Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new here. In January 2021, I adopted a 9-year-old chi lady (my former chi died in December at age 14). The adoption agency did not know much about her other than that she was found abandoned by her former guardians who apparently had moved away. They were unable to trace them based on the microchip info. She was in terrible condition but the orphan shelter had her thoroughly checked out and cleaned up. She is current with her vaccinations excpet for the rabies which she is going to get today.
I named her Lucy. While she has already come quite a long way, she still is rather stand-offish and does not appear to fully trust me just yet. She knows no commands, which made me wonder (1) was she deaf or (2) had she been with a Spanish-speaking family her original name was Mamacita!). Speaking to her in Spanish yielded no results, and the vet ruled out deafness.
Since I am old myself (83), I did not want to adopt a puppy who might outlive me and thus end up in a shelter. Lucy does like her daily walks; she is a lap-sitter but not lately either.....
Any suggestions / ideas?
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Give her time and love. She just got uprooted from the only family she had, gone through the shelter, then the adoption agency and who knows what else. She may not realize you will be her forever home, she may be waiting to be placed again. Give her time. And she just be an aloof dog. She can still provide companionship, something to love and care about. Each dog is different. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. You confirmed everything I had suspected re: Lucy's behavior.
Since her arrival at my home in January, she truly has come a long way and I wouldn't want to be without her and her amusing antics.
Thanks again for your encouragement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts