Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took Ozzy to get his second vaccination last night (first one with me), poor thing was squealing that loud everyone on reception heard!
He's was very quiet last night & yelped whenever i touched him, even when i was careful not to go near the injection site.

He's the same this morning, just lying in his bed looking sorry for himself, & when i petted him he started yelping, is this normal?

i feel so bad :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
hmm ive not had this with any of mine. but Elise iid yelp for her first ever vaccination. mabe Ozzy just feels tender from the vaccination. im sure he will be back to normal very soon x

·
Registered
644 Posts
my Diefie was just the same with his injections.
i should say Ozzy will feel a lot better by tomorrow but if you need reassurance, call your vet and have a chat about it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
yeah, i've heard of this happening often with the smaller breeds. It goes away with time but i would keep an eye open for any signs of allergic reactions to the vaccine and keep an eye on his food intake. A high school friend of mine notices that everytime her chi mix gets a shot he doesnt want to eat.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Daisy did exactly the same with her first 2nd is on monday. Crying at time is coz the vaccination is cold. She was crying in her sleep when i picked her up and everything for 2 days. She also had infection though. Just keep an eye on him x

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
milly is the same today
poor milly =(
i hope she gets better soon!

he was crying and howling for ages after the jab, i have never felt so guilty in my life!
i can't wait to get home to him in an hour and make sure he's alright.

should i just leave him to rest just now then til he's over it?
when i pick him up he'll settle in my arms, but then he tries to climb up and sit near my shoulder but yelps because its hurting him. =(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Poor Ozzy. I would keep walks to a minimum if he goes out to potty. Don't allow playtime if you see he is still in pain ( my dog will play with a broken leg if you dont stop her). If you must handle him make sure you are mindful of his sore spot. If he wants up near your shoulder you can place him there to ease his troubles.

Does it hurt when he walks? I would call the vet if the pain seems to be too much. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Let him rest but just assure him you're there. He should be ok in a day or so. If not call your vet hope he feels better soon. On the upside he can go out next week!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Vivid - No he's fine walking, its just every now and again he yelps really loud, I didnt think i'd touched a sore bit but i must have. I didn't take him outside last night for potty, just put a pee pad in his playpen for him.

I think he thinks i'm going to do it again, because i was holding him when the vet gave his jag?

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The injection site can be quite painful to them. Sometime even causing a lil fluid filled knot. The body eventually absorbs it. It can take up to a few weeks. I've even heard some take as long as a month. I pre-treat all of mine with Benadryl before injections. Your vet can administer a Benadryl injection prior, or you can give it oral. You have to ask for it, though. It helps out a lot with vaccine reactions. I hope your baby is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Phoebe reacted the same way to her vaccines. It was HORRIBLE so I know how you must feel so evil for making him get it. It can be very hard on their tiny bodies. I mean they give the same injects, same amounts, same size needle to a chihuahua and a great dane, so obviously its probably got more chance of paining one than the other.
This is one of the reasons my girlie (well all my pups) will not be getting vaccinated often if at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rascal just got his vaccination today i got the 3 yearly one done on him so he won't need another one for 3 years. BUt in saying that Rascal was very good at the vets he didn't make a pip when the vet gave him the needle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts