Chihuahua People Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts
3,132 Posts
Chicken is fine, just make sure no bone or grissle. Also, fried chicken is probably not a good idea given the fat content, but Bailey gets boiled/baked chicken quite a bit. He LOVES it! :D

We don't ever eat chicken skin... with the exception of KFC, which Bailey does not get to have.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
this is a brilliant thread!! just what u was looking to read!!

im looking to cook my chi's meals everyday and not feed her nibly bits..im liking the yogurt idea, i will try her on that.

thanks guys

·
Registered
793 Posts
Gizmo is a HUGE fan of Bananas and dried apricots! he goes NUTs for them... Idk if dried apricots are bad but i heard on the forum that bananas are ok!

3,132 Posts
Ok, everyone I am confused.... everyone believes so many different things! Here is a list of foods I would like to feed/have fed Bailey. What shouldn't he eat from this list...

Have fed:
Cottage Cheese - 1 spoonful 3 times a week
Strawberries
Carrots
Lettuce
Grapes - BAD MOMMY!!!
French Fries - Sometimes and only a couple.
Bits of hotdog
Bits of cooked hamburger
Mac & Cheese - 2-3 noodles - occasionally
Mashes potatoes - occasionally
Cheese - Often, Mommy is a cheese-a-holic
Organic (expensive) natural peanut butter in his butcher's bone - maybe 3 times a month.
Beef, chicken & turkey

Would like to feed him:
Banana
Oranges
Apples
Pineapple
Broccoli
Peas
Green Beans
Including any other RAW fruits / veggies not listed...
Obviously the fruits and veggies will be cut into little chunks and NO seeds!

You get the idea.... so what of these foods that I would like to feed him are ok?

His diet is MAINLY Wellness food, followed by treats with a spoonful of cottage cheese at least 3 times a week, and some occasional human foods.

I want to feed him more human veggies and fruits as treats... which is the reason for my post. :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
Okay have a questions...I thought I read someone once not to give dogs garlic? Does anyone know if this is true as I found a dog recipe that has garlic powder in it....now I am confused LOL.
Here is what i found:

Onions & Garlic are other dangerous food ingredients that cause sickness in dogs, cats and also livestock. Onions and garlic contain the toxic ingredient thiosulphate. Onions are more of a danger.

Pets affected by onion toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia, where the pet’s red blood cells burst while circulating in its body.

At first, pets affected by onion poisoning show gastroenteritis with vomiting and diarrhoea. They will show no interest in food and will be dull and weak. The red pigment from the burst blood cells appears in an affected animal’s urine and it becomes breathless. The breathlessness occurs because the red blood cells that carry oxygen through the body are reduced in number.

The poisoning occurs a few days after the pet has eaten the onion. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic. Left over pizza, Chinese dishes and commercial baby food containing onion, sometimes fed as a supplement to young pets, can cause illness.

Onion poisoning can occur with a single ingestion of large quantities or with repeated meals containing small amounts of onion. A single meal of 600 to 800 grams of raw onion can be dangerous whereas a ten-kilogram dog, fed 150 grams of onion for several days, is also likely to develop anaemia. The condition improves once the dog is prevented from eating any further onion

While garlic also contains the toxic ingredient thiosulphate, it seems that garlic is less toxic and large amounts would need to be eaten to cause illness.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a new dog owner I want to express my gratitude for this information. I knew about chocolate but not about any of the rest.
Thank you!:hello1:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Being new to owning a Chi I never realised just how many foods were dangerous to them. When I was growing up we always had dogs (whippets and alsations) and they were fed anything they wanted including chocolate and anything on our plates no matter what.

What confuses me is I had seen a thread on here about how people feed and prefer to feed raw meat yet in the list here it says not to feed raw meat due to parasites etc.
So which is right...

Also when I feed organic peanut butter I spread it on his chew toy, it has three butterfly plastic wings on it and I spread the PB on each of them about 2-3 times a week, is this too much?

By the way this thread is brillliant.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
lol i just give a spoonful of organic peanutbutter to dexter. dont want him to have diarhea. also i fed mine asparagus the other night and he loved it :) only a small portion though. i tried doing freeze dried raw but that was unsucessful. im too scared to do regular raw frozen...i even wash my knife when i cut dexters chicken before it was cooked :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh Dear :(

I have to question how accurate a lot of it is though. My mum had a dog which she got same time I was born. The dog adored chocolate and would do anything to get it. She also ate bones, fruit etc and lived until she was 18 lol.

My staffie also loves salad (tomatoes, cucumber etc) and the vet say's that's fine... so meh. I worry about my dogs all the time when I see this stuff.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It is all in how your dogs system is and how it can cope with the toxins. You were very lucky in my opinion. Most people continue to feed these things because it doesnt immediately affect them and do not realize it shuts organs down over time. I am glad your mom's dog lived to a ripe old age.

·
Registered
106 Posts
people used garlic in dog food flavoring for years. Some dogs seem to be able to handle it better than others. Some people even use it for coat conditioning and insect repellent.

Tag is not into the real stuff yet, I am weaning him off of icky science diet that the Humane society was feeding him. I would never feed hot dogs to dogs. They do have garlic AND onion as part of their spices, not to mention too much salt.

On the other hand, Foxxy gets fed kelp and spirulina daily. She loves the stuff and actually begs for it. I cook with seaweed all the time, either kombu, nori, or wakame. Turns out that these plants are super rich in vitamins and minerals including iodine and magnesium to support tiny thyroids and joints. The spirulina I stumbled across after spilling my plecostimus's tabs knocking them off the fishtank. Foxxy was right there to hoover them up too. (crunch crunch crunch) I researched to make sure they were ok and sure enough they're a superfood as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dogs don't usually get food borne illness unless they're immune compromised or have intestinal problems already. As for parasites, that's why I don't feed my dogs pork, but other than that,at least if you live in the US, the beef at least is 99% guaranteed to be free of parasites, otherwise nobody would be safe. Basically, if a human wanted to, he could eat fresh raw beef as long as it wasn't ground, and be moderately assured that they won't be hurt by it. On top of that, the heartworm prevantitive all dogs should be getting also usually covers most food borne parasites

81 - 100 of 135 Posts