Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to come up with solutions to the million trips out side after midnight as our neighborhood has been having break in issues and such. All of my dogs are outsided trained and during the day when everyone is awake enough to keep a good eye on them. At night is a totally different story. None of them sleep with me anymore at night (traitors ;) ) and sleep with either my mom or one of my siblings. My mom is a night owl and is usually up and takes them out but is getting worried with all the news about break ins and people walking around at night. So after this wordy explination my question is do you think it will confuse them if they are gated in a small area with their beds and a pad for night time. I'd love to be able to crate them but don't have enough crates for them all to have their own. TIA for you advice.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't think they'd have a hard time adjusting to it at all. We have our home open now; and the dogs always have access to the potty corner in their bedroom. We let them out frequently, but they always have the pads as a 'just in case' at night.So it doesn't always have ot be a crate; if the dog is used to using the pad, it will seek it out even if it has free run of the house. Mine do anyway; just takes time!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Same here Holly is let out enough during the day but uses a potty pad at night. She has had free roam of the house since she came.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With Xombie we're using potty pads for cold/rainy weather since he's so sensitive to it. He goes out to potty during nice days/evenings and when its cold or nasty out he uses his pads. So far he seems to be gathering the concept pretty well (for an 8 week old lol). I don't think it would cause a problem at all, they'll just know that if they can't get outside they can use the pads. =)

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ladies. I have everything I need to make some pads and since I don't have work anymore I have time to make them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts