Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I am posting on the forum and I wonder about some of the words I am inclined to use -

I was just about to post - "you poor thing" to someone who wasn't feeling well. In Ireland that would just mean - "oh that's awful I am sorry you are not well."

But then I start analysing - in the US would that mean poor as in no money and thing as in object - so I scrapped it!! I have often instinctively went to use that phrase "poor thing" and not done so in case it is taken wrongly :)

Recently I said a chi had a cheeky little face, which here in Ireland means mischievous little face - at the time the person took me up and said something like - oh do you think so? and intimated it had a different meaning the US

Anyone else struggle sometimes with phrases that we use all the time but wonder do they read the same worldwide?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes!!!!! Even with spellings we spell a lot of words differently over here like colour is color in America!! Tbh I've decided not to worry about it any more if I post something and it's taken the wrong way it's tough we have a diverse community here ad I don't think we should worry about it if we have to explain then so be it!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
LOL...in the south "you poor thing" means the same as you said, ("you poor thing" to someone who wasn't feeling well. In Ireland that would just mean - "oh that's awful I am sorry you are not well.") but also can mean you're commiserating (someone that just hurt their finger--you poor thing that must be very painful--on a hurt or sarcastically--for example--so you didn't get the tickets you wanted but you got front row center..you poor thing, how are you ever going to survive..;)

You're very right..all these different meanings multiculturally is enhancing our vocabulary.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Anyone else struggle sometimes with phrases that we use all the time but wonder do they read the same worldwide?

Yes Jane, I think we can say something that is totally understood to have one meaning where I live, but might have a compeletely different interpretation in other areas of the world. It is never my intent to be unkind, so I do hope any differences in language never creates that situation. There are times when I will disagree with something that has been said, but I don't want my response to be hurtful or demeaning. Speech is a "funny" thing, and the written word is more easily misunderstood than the spoken word.. which puts us all at risk to "say" the wrong thing in a post. :coolwink:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
I never heard 'you poor thing' used to mean YOU ARE POOR !
(definitely never used as 'you moneyless object' ! )

The only time I can recall someone using anything in that context was Nelson on the Simpson's shouting 'Ha Ha, You're Poor'

·
Registered
852 Posts
The only time I can recall someone using anything in that context was Nelson on the Simpson's shouting 'Ha Ha, You're Poor'
LMAO I just imagined Nelson's laughing. So funny!

As said above, I wouldn't worry too much. If someone takes it the wrong way and they talk to you about it, then you can say what you mean.
Unless I know for sure it could have another meaning, I don't worry about stuff like that :)

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's what I was hoping to hear :) I just wasn't sure was that a uniquely Irish phrase, I don't think I have seen it on here.

Are there any other phrases that people think might be unique to where they live?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've found having grown up in Idaho and Northwest America a lot of things I've grown to say and comment now that I live in the south come across as rude a lot which, if you know me in person i'm about as sweet and courteous as can be. Just things i've always had to be considerate of, glad i'm not the only one.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes... One would like ones feet rubbed please madam hahaha

I don't think we have a lot of sayings in London unless you go down the eastend whole cockney rhyming slang business up north they do I have a friend in Sheffield and one in Liverpool and they have the strangest sayings!!

Oh when I worked in lewisham nick the locals especially the kids had their own little language!!! Now I was in my early 20s when I started there and felt ancient anyway it went like this

Blud = friend
Heavy = good
Bredrin = friend

There was loads but I can't remember it was a whole other language and they kiss their teeth when they don't like something hahaha for love nor money I can't kiss my teeth

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL - great phrases :)

I remember years ago meeting a Canadian couple abroad - they were asking what were the Irish pubs like in Ireland, we said "there's great craic in them"

Craic means mighty fun and is pronounced crack :) but they got sort of cold with us and it was only later that we realised they probably thought we meant crack as in cocaine :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Bwah ha ha!!!! These are hilarious!!

To be honest, I'd never heard anyone say that something was "cheeky" before coming here. I think it's a darling saying. Oh, and wonky!! I'd never heard anyone say that either. I love those words. :)

I think people should just talk like they do at home, and if there is a misunderstanding, we will address it. I love listening to you guys on youtube talk. :) And 'listening' to you here is fun too.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The other day at Petco Godric wasn't watching where he was going and ran smack into a shelf and I stopped and made sure he was okay I asked 'Did that smart? You alright?" And the clerk stopped, looked at me sideways and asked was what smart?

Something i've always heard, "That's smarts" or oh "It smarted" meaning, it hurts/stings/throbs etc.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Wonky lol seriously?? You guys are so funny, wonky like my teeth they are wonky!!!
What about wally or plonker??? Hahaha I haven't said plonker in years hahah reminds me of del boy

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
The Scots have cornered the market on slang, I think !

The only specific American slang I can ever think of is " Jeet ? "
Meaning, ' Have you eaten yet ( Did you eat) '

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Wonky lol seriously?? You guys are so funny, wonky like my teeth they are wonky!!!
What about wally or plonker??? Hahaha I haven't said plonker in years hahah reminds me of del boy
Now I say wonky all the time!!! ha!

What is a wally or plonker. Oh my. Maybe I don't want to know. And what is a del boy. HA HA.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
LOL Tracy who have you been listening to?:p

A wally or a plonker is an eejit - (or is that another different phrase?) someone stupid.

A Del Boy - Del Boy is a character on a tv show here - he's a real chancer, he would sell his own grandmother to make a deal, always dealing in dodgy or stolen goods - like selling televisions which have no working parts inside that kind of thing!

Another word for wonky is banjaxed :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts