Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had read and heard that vaccines can be dangerous in very small dogs as most or all of the vaccines are not dosed for a 6 lb. dog. Late last year Baby, our Chi, developed pneumonia after we flew her back home for vacation (she was in the cabin of the plane with us). Vets believe the stress of the plane trip compromised her immune system. I did not know travel could be dangerous to the health of some little dogs. The vets did not believe she would live but the intensive care she received in the ICU/emergency hospital and our around the clock care once she came home saved her. She fully recovered and was doing great. So in late April the vet gave Baby the intranasal kennel cough vaccine (we would never board her but live in a high rise that has other dogs in close proximity). She developed kennel cough from the vaccine! It was scary. She had to take Clavamox for 2 weeks and have xrays. She has mostly recovered but still coughs and she is not fully recovered even though it has been 6 weeks. I want to help others know about the risks of travel and vaccines for small dogs. I would never do the kennel cough vaccine again as we would never board her. Plus the vaccine is not 100% effective anyway and it has high risk of causing runny nose or flu like symptoms. The vet said it is less common for a dog to develop kennel cough from it like Baby did but I read online that a lot of Chis get sick from the kennel cough vaccine. I have also heard a lot of small dogs get sick from the rabies vaccine and we will not do that one (will get a vet's letter excusing her). I hope sharing these 2 expensive, stressful ordeals we had help others avoid it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Vaccines cause two of my pom to get sick, one she got bad seizures and had to be put down. The other one got real sick from I believe kennel cough but vet said it wasn't. she also got heart disease that went untreated vet missed it even when it was on x-ray, another vet looked at same x-ray seen it right away. she was on clavamox for months and just was so bad we ended up putting her down, Now I have my 9 week chi and made vet give her 1/2 the dose and no lipo till 6 months old and I wont give her rabies either. I will never give her any more vaccines after the puppy series with out testing see if she needs them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts