunch by Stella and Chewy's. I've used them. There are lots of healthy snacks you can get through bestbullysticks also.... dogitos (dried lungs, kind of like pringles), gator bites, dried ostrich, rabbit ears, etc.
I just ordered a bunch incl. the stella/chewy's :) I just think he needs a little something mid-day and then should be fine. Otherwise his belly is toooo hungry ;) He's such a little baby sometimes lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts