Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I live in London,U.K! I have been waiting for mnths now to by a Chihuahau! But Im looking for a very specific one--->
Male smoothcoat black/blue/white!

So i guessed I've made the search a litle harder for myself! ;-(

The problem is I really aint getting anywhere. The closest I got they wanted £950 pounds for him. Which is routhly $1,778.87 USD (United States Dollars)!!

This was way to expensive though I am willing to pay £600-650!

Please If anyone Knows of any litters due???? HELP ME OUT PLEASEEEEEE! XXXXXXXX THANKYOU!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I don't know of any litters that are due right now in the U.K. but several people here on the board live in England so hopefully one of them can help you.

As mentioned above, there is no such thing as a 'teacup' Chihuahua - some are just smaller than others.

You have made your search a bit difficult, especially because you want such a small pup. Those are quite rare! But I wish you luck on your search! Maybe you could look at larger Chihuahuas (4-6 pound range) which is still very small and see if you would consider broadening your search a little?

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I would like to add that reason they are so rare is because most of them have a LOT more health problems than the normal size chis and usually end up dieing before they are a few weeks old.
So if you can't afford to pay all that money to buy a "teacup" you certainly won't be able to afford the veternary care it's going to require to keep it healthy.
I'm not trying to be mean or rude, so sorry if it sounds that way, I just want you to be aware of what you will be getting yourself into.
Veternary care is not cheap.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
stefanie_farrell said:
Yes Im well aware that there is no such thing as a *teacup* but I use it as an expression for a small chihuahua! Thats why I put (1-3lb) in brackets. Theres alot of sites that argue over this word being used and its really not worth it. And I don't beleive we should start on this site either. I use the word teacup as an expression rather than trying to make the puppy sound rare/special.,as I understand some breeders use these terms to sell puppys at a higher cost. I also mentioned in another post before when using the word "teacup" that *Im sorry if anyone finds me using the word teacup affensive*..I apologise.
Therefore I have no problem in using the word teacup as an expression evan *tiny* if thats a better word. As I am not a breeder persuading buyers to buy my pup. Im sorry if i offended anyone... ;.-(
awwwww hugs! :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
JMO but if you know the word is offensive and causes controversy why use it at all? One of the main reasons many of us have a problem with it is that there are so many health problems with puppies this small (actually my Callisto's brother was a tiny one from birth and despite the best breeder and vet care he only made it a month). If you go out looking for a "teacup" chi then most refutable breeders will not sell to you and you are bound to run into people who are breeding tiny dogs with health issues in order to scam you out of more money.
Something to keep in mind is that chis that small are not suitable for someone who has or plans to have larger dogs or small children, There is always a fear that they will get hurt.
Have you spent any time with chihuahuas? My Callie is only about 5 lbs and believe me she is TINY. I wouldn't want her any smaller for fear that she would get hurt (and because now she fits into the xs clothes that most pet stores sell!)
I understand that one of the reasons many of us are drawn to the breed is because they are small and therefore we want one that will be small even full grown, but everyone on this site just wants to make sure that you get a healthy and happy pup. AND that you don't get ripped of by a bad breeder

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I found my boy on the internet. I couldn't find what I wanted locally so I started a web search and set myself a 300 mile radius knowing I would go get him and not have him flown in. I wanted to meet his breeder, see his parents, and get a feel for how he had been raised. Keep looking but I have to say I do agree with the others, that's really dangerously small. Marcus will most likely be between 4-5 pounds since that's the size of his parents and that is a tiny tiny dog.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else about the health of a chi that small. I am sorry if this offends but by wanting one that little I feel it encourages bad breeders to try to breed them ever smaller to make more money :( I would think you would want one that fite the akc standard which is 4 to 6 lbs although larger to me would not be a problem

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else about the health of a chi that small. I am sorry if this offends but by wanting one that little I feel it encourages bad breeders to try to breed them ever smaller to make more money
I have to agree also

I have been breeding Chihuahuas for about 15 yrs, I do not sell the smallest ones for more money, however I do keep them a little longer due to all the health risk that come with a baby that small. When the small one are ready for their new home I am make 100% sure there are no kids and they will be the only ones loved in the house. You just cant take risks with something that small.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My first boy (30 years ago)weighed 5 pounds in his later years when he had a small roll of fat above his shoulders and he was a cinch to carry. You didn't even notice his weight. If you carry a purse it probably weighs more than that. Mine certainly does.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
My chi will not be just for picking it up,and to look good I wanna something I can love and love me back,something that needs me as much as i need him!

Then I think ANY chihuahua will do for you! I just would suggest becareful who you buy from. Make sure you investigate their breeding practices and go to their home and inspect it with your eyes. Also make sure that you have in writing the health guarntee if any. You will know if they are a reputable breeder. The reason I say this is because I don't want you to wind up with a sick or genetically defective pup. GOOD luck in your search!!

Tattangel- Thank you that made my day!! I always try my darnest to make the life of my babies happy and healthy :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
KJ I agree with Tattdangel. When I went to pick up Auggie from the breeder I got him from she had a tiny chi that was much older than Auggie( he was 12 weeks) but it was about the same size or smaller. It had been really sick several times and had almost died. When we were there it was getting pretty healthy but she was holding on to it until she was sure it would be OK and would only let it go to just the right home. I think that is the sign of someone who really cares about their babies. She also said all the other pups out of the same litter had been fine but this one was just super tiny. It was so little and cute but scary to think of taking care of it

·
Registered
615 Posts
Chis in that 1-3 lb range can have alot of health problems and there are other worries such as not stepping on the etc. A 5 lbs chi is a very very small doggy and you will be surprised how light and easy to carry around. I carry my chi mix Cody partially on my hip (He weighs 8 lbs) with no trouble. And I am a weakling.

I have a chi slightly above your weight range (3.25 lbs) and she is so small I don't feel any weight at all when carrying her. Make sure to find a good breeder and a healthy sweet tempered puppy. If you want a smaller chi try looking in the 3.2-4.5 lbs range. Have you seen a 4.5 lbs dog in person? So tiny! Most people think my 3.25 dog ask me if she even makes 2 lbs and if she is a puppy. The smallest breed of rabbit weighs 2-3 lbs. (just food for thought!) My rabbits weigh in 4 lbs an one of my ferrets is 3.75 lbs- so BIGGER than my dogs and it is a little weird LOL.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I have 2 chis one is 6 pounds and one is 7 pounds - chihuahuas are not for carrying around they need exercise as much as any other dog - but if I have to carry them it is no problem they are not heavy - just think alot lighter than most babays and people carry them around al the time :D

a chi is a chi no matter the weight - why did you want one that was 1 - 3 pounds?

it is very hard to find a smooth haired in the U - as you can see I have 2 long haired :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
hi stefanie:)
have u ever seen a chi in real life?, i hadnt till i started lookin for keeks, and was shocked how small they were, i asked the breeder what size they were (this was keeks parents) and he sed they between about 41/2-5 1/2 lbs. when i brought keeks home she looked like she was fully grown, cept she was tiny, in the 1-2lbs range, and even tho i like the idea of having a very small chi, all i wanted to do was keeks to grow, as she was too small to hug properly and meant that i had to watch, becareful and worry bout her all the time, as at that size she was so fragile. Even the realy big chis r stil tiny. As shorthairs r very hard to get hold of in the uk, id suggest u not be fussy about the size, the smaller ones r rarer, and teh size cant even be gauranteed ne way. Also u may find small males r v expensive as they may have breeding potential, as people liketo make sure the male is small to avoid probs for the female. You also havet o take into account how quickly teh average price of chis is risigin the uk. When i first wanted a chi, about 5 years ago, you could get them for about £200, when i bought keeks 10 months ago, average price was about 450, now id say average priceis about 600
good luck finding your chi, hope u dont have to wait much longer!
mia
x

1 - 20 of 65 Posts