Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many set of shots are given to puppies the first year?My puppy's vet said if you want the four set its optional.I am pretty confused on this would anyone else pup have this amount of vaccines 3 sets.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i believe bobo has to get 4 sets. of booster vaccinations
he's gonna get his 3rd on fri. i would get em all just in case

the vacc. only cost $26 each with tax. at my vet. i take bobo
to the blue cross animal hospital here.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
hmmm...

I believe you get a series of three puppy boosters...gosh I should know this...I have three dogs...lol.

Okay I found my vaccine schedule...this is what it says

6-8wks - distemper booster....get the 5 in one shot not the 7 in one

10-12wks - 2nd distemper booster..again 5 in one.

14-16 wks - 3rd distemper booster (5 in 1) and rabies

I really think thats all it is...the puppy boosters contain parvo and other vaccines they need. Sometimes people decide on the borditella vaccine to avoid kennel cough...some people want the lepto but there is an article in 'chi articles" (2nd page) about lepto and the hidden dangers.

Did you ask your vet what the 4th shot would be??? Besides the distemper boosters and rabies I cannot think of anything else that is needed. I know you get three boosters and a rabies as a pup.

·
Registered
820 Posts
im new at this so im not so sure, i asked the nurse at the vet
and she said puppies need 4 shots....dont know what its for tho.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I think the 4 shots are the three distempers and the rabies...thats what it sounds like to me...if so then yes they need all four of those and I wouldnt imagine why they would charge you more. Ask the vet what it means that the 4th is extra...if they mean the third distemper or something wierd I would find another vet.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
shots

My vet told me that the 4th shot was the rabies shot. I used to use another vet and I could have sworn that they gave mine 4 shots + the rabies. Ofcourse they gave the kennel cough vaccine 3 times before the neuter to and this new doctor says that is not necessary unless you started it a 5wks and I never even had a pup at 5wks old and was charged 3 times for this shot in the past? I know how it can be confusing. I do trust the vet I have now more though because she told me about the lepto vaccine in the 7 shot series was dangerous to chis and that made me feel much better, I felt she knew what she was talking about :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts