Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! It's been a crazy day and I am just now getting to sit down at the computer. Here's the update on our little Madi.

We met with a nice dr at the vet clinic in Indianpolis that our vet suggested. He was super patient with us and explained what was going on with Madison the best he possibly could. He thinks her right knee is phase 2 and we can just watch it. The left knee, though, the one that she's been having problems with, is at stage 3 right now. So, he thinks she will have to have surgery on that knee at some point.

We went back and forth for like an hour, and with his recommendation, have brought madi home for some more observation over the next few days. I was just feeling very rushed into making a decision and he didn't want that at all.

So, we're giving her the Metacam (pain reliever) and try and restrict her movement as much as possible (ha). We've put her pen back up and will be keeping her in that when we're not home. when we are home, we're just supposed to restrict her movements as much as possible and try and keep her as calm as possible.

He thinks there's a chance, however slight, that the trauma from the fall, might be making it worse than it really is...

...that being said, Tim and I still expect that we'll be scheduling surgery for her next week, but I will feel like we at least gave her a little time to try and heal on her own before subjecting her to surgery and 8-12 weeks of recovery time.

so, that's where we are right now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,837 Posts
Emily thank you for taking the time to update all of us.
I love Ms. Madison if she was one of my own pups.
Her Xmas card still hangs on my fridge. God Bless
you both and good luck to both of you. I'm glad
you are taking your time with her and all decisions.
All the best from Jasper, Hannah and myself.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,960 Posts
I am so glad you have given an update on Madison.. You sound like a very wise family to take your time to consider all your options and not be rushed into a decision. I will continue to send up healing prayers for you all. Blessings, Deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
Thanks for the update Emily. I hope that you are feeling a bit better now that you have good info and a clear idea of what is going on with Madi. she is a really sweet girla and lucky to have such a caring family..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,558 Posts
.... I was just feeling very rushed into making a decision and he didn't want that at all....
now you have time to take a breath and absorb all of this. you have had a whole lot coming at you really fast; especially since you didn't know Madi has LP... good for you for stepping back and getting it all together before you make this choice. I hope Madison is accepting her limitations right now--it's hard to keep a puppy down for long :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, everyone!

Madi is definitely wanting to play a lot - and it's hard to keep her still, but she's doing better than i really thought she would be doing at this point. i'm just really hoping a few days and she'll be back to herself - but am prepared to do surgery if we need to - once we know it is the best option for her. In the meantime, I'm looking for some glucosamine and fish oil to hopefully start giving her asap. Does anyone have any brands they recommend for puppies?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Hi, everyone! It's been a crazy day and I am just now getting to sit down at the computer. Here's the update on our little Madi.

We met with a nice dr at the vet clinic in Indianpolis that our vet suggested. He was super patient with us and explained what was going on with Madison the best he possibly could. He thinks her right knee is phase 2 and we can just watch it. The left knee, though, the one that she's been having problems with, is at stage 3 right now. So, he thinks she will have to have surgery on that knee at some point.

We went back and forth for like an hour, and with his recommendation, have brought madi home for some more observation over the next few days. I was just feeling very rushed into making a decision and he didn't want that at all.

So, we're giving her the Metacam (pain reliever) and try and restrict her movement as much as possible (ha). We've put her pen back up and will be keeping her in that when we're not home. when we are home, we're just supposed to restrict her movements as much as possible and try and keep her as calm as possible.

He thinks there's a chance, however slight, that the trauma from the fall, might be making it worse than it really is...

...that being said, Tim and I still expect that we'll be scheduling surgery for her next week, but I will feel like we at least gave her a little time to try and heal on her own before subjecting her to surgery and 8-12 weeks of recovery time.

so, that's where we are right now...
Hope everything goes well for Madi. I didn't realize that you were in IN. So am I.

Michelle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
This is my recommendation.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+58+15248&pcatid=15248

It's a Joint Support kit, containing three products. If it's too expensive for you (and I can certainly understand that) I recommend getting just the Joint Care 2, which you can order separately. It contains glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM which are the three primary supplements needed for joint health.

You'll have to order these online from Drs.Fosters & Smith. I urge you to try Madi on the supplements for a little while before you make the decision to have the surgery. I've seen some pretty amazing results from these products. My roommate has pugs, and the older one, Bandit, was hobbling around, barely able to walk before she got him on this. He had a pretty amazing resurgence for a 12 year old dog!

I know you're concerned for Madi, but there is no immediate need for surgery, so you have time to see if supplements won't make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
madison. Please don't rush into surgery. Moochi was diagnosed with Luxating Patella right with a grade 3 and left with a grade 2 in early december. I left her at my boyfriend's dad's house for 4 days and she came back limping. I have always fed her raw, but I suspect when she stayed at my boyfriend's parents house she was fed kibble. Once I put her back on raw, she got much better. Her right knee still pops in and out but she is no longer limping(last month her knee only popped out 3 or 4 times). Moochi isn't limping anymore and she still jumps up and down and runs like crazy every night. I have spoken with a great homeopathic vet who is helping me with her problem. Right now she is on a glucosamine/msm and vitamin c supplement for 3 to 4 months, if her condition hasn't change, he will prescribe her homeopathic remedies. My normal vet also pushed me for surgery, but I am not comfortable with putting my baby through it. There are other options, have you given it a try before surgery? Please save surgery as a last resort.

Also I want to mention that Moochi is bow legged. According to my homeopathic vet, she is genetically defective, but he says that the reason she isn't limping even though she is bow legged is because with proper diet and hygiene we can change the potential of genetic expression.

I am in the same boat as you are madison, if you want to talk about more none invasive treatments you can pm me.

Good luck with everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
one of our girls has a deformed thigh bone which has pushed her knee out into a permanent grade 4. I took her to the vet that specialises in orthopedics in our area. As she was young the surgery was postponed until she had finished growing. we on the later visit it turns out the vet had just been to a conference on LP and the new way of thinking is if they are not in pain then to leave well alone as major surgery on something that is not causing distress can sometimes make things worse. fantastic news for us and our girl as after the first initial week after the knee jumped out the pain stopped. now our girls knee will never return as it is caused by this deformed bone and she has a strange gait BUT she is fit and healthy and in no pain win win. So don't opt straight away for the op she may not need it. But just in case you had thought about it she must never be bred from as there is a high risk this could pass on to her puppies....good luck and keep us informed about how she gets on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,596 Posts
Good luck with everything Emily.
It's good to take your time i think and see what's what first.
Be thinking of you. xxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
thanks, everyone!

Madi is definitely wanting to play a lot - and it's hard to keep her still, but she's doing better than i really thought she would be doing at this point. i'm just really hoping a few days and she'll be back to herself - but am prepared to do surgery if we need to - once we know it is the best option for her. In the meantime, I'm looking for some glucosamine and fish oil to hopefully start giving her asap. Does anyone have any brands they recommend for puppies?
I give K9 Granol Factory Procare Series 100% Organic Pro-Joint (for strong bones and joints) As it says it is actually 100% organic and I have seen improvement within a couple of days IMHO. Here's the http://www.k9granolafactory.com and they are based in Pa. I really like this and my guys take it with no problems it looks like a treat.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,071 Posts
Em, I hope Madi starts feeling much better. So much all at once. I know this has been a roller coaster for you. Please continue to update. Keeping them still is like asking a brick to get up and walk, isn't it? :lol: I always laugh when my vet says that. I do hope these next few days show marked improvement. (((Hugs))) Kisses to Ms. Madi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Thanks for the update, you got Madi around the same time I got my Lola. I know how I'd feel if I was going through this with her. We all love her here, I'm so sorry you're going through this. Hugs to you and give Madi a big old kiss from me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much for all the input. madi seems a TEENY TINY bit better last night and this morning. She's definitely got a little of her spark back and doesn't look like she's hurting at all anymore. Her left leg is still up a lot, but i could see she was trying to work with it some last night (in those brief moments I let her walk around to eat, potty, chew, etc).

So, i'm hopeful. tim keeps telling me to try and not get my hopes up so i won't be disappointed next week (he still thinks we'll be taking her to surgery) but any progress that could help us avoid that - even for just a year - would be great!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,071 Posts
Keep up the good work Ms. Madi. We are pulling for you over here. Lots of speedy recovery wishes, hugs and kisses sent from me and The Chi Wee's. We love you little Angel! Get well soon! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
hope madi feels better soon! Her and Lexie are pretty close in age and i can't imagine how you must be feeling. stay positive! if she needs surgury then it happens and she'll heal quick as she's young. just dont feel rushed into a decision that may not be necessary right now. i mean if madi had a fll it would probably be making the lp seem worse anyway, so maybe when the pain from the fall goes she'll improve.

in my thoughts
Jade x
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm just going to keep using this thread for updates on Madi, since it's easier for me to keep everything in once place.

It's Saturday morning, and I really feel like she's getting better, slowly but surely. she's limping still, but she isn't holding her knee up as high as she was, and I feel like she's using all fours more often.

When she sits on my lap and I rub her leg, I can feel the kneecap protruding - and even i, just barely touching her, can feel it pop into place and back out.

So, Tim still thinks surgery, but I'm really leaning toward giving her a couple more weeks to heal before going that route. We'll see how we feel on Monday, though.

I don't want her hurting and in pain (we're still giving her the Metacam once a day), but I so don't want to put her through surgery, either!
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top