Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll say pray and thoughtful about your precious Sammy. I am sure she'll be ok. Just give her a lot of attention tonight and put her in the most warmest blanket. Feed her well. Don't bother her too much. She might be in the bad mood but just watch her carefully like a hawk. Sammy is so beautiful!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Re: Sammy's getting spayed today :(

ngtah00 said:
I dropped Sammy off this morning for her spay :(

Please keep her in your thoughts. I get to pick her up at 4:30 today. Anything i need to do to make her more comfortable tonight?
Follow your vets advice firstly!

After the excitement of being home they usually just want to sleep.

Only let her eat about 1/3 of her normal sized meal for the first feeding. Sometimes the anesthesia causes them to have upset tummys and they will throw up if you let them eat alot.

Don't allow her to lick the sutures or suture site. A lick here and there is ok, but if you notice she's doing it alot, put an e-collar on her. This is to keep her from pulling out the stiches and avoid infection.

If your vet gave you any pain medicine, you might want to give it to her for the first couple of days. Be sure to ask what time she should get her first dose at home.

Don't allow her to jump on or off of furniture for about a week to avoid the stiches from being pulled out.

Give her lots of love!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Help! I feel awful!

sammy is back at home now and resting in her crate. Her incision site looks a bit funny. There's some pink skin that looks like it is stretched tight and it's not smooth like I would have imagined? is this normal?

she's let out a few crys of pain. and I feel awful!!!

also the vet tech made me feel awful when she told me that sammy had the "mouth from hell." they had to remove some of her baby teeth and some permanent teeth. I have to brush more and stop feeding her anything other than dry food. I think it was bc I used to give her nutrical. The breeder told me to give her nutrical twice a day. She's used to getting it and I didn't brush her teeth regularly. So now she has to go back for a dental x ray and see if the remainder of the teeth will fall out. I feel like the worst mom ever!

The vet tech also said "you almost lost her back there." (right after she told me that sammy's teeth will probably all fall out). My mouth dropped and so did my friend's who went with me. The vet tech just meant that someone fell in love with sammy and wanted to take her home.

So I was told that Sammy needs pain meds in a few hours. How do I give her the pain med tabs? will she just swallow it?

Help! I feel awful!

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Glad she's home now

I don't think the nutracal can be the total cause of the teeth problem though.

Try puting the pill in a little bit of peanut butter or make a tiny cheese ball with the pill in the center.

Or if you want you can just open her mouth and put the pill as far back in her throwt as you can, quickly close her mouth and gently rub her throwt to get her to swallow. This worked better with my big dogs though.

I use peanut butter or nutracal for pills with the chis.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Re: Help! I feel awful!

ngtah00 said:
The vet tech also said "you almost lost her back there." (right after she told me that sammy's teeth will probably all fall out). My mouth dropped and so did my friend's who went with me. The vet tech just meant that someone fell in love with sammy and wanted to take her home.
Geez Louise, that line scared me. :shock: I'm sure he or she meant it in the best possible way.

I'm glad your baby is home. Sending good thoughts your way. :)

·
Registered
974 Posts
That Vet Tech is a tail! I don't know how old Sammy is, but surely her mouth couldn't have been that bad! :roll:

I'm glad she's home ... just love on her. Love's the best medicine!! :love4:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Glad to hear little Sammy is home safe and sound....she will probably sleep thru the night with her pain meds...After she is feeling better, I would speak to the vet about the tech's lack of professional behavior....she really needs a refresher course in how to speak with client's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update #2

I posted this update on the chi pictures as well:

So I saw Sammy panting to the point of discomfort and I called the vet. He told me that it's probably from the discomfort of having so many teeth pulled or from the spay. Just leave her in a dark room, warm, etc.

Anyway, I proceeded to ask if it was true that they pulled her permanent teeth out today and they would fall out soon because her mouth was so bad. He told me that was NOT true, they were just 8 baby teeth that he had to pull out. But the long term prognosis on her teeth was unknown because of the baby teeth being there so long. So I told him that the vet tech up front gave me a heart attack telling me that her teeth was going to fall out. I am so mad that this woman goes and says the first thing out of her mouth and exaggerates! Why is she working there?? I wish I could have recorded the conversation with her so I could play it to her boss, the vet! UGH

By the way, THANK YOU to everyone for being so supportive! I couldn't have found a better family that you to help me get through this :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Glad to hear Sammy is ok after the spay.

I think it was wrong of that vet tech to tell you all her teeth are going to fall out...the only person who should be making a diagnosis like that is the vet...not a technician, IMO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to work as a Vet Tech and I would NEVER EVER EVER tell an owner that "you almost lost her back there." right after a procedure! How insanely insensitve to put that in such a way...she should have just told you someone fell in love with your pup!

And to make a furture diagnosis about the dental health of your pup is COMPLETELY out of line. That is something she is not qualified to do! She may have an opinion, but that is all that it is....grrr. People like that get me all angry!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts