Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I posted a thread about my pup and how she was hypoglycemic. Well, she had to go back to the vet again. She got tested for parvo and her blood sugar level. The results: Negative for parvo and her blood sugar was 21(normal is above 60!).

The vet said that if I wanted to, I could get blood work done to see if her organs were functioning correctly. But I had to decline. I have no money for that. Only for her much needed vaccinations. I know that sounds stupid, but my family and I are trying real hard.

I hope nothing else is wrong with her because I spent a lot on her trips to the vet for hypoglycemia (Not that it matters. I want her to be better). I love her soooo much, but I just don't have the money to do a whole lot. I would just want you all to pray for her to get well and pray that nothing else is wrong with her. She's my little baby, like how all your pets are your babies, aside from the ones you may have of course! Thanks for all the support on the other thread!

Thanks again,
Stephanie

·
Registered
677 Posts
oh my goodness my heart is breaking for you and your chi. I will definitely be praying for you and I am sure God will provide whatever is necessary for your puppy to get well

Don't worry all will be well

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
oh poor baby, is there a vet school in the area? it doesnt hurt to look sometimes you can get great discounted care and they are overseen by a licensed vet. keep alot of nutrical or kayro syrup on hand. Is it possible its is diabetic? or that you can call who you purchased her from to find out. my prayers are with you and your baby

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Oh, Stephanie, I am so sorry to hear about this... :cry: I hope somehow you get the means to make little Dixie better. You both are in my prayers!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She's still weak from the IV fluids. I still have to force feed her. It's crazy because she is so thin (I can see her ribs more). It really scares me because it looks like she's dying. I feed her every 30 minutes to get some weight on her. My dad introduced her to some chicken(just meat, no skin mixed into her food) and she really likes eating it, but I don't want her eating chicken too long or else she'll get used to it. We're hoping she'll be okay. I'll keep you all posted as the days go by... Thanks again for everything!!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
at this point I would allow her to eat what ever she will if its chicken so be it worry about the getting to use to it when she has her health back. please keep us posted

·
Registered
18 Posts
we are so sorry. with all the prayers that are being sent to you and your baby, she will be fine. you are in our thoughts..

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm so sorry your baby is having problems - you both will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I would let her eat whatever she seems to enjoy, as long as it is good for her. Last year when my older chi was seriously ill, I fed her chicken, roast, steak, hamburger - whatever I could get her to eat. Important thing right now is getting her better - you can worry about what she is eating later after she is healthy.

Good luck, and keep us posted. - Lynn

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I don't know if you are feeding your baby wet or dry food but if you put tiny little pieces of chicken on it , it might entice her to eat . Chicken is actually very healthy if it is just baked or boiled I will keep positive thoughts for you and your baby. I think the idea of checking on a vet school is a good one but there may not be any where you are :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bella had the same problem. She had low blood sugar attacks that I would have to bring her out of. Make sure her gums are pink, you don't want her becoming anemic. Bella had to have a blood infusion to bring her out of anemia. Bella had to be tube fed (by an experience breeder) buttermilk, syringe fed a/d puppy food, and also ate boiled chicken and hamburger every 2 hours. We basically tried different foods to get her to gain weight which would facilitate her appetite. She even eats gerber baby food meats. She is now being fed chicken, hamburger, Tracker puppy food and goats milk. She hasn't had anymore low blood sugar attacks. We are working on getting her to eat dry puppy food and become more aggressive about eating. Be careful about giving supplements with high sugar/fructose concentrations. These cause the blood sugar to go up, but then it will crash and be very low. It's better just to get them to eat whatever you can that is good for them so they will gain weight. You can slowly get them back to eating the puppy food once they've gained weight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW! A lot of replies!! lol.. Thank you all! I am feeding her the chicken and rice right now and she seems a bit heavier than yesterday/this morning. The vet also advised me to give pea-sized amounts of Nutra-Cal 4-6 times a day. She actually is playful now that she ate a good wholesome meal!! My dad called me(by the way, I'm just a college student...haha) while I was out and said she was jumping around like crazy!

I'm glad that this site was created! I don't know what I'd do without all your help!!!

Dixie says THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
be careful with too much activity, as that can lead to a sugar attack (when they are overstimulated...) glad she's doing better! try the baby food mets and meat sticks, chiwi ate those for a few days and it helped her put on the ounces she lost when she was having her no eating problem. then we went to the science diet canned a/d (it's a prescription food for anorexic cats and dogs, high in calories and most find it palatable.) i had to put little bits in her mouth at a time and she would eat it, then i started putting her royal canin mini puppy kibble into the a/d and serving it warm and she started picking the dry pieces out so i weaned the a/d. then since it seemed she only liked her dry puppy i just gave that to her... she stopped eating again, until i accidentally knocked over her food bowl and it was through trial and error that i found out she only wants to eat off the floor! so not only try different foods but also different methods on how you give them to her. these creatures have minds of their own!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts