Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know my boyfriend and I adopted Corky. Hes around 4 yrs old and was kept in a crate out in the garage at this womans house. I gave him a bath today and washed the comforter in the crate they gave me along with washing the crate....I was completely disgusted when I lifted up his blanket...there was old newspaper covered with Im assuming urine because it was stuck to the bottom along with old sqished dog poo :mad: Corky hasnt urinated nor pooed in his crate so who knows how long its been in there ((((GROSS)))) anyways when I was giving him a bath, which he liked btw lol, I noticed his feet are redish...like the fur. Is this caused from standing in urine and fecal matter or something like a food allergy? I asked the woman the day I picked him up and she told me she fed them whatever was on sale at the grocery store :( I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a food called
4health. I looked at the ingredients and it looked good so I just grabbed it. Im thinking about putting him in EVO or some other grainfree food soon though. Anyways if this is a food allergy once I figure it out Im sure it would go away but if its caused by urine will it go awayin time??

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Poor little Corky!! So glad you rescued him. Sounds like a miserable life he was having before you came along.

The reddish staining could be from licking if he has allergies. That's pretty common. Have you seen him licking his feet?

The 4health is good. It does have grains in it, so you may want to try a grain free food later on, which it sounds like you were going to do anyway. But good for you for rescuing this little soul!

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
aw it sounds like corky's life is looking up :D
There are some ingredients in kibble that some dogs are sensitive to. I know my dog is allergic to Dried beet pulp and that is in alot of kibbles but not all. Some dogs are sensitive to wheat, and some are allergic to certain types of meats.
Good luck getting him sorted out. :) Awesome that you are taking such good care of him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tracey <<I hope thats your name lol, In the past few days we have had him I have not seen him once lick his feet....well except for today but I think he was just licking the water off cos we just got back inside from being out in the rain! Its kind of like all the way up his legs too and kind of on his belly. Im glad the 4health is good for now. Im going to try him on a grainfree because I know its better for him and I know alot of dogs seem to be allergic to some if not all grains :/ Is EVO small bites a good one to try or is there something else out there? I really dont care how expenssive it is because 1..he deserves it and 2....its only like 10to 15 dollars for a small bag that would last us awhile since he doesnt eat all that much :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The red stains could infact be from urine. A few years ago my friend and I rescued an all white ferret who was kept in a filthy urine and poo lined cage and his fur was stained a reddish orange from having to stand and lay in his pee and after a good bath and a few coat changes he's back to a very beautiful creamy white color.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Evo small bites is good. Innova is good. There has been some controversy with these brands because Proctor and Gamble bought them out and some people think it is only a matter of time until they use cheaper ingredients and/or change the formulas.

But yes, they are excellent foods (if they stay the same).

Here's a coupon for $7.00 off a bag so you can try out any of these specialty foods at a discount. Feel free to sign up several email addresses if you wish. P&G can afford to send out these coupons, no problem there.

https://www.naturaadvantage.com/

Not sure how long the coupon lasts, but every little bit helps!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I hear of Proctor and Gamble buying this out.....is there any other grainfree that you would recommend....I should just feed him raw but I dont have the freezer space :/

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I don't feed kibble at all. So can't be of much help.

If you really want something top notch and don't mind a very expensive food, ZiwiPeak could be an option? It's excellent. It comes in a bag just like kibble, but it is a dehydrated raw. It's small jerky squares about the size of a dime and is just a fantastic option.

Otherwise, I'll let others answer your grain free kibble question! If you don't get many responses here, you could start a new thread. That might get more attention since this one started out as a staining question. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts