Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here vaccinate their own pups? It is expensive to get all my pups vaccinated and wormed, if anybody does it themselves can u please let me know what you use and how u use it. I know how to give shots, I have been giving my hubbys allergy shot for a while now, is it the same thing as giving a human shot?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
dont know much about giving animal shots but im a registered nurse and give shots all day long............hee hee, but even I would not give my dogs as it is different and also i would be worried about the amount I am giving is right and I am not sure of vein and nerve posistion in animals and injecting into a nerve or a vein would be life threatening

hope this helps :wave:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do most of my own at home... except rabies which has to be done by licensed vet where I live.

It's super super cheaper then the vet . I buy in bulk because I have 6 dogs. the vaccines can be bought singe but if you buy in a puppy pack of 25 it's cheaper. Your own dog will use some and maybe you could split it with another dog owner. You also can keep refridgerated for future vaccines. The place I buy from gives exact instructions on ho to do it. I also found that for touchy pups who squeal with the shots in the neck that a shot in the rum works best and they don't seem to mind it. You also haveto give the shot slow , especially on the smalle pups. NONE of my dogs except little Moo minds them and don't even wiggle or let out a noise. Little Moo is a big baby with everything but doesn't mind a rump shot.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Ozzysmom, my husband is a tattoo artist and he still won't touch Mikey w/ a needle. Also, 1 of my chemo nurses had just gotten a jack russel terrier, well her husband could not understand why she wouldn't give the little guy his shots. She said she refused to hurt her own baby. I don't blame her, I couldn't do it either.

·
Registered
400 Posts
LOL>>>>>> Well I have to admit I only hold the dogs while my sister(a registered nurse ) gives the actual shot... LOL

She makes sure she doesn't hit a vein by drawing back a tiny bit first to see if any spot of blood.... or something like that anyways.

But all in all if you can give shot you probably can do your own. I'm talking seriously way less money then having the vet do it. Actually the vet here just jabs it in without hardly a look. I think at least my sister pays attention :shock:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do u purchase the vaccines? They told me Vanguard Plus 5 is a good vaccine and that Safeguard is a good wormer for puppies. Maybe I would get my father in law who was a medic in the Vietnam to give them the shot, I don't want my pups thinking I would hurt them kwim. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts