Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away a long time. I thought I'd tell ya what I'd been doing. I've been working setting up my rescue and sanctuary. I was invited by a very large rescue to be part of them as a foster home. But after thinking it over, I decided not to. I wanted to do the rescuing on my own. While I was working out the details, I rescued this gorgeous chi mix puppy from a very abusive home. He was three months old. He has a new home already lined up as soon as he gets his last set of puppy shots and gets neutered. His new owner, my best friend, named him Gizmo.

Then this last weekend, I was contacted about rescuing a young chihuahua with a tumor on his chest. Well, they did manage to find a foster home down there and it turned out the "chi" was a corgi and it wasn't a tumor, it was a infected dog bite. The dog showed evidence of multiple dog bites and injuries, poor thing. So then they asked me to save an older severely abused chi. She has rotting, falling out teeth, glaucoma, an upper respiratory infection, is deaf and has twisted legs. So, Wednesday, I went to the shelter in LA and pulled this little train wreck of a sweetheart. Her name is Miss Pearl and it looks like signs of abuse could instead be a case of chondrodysplasia, achondroplasia or chondrodystrophy, which can cause dwarfism, deafness, poor dentition and eye problems. She shows no signs of being abused, infact she is a cuddle bug. She needs her all her teeth pulled out, she's going in Nov 2 to get that done after she's through her course of antibiotics. She has some sight, she's going back in next week, after her eyes are cleared up, and is being tested for glaucoma. Her personality is coming out and she loves to try to play even though she can't hear and can't see very well.
Coming home from the shelter

Her twisted front legs

Her back legs

Her swollen eyes

But she's a happy dog

Trying to play with Pepe

Settling in quite nicely

You can see how her leg juts out

And poor Pepper decied to try to play with a bee and lost. He's now on antibiotics, steroids and an ointment to stop the itching and has to wear the cone of shame.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
What sweethearts you get the chance of enjoying for awhile. That last pic is so sad, poor dear.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How heartbreaking! These poor babies. Thank you so much Pam for caring enough to help. You are such a wonderful person to be doing this. The world needs more people like you.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Oh, Pepper, your poor nose. x.x

And that little girl with the teeth and the eyes and the leg, oh my GOSH. It's amazing how sweet and happy-go-lucky a dog can be, even when you know they must be in some serious discomfort.

How exciting, too, that you're starting your own rescue!!! What will you call it?

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Thank you for helping the pups out. They have fallen in to good hands and are lucky indeed that your path crossed with theirs. :daisy:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Pam....those dogs will think they are in heaven with you looking after them...bless you and all the good work you do....the pics of Miss Pearl brought me to tears....I cannot imagine the hardships she has had to endure in her life....hope the glaucoma is treatable with gtts...you truly are an angel on earth...Kathleen

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh bless your heart for saving these dogs, Pearl looks like she has long standing case of rickets, hence why the teeth are like that as well, here eyes do look like glaucoma, Luna our ol boston has glaucoma, causes swelling cloudyness and pain, but after awhile the dog gets use to it, but there is times they have bad bouts of the swelling under the eye cap with fluid, Luna is gets put on antibiotics, prednisone to reduce swelling, and i use terramycin tripple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment with polymyxin b sulfate [oxytetracycline hydrochloride} to sooth her eyes stop inflamation and and stop them from getting infected, i only use the pred and abtibiotics when she has a flare up but she gets the eye ointment 2 times a day. Alot of vets will remove the eye but i was not about to put ol Luna thru that, as long as we keep her pain free shes happy, if shes in pain i give her 1 baby bayer chewabale aspring once a day.

If she has pretty good back teeth i would leave them and get um cleaned so she can somewhat chew food, trim nails as much as you can without hitting the quick, over short periods you can get them down much better which will help with her feet, she looks like she has some crud in her ear, you might want to clean them and treat for ear mites to be on the safe side. Some vets these days can work wonders with bones and its VERY expensive but some can re set the bones to be more natural but with this girl i would work on making her comforatbel, get some good joint sup which might help easy joint pain and such since her joints are being used over time because of the deviation of the bones.

My 2 cents worth...:cool:
HUGS to you for taking her in..

The first one the black and tan looks like a pom/chi cross..

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Nice to see you posting again Pam. My heart aches for these dogs, but things
are changing for the best for them in your care, therefore I'm glad. Please if you
find the time, update us on their progress. Hugs.

And I meant to ask, is that your adorable daughter in the picture? She looks so
sweet and gentle with the pup.:love2:

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone. I enjoy helping the ones that no one else steps up for. I just wish I could place some of the ones that have been up for adotion for ages, we're getting a little crowded here. lol

Tracy, if she was younger, I would think about corrective sugery, but she's about 11 to 13 yeas old. She does get around and it appears it doesn't bother her. And it looks like all her teeth are rotten. We will know more once she's under. She was looked at for ear mites, they did a scraping but no bugs or ova was found, so once she's a bit more over her respiratory infection, I will bath her and clean that ear a bit better. She has an appointment next week to start working on her eyes, she was so sick when I rescued her the vet wanted her feeling better before we stessed her out.

LS, yes, that is my daughter , Sarah. She is great with the dogs, so loving. She comes in the dog room and cuddles with them once or twice a day.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Pam what a fantastic job you are doing, all those pups are so lucky you found them, keep up the good work. X

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Aw. Poor pepper and poor girl. She looks like a happy soul though. Gizmo is gorgeous!
I was actually wondering where you'd been jus the other day! Welcome back xox

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the welcome back. :)

I looked up rickets, that's when the leg bone is bowed. Her leg bones are straight, her joints are malformed. And while rickets can cause bad dentition, they don't cause deafness.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
So glad to hear from you Pam!! You are sure keeping busy! I absolutely love little Pearl, she is a beautiful little dog. She is very fortunate to have you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts