Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to keep my hoovers from begging and then running over to spilled food like they never eat? It is so annoying! They just hover around waiting for something to drop and it drives me absolutely insane. LOL. I know this is a dog thing, but there has to be a way to train it out of them.

Also how can I train them NOT to go under the couch? They used to ignore it but now that they've found it they are sneaking under there all the time.

Thanks guys ;)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I know what you are talking about! Dahlia stays in the kitchen
here and is right on my heels the whole time Im running back
and forth making dinner.Im scared of tripping over her.
I dont like to crate her though as she did nothing wrong and
the crate is a good place.My hubby takes her in on the couch if
she becomes too obnoxious.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I know what you mean about waiting for crumbs NInja is HORRIBLE he literally stares at people and whines the whole time you eat he also walks around the kitchen on his hind legs trying to look on the counter/stove etc. My parents always say he has little food bubbles floating around in his head (like when u draw a quote bubble coming from someones head and it has a pic in it) LOL

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean about waiting for crumbs NInja is HORRIBLE he literally stares at people and whines the whole time you eat he also walks around the kitchen on his hind legs trying to look on the counter/stove etc. My parents always say he has little food bubbles floating around in his head (like when u draw a quote bubble coming from someones head and it has a pic in it) LOL
LOL! Oh I love that.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
With my chi being allergic to so many different things & having twin 5 year olds who drop everything on the floor, I picked Midgie up & put her on the couch. Of course she came back in, so I did this a few times saying no & she got it & doesn't come in the kitchen/dining while we are eating. I also feed her her food while we eat & as soon as she's done she goes to the living room. They're pretty smart, just stubborn.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Peebo is the same way he gives you that look while your eating like he hasnt been fed in a week! I swear he has figured out a way to make himself look thinner and weak every time I sit down to eat LOL

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
LOL, yep Chloe is the exact same way - you would think I never feed her! Heaven forbid you try and eat a snack on the couch while watching TV - as soon as your rump hits the sofa Chloe is in your lap trying to see what you have! If pick her up and put her back on the floor and tell her no and two seconds later she is right back in my lap - I must do this 10 times or more before she finally gives up and goes find something else to get into which usually consist of pestering Colette and trying to steal a chewie away from her. LOL Smart - Yes, Stubborn - Double YES!!!! However she has yet to get a taste of human food yet even though she almost got her nose in my pudding cup the other night - boy did I do some fast hopping around! LOL

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I could eat a meal with Honey literally on my lap and she wouldn't beg or even look at me!
Every time she did I would say "ahuh" or "no" and now she just ignores people when they are eating. but if food was dropped on the floor she would hoover it up!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey is HORRENDOUS About this, once she ate a HUGE chunk of onion so I had to make her puke, I thought she would learn her lesson...nope, so they are in the living room with a baby gate when I am cooking (I'm too clutzy/messy) and spill things and didn't want to take chances with her eating onions again. I taught my Golden retriever "got to your spot" so she has a bed in the kitchen she hangs out on while I'm cooking.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey is always in the kitchen with me waiting for a snack to fall and goes crazy when the cheese grader comes out, she knows she will get a bite or two

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
LOL, yep Chloe is the exact same way - you would think I never feed her! Heaven forbid you try and eat a snack on the couch while watching TV - as soon as your rump hits the sofa Chloe is in your lap trying to see what you have! If pick her up and put her back on the floor and tell her no and two seconds later she is right back in my lap - I must do this 10 times or more before she finally gives up and goes find something else to get into which usually consist of pestering Colette and trying to steal a chewie away from her. LOL Smart - Yes, Stubborn - Double YES!!!! However she has yet to get a taste of human food yet even though she almost got her nose in my pudding cup the other night - boy did I do some fast hopping around! LOL
haha I don't know how you can resist her sweet face I would have the worst time saying no to her :D:D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Leave it is a very good "trick" to teach your doggies. As annoying as it it when they do this with food, imagine if it was your medicine or something. So that's where I'd start. Next, I wouldn't give them any food ever, in the kitchen. This has stopped ours. When we feed, I get the food out and portion it up, then leave it on the counter for 5 mins while the microwave timer counts down. When the timer goes off, they know it's time to eat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts