Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have planned to go to a beach in SC this Easter weekend. The beaches allow dogs so we're bringing along Hershey! It's our first time for us to go to a dog beach, does anyone have tips for our little chi?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Hershey is now exactly 6 months old and weighs 3.1 lbs!! Happy half-year birthday!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
the dog beach is soo much fun!!! the one where i live is really laid back everyone just lets their dogs run around its awesome to see so many dogs. a lot of the big dogs will stick together and play with each other but most of the time every dog has got to sniff every other dog's butt lol so hopefully hershey is used to big dogs because they will just run up and try to get a sniff. im sure u will have so much fun!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Only that you make sure you rinse the salt water off him thoroughly as soon as possible. Salt water is rough on their skin & coats. Dary and Kali loved the beach when we went to Florida and SC. We had Pablo down by the water for the first time since we've had him (the river flooded over part of the trail we were walking) and he showed no fear or dislike of it, so that was good news. Good luck and have a great time! I love SC; hubby and I lived in Goose Creek when we were first married (Navy man).

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hershey is just adorable.
How fun, be careful of walking to close to the shore that a wave can't come in and wash him away......

·
Registered
355 Posts
Another thing I thought of to watch out for is intriguing things washed up on shore. Dary and Kali found a dead pelican, which was the highlight of their vacation but not mine.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dog beach is soo much fun!!! the one where i live is really laid back everyone just lets their dogs run around its awesome to see so many dogs. a lot of the big dogs will stick together and play with each other but most of the time every dog has got to sniff every other dog's butt lol so hopefully hershey is used to big dogs because they will just run up and try to get a sniff. im sure u will have so much fun!

Thank you! I have brought her to a dog park here every now and again, so hopefully she doesn't get overwhelmed with all the dogs at the beach. I guess we'll find out!!

Only that you make sure you rinse the salt water off him thoroughly as soon as possible. Salt water is rough on their skin & coats. Dary and Kali loved the beach when we went to Florida and SC. We had Pablo down by the water for the first time since we've had him (the river flooded over part of the trail we were walking) and he showed no fear or dislike of it, so that was good news. Good luck and have a great time! I love SC; hubby and I lived in Goose Creek when we were first married (Navy man).
Thanks for the reminder about salt water! I almost forgot about that!

Hershey is just adorable. How fun, be careful of walking to close to the shore that a wave can't come in and wash him away......
Thank you Zoey's mom! I don't know what I would do if she gets washed away.. :-( We'll make sure to keep her safe. I'll post pics as soon as we get back!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to watch for the hot sand(not sure how warm it is there) with tiny feet. Have fun, love the beach.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pet Smart sells a doggy life vest! I have one for Chip because we go to the beach a lot and also my daughter canoes and we go to the river for that. The life vest is great and has a handle on top that is easy to grab in an emergency (like a rogue wave! ) . I think a bigger dog has an easier time in the waves, but our littles ones may need some extra protection! Have a great time!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I can think of is to watch for the hot sand(not sure how warm it is there) with tiny feet. Have fun, love the beach.
Thank you for the reminder. The highest will be 95degrees, so I think I'll be carrying her during the high temps.

Chimom4: Thank you!!! We went to Petsmart and got this for Hershey!! I think we're all set now. :hello1:

How do I look mom?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts