Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally brought Pixy home after having to leave her for 2 nights at the vet. She is sleeping a lot and cries a little. When I first saw her, she started crying maybe she was saying to me, " mom! look what they did to me". She was overjoyed to see her toys and was really thirsty. I think they only gave her a minimum of food and water. She has a pink cast on (so cute) and is learning how to walk on it. She is also starting to hop on her good back leg and lifts up her hurt leg. She is in good spirits. She was given an anti-inflamitory medication and a pain medication called Rimadyl. I recently read the article about this drug and how it can be fatal. I am terrified of giving it to her now. I think I should call the vet and request a different med. What do you suggest??

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
we talked go ahead, its good. watch for side affects thats all.

I am glad she is adjusting to her pink cast. Post a pic of her :wave:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Glad to hear Pixy's surgery is over and she is home with you........sending lot's of positive thoughts for a uneventful recovery period.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Glad to hear she got through the surgery and is doing well. I will pray for a full recovery.
Rymadel is okay to give for brief periods of time...definately not something you want your chi on for longer then a couple weeks. Actually they are finding that smaller breed dogs do well on rymadel as long as they are not on it for an extended amount of time. Like everyone said just keep an eye open...any med can cause a reaction.
Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Glad to hear she is back at home. I'm not sure about the medication situation maybe you should ask Nate???

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It's always good to hear when nothinng went wrong...I'm glad Pixy's doing well. :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yay Pixy! Glad to hear she is doing very well.

Pixy's mom: Rimadyl is fine for temporary use, and even for some long term use if liver values are checked on a regular basis. Problems arise in chronic users that are not checked regularly for signs of liver failure or changes in liver blood values. We have been using it at our hospital since it was released with great success as an NSAID. Our clients and doctors are very conscious about it's side-effects and possible liver toxicity so they carefully monitor the dosage and recheck bloodwork often if prescribed for extended periods. Your doctor most likely did pre-anesthetic bloodwork, and if your chi was a greenlight for surgery, most likely a few days of Rimadyl will be perfectly fine. Don't worry too much about it, and if you are really concerned, you can ask your doctor to switch you to another NSAID like Meloxicam (Metacam) which we also use often for post-spays that is also very safe.

-Nate

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the good wishes

Hi everyone, :wave:
Thanks for the good wishes! It looks like Pixy didn't end up having a reaction to the medication. I spoke with the vet and she assured me that it was ok for short term use (just like you guys said). She is doing better now. She is a happy dog and in high spirits. Thanks so much for all of your comments. I really appreciated them :) I'll take a pic of her soon and post it.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Yay for Pixie! Such good news!

Koke had her's done last Wednesday the 20th. Vet gave me enough pain meds for Thursday and Friday. It was Torbutol. She hasn't had anything for pain since then and she's fine.
The only thing she is getting now is Cosequin DS.

Koke didn't get a pretty pink cast, hers is white. She's jelouse now LOL.

They'll both be back to normal in no time!
Give Pixie hugs and kisses from me, Sandy and Koke!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts