Chihuahua People Forum banner

121 - 135 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
You can't be serious about the "sugar" in peanut butter. I call shenigans on that but everything else is stuff I've heard of before. I wouldn't have guessed the avocado toxicity because it is so healthy for humans... thanks!
I hadnt heard about PB before. Doggie's love PB.... Guess I need to buy some Organic PB because Winnie loves herself some PB
Actually, yes, your "regular" off the shelf peanut butters (JIF, Peter Pan, etc) have a WHOLE CRAPLOAD of sugar in them. As well as some other gross stuff that you wouldn't want to put in your body if you knew what it really was - read your labels, guys!

Look for "Natural" peanut butter. It seperates, yes, the oil will rise to the top. And you have to keep it in the fridge. But there's nothing in it other than peanuts, and sometimes a bit of salt! Perfectly safe for you AND your pups!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
We found out after we bought new houseplants that each one we got is toxic. Luckily they are up out of reach and Gabe doesn't bother them...

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Isn't this list a bit overcautious? Apples, really? The seeds yes, but the fruit? Salt is needed for the heart to function. I think the list maybe should be divided into actual known toxins and foods that may not be healthy for your dog. Example: How many dogs have been rushed to the vet because their peanut butter wasn't organic? A dog with cancer shouldn't have sugar but that doesn't translate into sugar causing cancer. If you believe in organic diets for your dogs, that is still just an opinion. Saying that non organic food is "toxic" is doing a disservice to new dog owners who need to know what they must definitely keep away from their pet.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
The lists are not endorsed by the forum, they are members findings, that they chose to share. It is up to you to do your own research. I feed bones and raw eggs regularly without issue, but they still appear on all the 'do not feed' lists lol.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
For new owners looking for good info, may I suggest you have 2 lists, one of toxins and a second of unhealthy foods. Just because a food is unhealthy (for dogs or humans) doesn't make it toxic. The potato chips I'm craving are definitely unhealthy, but won't send me to the ER tonight if I cave. Same for our dogs, sugar is unhealthy but not toxic at the levels found in peanut butter. Also, yams???? Many organic dog foods use sweet potatoes, which are nearly identical. Can you give more info on this one?

·
Registered
872 Posts
For new owners looking for good info, may I suggest you have 2 lists, one of toxins and a second of unhealthy foods. Just because a food is unhealthy (for dogs or humans) doesn't make it toxic. The potato chips I'm craving are definitely unhealthy, but won't send me to the ER tonight if I cave. Same for our dogs, sugar is unhealthy but not toxic at the levels found in peanut butter. Also, yams???? Many organic dog foods use sweet potatoes, which are nearly identical. Can you give more info on this one?
Chocolate is considered "Toxic" to dogs, yes? I know more people than I would like to admit that feed their dogs chocolate (a few on a daily basis) and their dogs live into their teens. "Toxic" in the sense used here necessarily mean immediate life threatening - but damaging, either immediate or over time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
new chihuahua room-mate

hi, i am new to this forum and new to being a chihuahua room-mate...
they are such finicky eaters but I had no idea that tomatoes were bad for dogs. Coco just loves them but that won't happen anymore! Thanks for the great tip!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Kari,

While some of this information is true and valid, the bit about raw eggs and meat is certainly not. Dogs, like wolves (with whom they share over 99% of their DNA), are equipped with the proper stomach enzymes to kill the bacteria in raw meat and eggs that is so dangerous to humans. In fact, raw diets are not only safe for dogs, it is the best thing to feed them.

Jshiloh

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Kari,

While some of this information is true and valid, the bit about raw eggs and meat is certainly not. Dogs, like wolves (with whom they share over 99% of their DNA), are equipped with the proper stomach enzymes to kill the bacteria in raw meat and eggs that is so dangerous to humans. In fact, raw diets are not only safe for dogs, it is the best thing to feed them.

Jshiloh
This is a very old post goes back to 2005,don't think you'll get a response from Kari.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I also found issue with this. As a brand new dog owner last year, I wanted a concise list of what could hurt my dog. When I got to the non organic peanut butter, I realized the list wasn't what I thought it was. Haven't heard of many ER vet trips due to peanut butter. chuckle

121 - 135 of 135 Posts