Chihuahua People Forum banner

Given my current work situation, should I adopt a sibling or not?

• Adopt a sibling - Charley needs a playmate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Adopt - It wouldn't be fair to the new pet

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this on here or not, but until a couple of weeks ago, my Charley had a brother named Buddy. Buddy was a Shih-tsu who wandered up at my parents house last November and after not locating an owner, I adopted him. His owner came to claim him a couple of weeks ago, thus Charley is an only child once again. (He was for the first year of his life.)

When Buddy left I was sad, yet a little bit relieved. Buddy took a lot more effort than Charley. He had to be groomed daily, washed weekly, and needed haircuts all the time. Charley needs a bath every 2 weeks or so, and his nails trimmed. That's it.

However, Charley is very lonely without his brother. I'm gone to work for 9-12 hours a day. When I get home he's a little bundle of energy and wants lots of attention ... which I have no problem giving him, but I can tell he's starting to get bored during the day because he's starting to act out by tearing things up. This had previously been a problem, until Buddy came along. I've been contemplating adopting another brother or sister for Charley. But I'm not sure.

"Everything happens for a reason" is the philosophy I took when Buddy left. I didn't know what that reason was then, but I think I do now.

Shortly after Buddy left, I started working longer than normal hours due to a project we started at work. Charley is piddle-pad trained, so this isn't really a problem for him ... but if I still had Buddy, it would be mean of me to expect him to hold it that long every day!

Anyway, my question to you guys is this: Do you think it would be mean of me to adopt a sibling for Charley, knowing my current work schedule (which will not change for a couple of months) and knowing I wouldn't have time to potty train a puppy right now? OR Do you think I should let Charley continue to be an only child for the time being?

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this topic. I've always been of the opinion that if you are going to have one pet, you should have two because they can keep each other company when you are not around. But I don't know if that's wise for me at the moment.

Sorry this is so long ... I tend to ramble.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I hate to think of the little guy being all alone for so long. And even though he spent a good part of his life as an only child, he got used to having Buddy around and he misses the companionship. I say get another dog. :wave:

Edited to say: Does it have to be a puppy? Can you adopt an older dog who's already housebroken?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I agree with Rachael.
Why not adopt another adult? There are lots of chis that are already potty trained that need homes.
It would give Charlie company and be easier on you.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i am getting a little brother for chiwi. i think if they are alone while we are at work they get lonely and all they can think of is mama coming home. a little brother would occupy them and all....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( I'm so torn! I know Char-Char is so lonely when I'm gone for so long.

How hard do you think it would be to find another piddle pad trained doggie??

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I would adopt and try to find an adult dog already housebroken. Are there any chi rescue groups around where you live. I would check with them first, also check your local animal shelters. I don't know how it is there, but here where I live out shelters seldom get chis. They do get other small dogs though.

There are several advantages to adopting, the most important being giving a home to a needy pet. Secondly, it would be past the puppy stage and hopefully even already housebroken. Adopted pets sometimes have anxiety and trust issues, but with love and patience they make the most wonderful pets.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
EdukatedRedHed said:
:( I'm so torn! I know Char-Char is so lonely when I'm gone for so long.

How hard do you think it would be to find another piddle pad trained doggie??
It depends on how picky you are as to sex and color.
Try the "Rescue" section of this board. There are several good links there.
Also do a google search of the ASPCA and find the one in your area.
There are more males up for adoption than females and more smooth coats than long coats, but there are some in both.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
even though you won't be home, i think it would be better for charley to have someone to be with while your gone, rather then be alone :p and adopting is always a good cause, you are giving an animal a new life, so i would go and adopt. :D :D good luck

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well ... I said everything happens for a reason!

Tonight I found out that my ex-husbands hoochie-mama can't take care of his dog anymore ... Mikinzie used to be "our" dog, but the ex got him in the divorce. I adopted him from the Humane Society in 2000.

The ex is currently in Iraq with his National Guard Unit. The hoochie-mama is supposed to be watching Mikinzie, but she apparently called his best friend today and said she can't take care of him any more. So who does his best friend (and my God Brother) call? Of course, ME.

I love Mikinzie, he is a great dog ... for a 70 lb dog!!! He's going to make Charley look like a chew toy! But he's so mild natured and gentle ... and besides, he's already Charley's half-brother!

:blob7:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Oh cool!
Just make sure you get to KEEP him. After who ever comes back from where ever they are, make sure they can't take him back!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well ... unfortunatly I won't be able to keep Kinzie once my ex comes back from Iraq. :( One of the reaons I didn't keep him to begin with is because the ex told me "When I come back I will be getting him back, you can't keep him!" So I told him to find someone else to keep him ... thus the hoochie-mama.

I kid you not, this girl is C R A Z Y. I have some stories that would blow you away. Most recently she was in the hospital for attempting suicide. As unstable as she is, I am afraid she would take Kinzie to the pound. I can't do that to him.

I guess time will tell ... :dontknow:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts