Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ziva snarfed her turkey breakfast and ate 1/2 of Zoey's because Zoey is being a pill....Part of me thinks Zoey is throwing her 'fit' (bile barf & not eating unless hand fed) this morning because Ziva is getting more attention than she is. Ziva is still bleeding (fresh) from her incision. Although we did bloodwork on her before surgery and everything was fine/normal, my dad thinks she may have a clotting disorder. We will do follow-up blood work/more tests (von Willebrands & other tests for hemophilia type disorders) when she's a little more recovered. I have to go get her some Tramadol (in addition to the Buprenex) as she seems super painful. Another question, does anyone know if there is a meat that provides more energy & is more useful for recovery than others? I tried feeding her baby food as that's what I've done in the past with my dogs after surgery, she wouldn't touch it, so I gave her pills in Liverwurst and she snarfed it, so I fed her ground turkey for breakfast.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I would up her nupro and salmon oils. I have a clotting disorder as well and there is nothing I can do for it other than eat red meats and ensure I have vitamins, so I don't imagine there is anything drastically different for dogs. As long as I am good w/ vitamins/red meats/iron I don't get the bruising and bleeding if cut I otherwise experience, and I can be pretty rough doing outdoors stuff. So I would stay away from chicken for her for a bit. I don't know if that will help, but I hope it does and I hope she feels better soon. Keep us updated, hun.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another thing she is still bleeding a little from incision, as I said I just started her on Fish Oil/Vit E about 2 & 1/2 weeks ago, reading up on clotting issues I'm reading that Vit E can cause bleeding, so should be stopped 2 weeks before surgery. I didn't think to tell my dad/vet that she was on those supplements. :-( So now I feel like poop. She did have bloodwork done and everything was normal. My dad/vet suggests some beef or pork liver that's high in Vitamin K to help with the bleeding. We are going to do further testing on a possible bleeding disorder once she is feeling better.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I'm sorry she isn't bouncing back right away :( I think she will be fine though she seems strong and healthy and you take great care of her. The bleeding from the incision site would have me freaked as well.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank-you. If she's still bleeding by noon, taking her in for a Vitamin K Shot & pills.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Sorry to hear about Ziva. I hope she gets back to her old self soon. :)
Fish oils should also be stopped prior to invasive surgery.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Ziva isn't feeling very well after her surgery. I hope she gets all better very soon. :( When our babies are ill, it sure has a way of stressing us out. Please keep us updated on her progress.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I really feel like crap, I really researched everything before her surgery and just didn't think to look to see if I needed to stop her supplements. So I'm feeling quite badly at the moment.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would keep her nutritional needs very basic. I would try red meats (higher iron content), maybe extra organs and fattier meats also. I would stop the salmon oil as it is a blood thinner. You could try some canned tripe and mix with her meat to entice her to eat. Or even just a little canned food. Some dogs can't resist canned cat food (higher fat) so you could try that as well. Anything to get her to eat.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is actually eating pretty good, I gave her some ground turkey this morning, and she ate hers & 1/2 of Zoey's. She didn't want the processed baby food I tried to feed her (smart girl) lol. I am going to give her some liver for lunch for the Vitamin K. Why didn't I research the fish oils/vitamin e?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long should I stop the Salmon Oil/Vitamin E? Do I need to stop the Nupro as well?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Don't feel bad, Heather. You are an awesome Mom. It was just an honest oversight. I know it's hard not to beat yourself up, but you are such a great Mom! She'll be all better soon, and you will know now for future reference. (((Hugs)))

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
She is actually eating pretty good, I gave her some ground turkey this morning, and she ate hers & 1/2 of Zoey's. She didn't want the processed baby food I tried to feed her (smart girl) lol. I am going to give her some liver for lunch for the Vitamin K. Why didn't I research the fish oils/vitamin e?
Don't beat yourself up about it. Just stop the fish oil and get some organs and red meat into her. Hopefully that will help. Some are more sensitive to the anti-clotting factors in the fish oils.

Had a patient (human) awhile back that kept oozing from his incisions. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw his wife take a bottle of vitamins out of her purse and give him some - including fish oil!!! (Bless her heart, she thought she was helping). Once the fish oil was out of his system, his clotting factors kicked back in and the oozing stopped.

Would be nice if that was the case here and you aren't dealing with a clotting disorder like von wildebrands.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
How long should I stop the Salmon Oil/Vitamin E? Do I need to stop the Nupro as well?
I would stop the salmon oil, vitamin E and also the Nupro for at least a week. Get her well on the way to recovery with a mostly healed incision and then slowly introduce them back in. The Nupro could "probably" be continued but I don't know about the flaxseed and bee pollen in it. I'd stop all supplements at this point and just feed fresh foods and organs, nothing extra until everything is well sorted.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't feel bad, Heather. You are an awesome Mom. It was just an honest oversight. I know it's hard not to beat yourself up, but you are such a great Mom! She'll be all better soon, and you will know now for future reference. (((Hugs)))
Thank-you T. I know it has an oversight, I just feel badly.

Don't beat yourself up about it. Just stop the fish oil and get some organs and red meat into her. Hopefully that will help. Some are more sensitive to the anti-clotting factors in the fish oils.

Had a patient (human) awhile back that kept oozing from his incisions. Couldn't figure out what was going on until I saw his wife take a bottle of vitamins out of her purse and give him some - including fish oil!!! (Bless her heart, she thought she was helping). Once the fish oil was out of his system, his clotting factors kicked back in and the oozing stopped.

Would be nice if that was the case here and you aren't dealing with a clotting disorder like von wildebrands.
Oh I hope that is the case....I really don't want to deal with a clotting disorder. They can be so hard. My dad said if it was von willebrands a lot of times ear cropping & tail docking can kill them, and her bleeding time in her gums is within normal time (it normally should take up to 4 minutes to stop bleeding when poked) and hers is a minute & 1/2 this morning.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Oh I hope that is the case....I really don't want to deal with a clotting disorder. They can be so hard. My dad said if it was von willebrands a lot of times ear cropping & tail docking can kill them, and her bleeding time in her gums is within normal time (it normally should take up to 4 minutes to stop bleeding when poked) and hers is a minute & 1/2 this morning.
I hope it's just a prolonged bleeding time due to the oils. That would be an easy fix! I'm crossing my fingers. :) If her bleeding time is normal this morning, I would guess that the oozing should slow down/stop today.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Taurine is a supp. used to help promote healing! Can you get her some of that? (havent read pg 2-3 yet sorry if already suggested)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Taurine is a supp. used to help promote healing! Can you get her some of that? (havent read pg 2-3 yet sorry if already suggested)
Oh yeah, give her a slice of nice juicy beef heart - it's very high in taurine! Good idea Kelly!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I have some beef heart so I can give her some of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts