Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age should a chi puppy have their vaccinations and which vaccinations are important to get? I just want to make sure Audrey gets everything at the correct time.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Here is what I recommend/follow for my own dogs:
Distemper/Parvo at 9, 12 & 16 weeks Booster at 1 year old, then titers thereafter
Rabies at 24 weeks or older Booster at 1 year old (not same day as Distemper/Parvo do like 3-4 weeks apart), then every 3 years or as required by law.

Also ask your vet to administer 1/2 doses of the vaccines as a 150# Great Dane normally receives the same vaccine/dose as our little tiny chi's, all that is required for immunity is 1 drop not 1cc which is what the vials are. Zoey has only had 1/2 dose vaccines, has never had a full dose of anything.

Zoey hasn't had any vaccines since she was 1 year old she is now almost 5 years, her titer levels are still coming back high normal. She has a weak immune system as well. The titer is a blood test to gauge the immunity response from the shots she has received.

You can read more about other vaccines here:
Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Were different in the uk we don't have rabies in this country so only vaccinate if they need a passport anyway we get distemper/parvo etc at 8 weeks and 12 weeks then an annual booster and that's it

I will do annual boosters as it's a term on my insurance

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Mine get their puppy vac's at 8 and 12 weeks, then their booster at 1 year. After that, they dont get any vaccinations unless their immunity comes back as being low after their Titer tests.

Pippi was due a booster last August (2009) - She had a titer test (which our vet calls immunity tests) which came back fine. She had another titer test at the end of August this year too and it came back fine as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts