Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The smallest puppy is worrying me a bit. I weighed them this morning and he lost 0.2 oz. The little guy weighed 2.9 oz this moring, just so tiny. The girl lost 0.1 oz, ending up at 3.4 oz. The two bigger boys gained 0.3 to 0.5 oz. I decided to supplement the little boy, he seemed the weakest. The girl is very robust and strong, just little. He did drink the formula quite well from the bottle. And I make sure the boy is latched on everytime I leave the bathroom. I know his mom's milk is the best for him. Am I being too worried? Should I supplement and if so, how often? Is it normal for the puppies to lose weight the first day or so? Marmalade's puppies were huge and robust and I had no problems with them, they weighed in at 7 and 5.5 oz at birth.

Also, Babushka's eye is doing fantastic. After the first day, I didn't have to give any pain meds and she's never had to wear the e collar, she is not bothering the eye at all. She's just on her antibiotics and eye ointment. And she is back playing with her brothers and sister. So that's a load off.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No idea on the pups but hugs all around. If you feel he would do better with a little extra I don't think giving it to him will hurt.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well, I used to raise Golden retrievers (big difference, I know)...She had huge litters - 12 to 14 each one. The smaller pups would always get less from mom than the larger ones. I set up a wicker clothes basket with a heating pad in the bottom of it, and would remove the larger ones for a bit so the smaller ones could nurse. I didn't leave them out long, but I did make sure the smaller ones got uninterrupted nursing time, and made sure the ones I took out were nice and warm.

I did this for the first two weeks - even set my alarm and got up and did it during the night, which was probably going a little overboard, but I never lost a pup, and I only had one true 'runt' that just didn't grow like the others, even with my extra efforts.

I know you've got your hands full right now, but just thought I'd share my experience. (I was much younger then, and staying up half the night with pups didn't affect me the way it would now!)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'd say..and I am not vet..but with any small patient ..slow and steady with the feeding...like a preemie. Thak God they have you Pam. I am off to work will check back later...I'd say feed the tiny one more often...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I know they definitely need the boost from the colostrum (pre-milk) the first day of feeding & warmth. I have always been told just like babies puppies and kitties do lose a bit of weight after being born. And I have always been told a new born/ born within a couple days animal that has even the slightest chill needs warmed the moment it is noticed to be out of the pile and its critical before it nurses from mom/ is tube/bottle fed. It's super important to make sure they are in their puppy pile for heat, because if they eat with a chill it can be very harmful to their organs and fatal.

I had a girlfriend at work who had to bottle-feed one from a litter and keep it snuggled to her at all times for warmth ~ and that little joker ate every (3) hours. She also had to rub a little bit post feed to help them potty. Now I don't know if any of that was procedurally correct, she did consult her vet and they instructed her (provided her with the nutritional mix), but this was quite a few years ago and things could have changed or they vet did things differently than others. I do know that little puppy made it though, was extremely healthy and came into the world in her forever home because there was no way to rehome her after every minute of every day was spent loving her and will her to live.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know they definitely need the boost from the colostrum (pre-milk) the first day of feeding & warmth. I have always been told just like babies puppies and kitties do lose a bit of weight after being born. And I have always been told a new born/ born within a couple days animal that has even the slightest chill needs warmed the moment it is noticed to be out of the pile and its critical before it nurses from mom/ is tube/bottle fed. It's super important to make sure they are in their puppy pile for heat, because if they eat with a chill it can be very harmful to their organs and fatal.

I had a girlfriend at work who had to bottle-feed one from a litter and keep it snuggled to her at all times for warmth ~ and that little joker ate every (3) hours. She also had to rub a little bit post feed to help them potty. Now I don't know if any of that was procedurally correct, she did consult her vet and they instructed her (provided her with the nutritional mix), but this was quite a few years ago and things could have changed or they vet did things differently than others. I do know that little puppy made it though, was extremely healthy and came into the world in her forever home because there was no way to rehome her after every minute of every day was spent loving her and will her to live.
Yeah, she did it corectly. I had a kitten I bottle fed from 3 weeks on and I did it the same way she did. And Rowdy is so healthy and is now 3 years old. I am very careful when removing a puppy; it's looked at and weighed on a covered scale quickly and then back into the warm box. For feeding, he's so small, I cup him in my hand and he's covered. I also have the cutest covered hot water bottles he lays on when I feed him.

its reassuring to know some pups lose a little weight. I'll for sure just keep an extra close eye on him.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I used to raise Golden retrievers (big difference, I know)...She had huge litters - 12 to 14 each one. The smaller pups would always get less from mom than the larger ones. I set up a wicker clothes basket with a heating pad in the bottom of it, and would remove the larger ones for a bit so the smaller ones could nurse. I didn't leave them out long, but I did make sure the smaller ones got uninterrupted nursing time, and made sure the ones I took out were nice and warm.

I did this for the first two weeks - even set my alarm and got up and did it during the night, which was probably going a little overboard, but I never lost a pup, and I only had one true 'runt' that just didn't grow like the others, even with my extra efforts.

I know you've got your hands full right now, but just thought I'd share my experience. (I was much younger then, and staying up half the night with pups didn't affect me the way it would now!)
I did that this afternoon, moved the two bigger ones away for a bit and let the littler ones nurse undisturbed. They were moved over to a heated place in the whelping box and kept warm.

·
Registered
145 Posts
my babies nearly always lose a bit the first couple days. You just have to watch and weigh often. Moving the big ones out once the milk comes down is exactly what you do. You know when the milk comes down because they draw back and their tails go up in the air, at that point take out the biguns and make sure the lil ones are latched on. You must do this for a couple weeks. Always weigh the babies often til at least 8 wk because the smaller ones can get pushed off and they will just give up and starve to death if you dont catch it. Ive had several go down at 3-5 wk just because the bigger ones push them away and they wont fight for their food.
I have never supplemented newborns with formula. If they aspirate on formula they can get pneumonia, if they aspirate on mothers milk it wont hurt them.
If it gets so bad that they wont nurse, you might have to tube feed, which I have never done. The ones that have gone down at several weeks old have had to have sub Q fluids (under the skin) because they get too dehydrated to 'come back' on their own. I have had a wonderful mentor during my breeding years (the past 7) She has taught me just about every thing I know about birthing and doctoring dogs.

good luck !!
pam in TX

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much, Pam! I will definately keep an eye on their weights very closely. I guess I just panicked a little when I saw how little he weighed. Tonight, he's up to 3.2 oz, so we are going the right way.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Glad things are looking up Pam, slowly but surely. :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I imagine you are not getting much sleep, huh?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not at all. Between the puppies and my mom, I haven't had a complete nights sleep in almost two weeks. I'm running on fumes.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Do you try and squeeze in some short naps during the day at least?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If mom and the dogs lets me. Today I laid down for an hour and had three dogs decided to jump all over my head. lol Chumley, Isis and Sherman where up on the bed with me and wanted to play with my head and in my hair.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts