Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Domo to our vet here in Japan for bloodwork for his neuter and his first rabies vaccine. The vet told me the were going to give the rabies vaccine at the same time they do his castration...:confused:

I was worried because I'm thinking that's too many different things going in to him at one. He's barely 3lbs. He told me not to worry that they do this all the time. I said "even for such small dogs?" and he said yes...I ended up telling them I'd rather to them separately.

on another note, he has high liver enzyme levels so we have to wait for meds to hopefully correct that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah better safe then sorry. I read this article about vacines recently and it was talking about how the risk of side effects is so much greater in small dogs especially when they get several at a time. And then it mentioned something that really shocked me & that I was surprised I hadnt thought of before but they give the same dose of vacine to all dogs no matter the size! Which seems so crazy to give the same amount to a 3lb dog that you would a Great Dane or Mastiff. So with Winnie I had the vet give her one at a time yeah it took longer and the Vet probly thought I was kinda crazy, but what can I say I'm over protective but I'm ok with that :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Our little Monkey can't have a rabies vaccine because he gets a terrible reaction from it.

I would wait until he's recovered from the stress of being neutered.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Good thinking of waiting for the shot. I think its better to wait. The vet is probably doing it to avoid the stress of another stressful procedure, (you know, killing two birds with one stone type thing) but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I think I knew I was doing the right thing, but always looks for reassurance.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Hey Tiff, I missed this post! You're definitely doing the right thing. It's best to do them separately. His little body will have enough to deal with as it is, and it's not as if he's going to get rabies while he's recovering. Good luck little guy! Odie sends some kisses.

Do they know why his liver enzyme levels are high? Is that normal?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Tiff, I missed this post! You're definitely doing the right thing. It's best to do them separately. His little body will have enough to deal with as it is, and it's not as if he's going to get rabies while he's recovering. Good luck little guy! Odie sends some kisses.

Do they know why his liver enzyme levels are high? Is that normal?
No they don't know why. The were really high in the low 200's and the normal range is around 100. I read somewhere that human food could cause them to skyrocket? Earlier that day I gave him a frenchfry :noops: I have a habit of doing that. So no more people food.

They gave me some meds to give to him for the next week and he goes back on Friday. If his levels aren't normal then I will ask for further tests.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
No they don't know why. The were really high in the low 200's and the normal range is around 100. I read somewhere that human food could cause them to skyrocket? Earlier that day I gave him a frenchfry :noops: I have a habit of doing that. So no more people food.

They gave me some meds to give to him for the next week and he goes back on Friday. If his levels aren't normal then I will ask for further tests.
You're not the only one who gives their chi people food ;) lol I agree with Susan though, try to get an early appointment and don't feed him beforehand. Hopefully everything is normal at the retest :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts