Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think Tillie is in season. I've never been through this before so can you give me some advice. I don't know how big she is down below normally but she is large down there compared to Lola and I do know it being larger is a sign. Also I noticed very tiny blood spots on my bed and on her tail. Really tiny though. She is also licking down there a lot. I couldn't see anything coming out so I had a look properly by parting down there and there is definitely blood there.

I was told she wasn't due till September and had planned to get her spayed in July.

How long does this usually last? Does it get heavier? What do I need to do for her?

There really is minimal blood at the moment and Cookie isn't interested. Will this get worse?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
yep, she sounds like shes in heat
It normally lasts around 3 weeks!!
It may get a bit heavier, Layla did after the first few days. If you dont want blood everywhere you can buy her some doggie nappies!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, she sounds like shes in heat
It normally lasts around 3 weeks!!
It may get a bit heavier, Layla did after the first few days. If you dont want blood everywhere you can buy her some doggie nappies!
Great lol. There's a few spots now but only small. I'll have to get her something just in case.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just knew she was due because when i got her she was huge down there and always licking. I only noticed the blood yesterday. So I'm pretty sure she wasn't beeding before that.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
She shouldnt get too heavy as she is only a small dog but it varies from dog to dog.
If you cant find any dog nappies in your local pet shops and you want them sooner than buying off the internet you could try getting small or premature baby nappies and just cutting a whole for her tail haha!

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I dont think they sell anything to keep the blood contained but i think they do sell tablets and a spray to reduce the smell to male dogs so you can take her out on short walks

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well she's very light at the mo. And she's keeping herslef clean. Should I expect Cookie to go mad? He's 14 and he's been done.

Hopefully it will just stay light. I thought her bits couldn't be that size normally lol. But as I only just got her i didn't know what she is usually like. Lola hasn't even got nipples lol so it's hard to compare.

The only way I knew for sure the spots were from her was because I looked in there if you know what I mean lol. I had to be sure.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
My peke is in season right now. She's not fixed due to her crooked face, trachea and breathing problems. The vet really didn't want to chance getting her spayed. That being said, my neutered dogs ignore her, the intact males are going a little crazy.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Some neutered dogs ignore some still get the urge.. he may try to hump her.. she could 'stand' for him.. if they do don't separate them coz they can still tie.. DUnno if him being and older dog would stop him having the urges or not

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
well can't do anything about it now lol. Just gotta get through it and get her spayed. Is there any rule about how long after a season I have to wait to get her spayed?
I've heard its best to wait a couple of months after her season to make sure that everything is back to normal to minimize bleeding complications. I'm sure you will get through this just fine Marie!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had a look around petsmart last time we were there, I was looking for something to take away the yellow spots in grass from the doggie pee, and beside that stuff I saw doggie diapers? I assumed that those were for girls in season? Maybe some of those would help.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
just to add to everything said, since all good so far. females can go into early heat if sun bathing or another female around them is in heat. so if normal 6 months apart heat can go as early as 4 months instead of 6 months. also she may have a false pregnancy thinking she is pregnant but never bred, wait 2-3 months after to spay her.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone, you've really helped. I'm gonna wait 3 months after to get her spayed as I've read online that's best. I've been giving her extra love and a little rub on her belly. I feel for her lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts