Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

If anyone could help i would be most greatfull.

I have a 5 month old short haored chihuahua and i can not get a collar on him even after weeks and weeks of trying.

Everytime you try to put it on he goes mad and really struggles and bites you

so unless you want your bit i cant do it.

Has anyone got any tips and ideas on this please.

Thanks very much if anyone can help me with this problem.

many thanks again

Craig.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Who's the boss here? Collar goes on. Let your chi flip out. They'll get over it. I have learned the tough love approach to things like this almost always works out best. What has happened is you have taught your chihuahua to resist you. That is not acceptable...and your chi now thinks all it has to do is throw a fit and resist what you want, and it gets what IT wants. Its a tiny dog. Have someone else hold it while you put the collar on if necessary.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
PS if you don't want him to bite you, put a sock on his head for a moment while you put the collar on, it acts as a safe, temporary muzzle.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Hi and welcome to the board! :)

I agree with Michele and Kristi, I would try to use a harness instead and this way it is safer for their Trachea (sp?) Also you are Alpha and your pup needs to know this. Use the sock idea or you can even have someone hold his muzzle when you put the collar on. Your pup should not be trying to bite you and if he is then you need to nip this in the bud now. Google "NILIF" (Nothing in life is free) this is a great training system that rewards a dog only when he does something for you first. It will establish you as Alpha in your home and this is how it should be ;-)

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I had a head shy dog when I first got him, (Reggie) I made the collar a little looser and just slipped it over his head just to get it on him as he was an escape artist and I wanted his tags on him. After he was used to it on, I worked with him letting me putting it on and off him. Just be careful not to pinch the skin when closing the clasp on the collar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all for getting back to me so quick

I will try putting a sock over his head first and see if that works.

I will let you all no how i get on.

Many thanks again all.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i would wait till my buster was very tired and laying on my lap and as i rubbed his neck i just easily put the collar on and it worked

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes i made the collar too big for him and managed to slip it on when he was asleep then tighten it up!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

Glad to see you got his collar on. Another option could be to use a cat collar as they usually have a bit of elastic so they can stretch to fit over his head & you won't have to tighten it later.

Basically what everyone has said is right though, you just need to persist & show him who is in charge & he'll just have to get used to it.

Our Holly was 9 months old when she came to live with us & had never worn a collar so was very unimpressed when she had one put on. She tried scratching & rubbing it off on everything but it only took a couple of days till she decided it wasn't so bad & now she is fine to have it on & off for baths, walks etc.

If you're intending to walk him on a lead I would suggest starting to introduce clipping that onto his collar/harness soon too so he gets used to having it on. :) Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi i never thought about a cat collar i will look into that thank you.

Well now its on im not going to take it off as it took so long to get it on!

Hes been on a few walks now so he seems to be getting used to it fingers crossed.
craig

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
awesome you got it on but a collar really only should be used for his tags so he has identification on , but when walking it is better to use a harness on a small dog due to the pressure on the neck causing damage to the Trachea .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts