Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.nohr669.com

This is a bill that will outlaw the ownership, breeding and transport of most pet type animals. It is ill-conceived and poorly planned.
See: http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2009/04/hr669_nonnative_wildlife_invas.php

On the surface, HR 669 looks like a much-needed environmentally-friendly bill as touted by the Nature Conservancy, an organization I've been a member of for most of my life. HR 669, if enacted into law, proposes to prevent or to potentially undo at least some of the environmental and economic damage caused by invasive non-native bird, mammal, reptile, amphibian, fish and invertebrate species. It will do this by preventing these animals from being bred as well as preventing them from being sold, re-homed or relocated across either state or national boundaries for any reason. Even though there is a "Grandfather Clause" that would allow those of us who already hold any potentially damaging animals to keep them [see Section 3f], we still would not be allowed to re-home, sell or breed them nor would we be allowed to move them across either state or national boundaries for any reason [see Section 6].
Send them emails and snail-mail people.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I posted this in the other pets forum the other day it is under "Exotic bird owner's beware" but explains that all other non-native species are a part of it when you read on.

Thanks for posting it in here as it hasnt gotten many hits on it in there. Hopefully we can stop this one in its tracks;-)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have been posting them on all my forums as well as Facebook too. I think my Facebook friends think I am nuts. I am also fowarding them to anyone who will listen. ;-)

This one really bugs me as it has to do with so many pets that a lot of people already own. When someone need's to rehome or decide to move out of their state these pets will be euthanized:-(

I am so sick of these crazy bills trying to be passed:-(

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Wait, so, let me just see if I understand this. If the animal/reptile/fish is not native to the US it can't be bred/sold/owned? But...how many animals ARE native to the US. I mean, so many breeds of dog have been brought here and bred. What will they do with the animals that are already here??

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
This is just exotic and not domesticated FOR NOW. Although you can not ship in dog breeds out of state anymore unless you have a service that will do it for you (forgot what they are called)

Right now if you have exotics as such as guinea pigs, ferret's, hamsters, parrots, reptiles, etc... not native to the states, IF the bill is passed you will be fine owning them unless you relocate out of state or you need to rehome them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts