Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 year old chi she was vaccined as a puppy, twice with her breeder then once when I got her as a young pup. She has ONLY ever been vaccinated as a puppy.....

So now 4 years later, my vet is starting to push vaccines on her.

I am so torn. I read all over the net not vaccinate and then sometimes TO vaccinate.....

I hear Parvo is so bad.... Should I vaccinate her now? Or mabe just try and get a Parvo shot only? :confused:

If she has never been vaccinated before will she need a booster, then a couple weeks later another shot? I hear boosters are bad...:confused:

I want to be totally informed when I see my vet again, so he cant push me into anything I dont feel comfortable giving her.

Any help would be great!:confused::confused:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ask your vet when was the last time he saw parvo or hepatitis in a 4 year old dog. There is your answer. ;)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
If she has never had a booster, you could do that if you feel comfy. Just ask that they only vaccinate her with the core vaccines. Look up Dr. Dodds protocol. Some here do puppy shots, then no more. It's really up to you. :)

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
It is a personal choice really.
When i had to take Daisy in for her booster so she could be added to my insurance, because it had been longer than 2 years since the breeder had hers done she had to have them all again, as in 2 shots spaced out.
That's how my vet does it.
Only up to the 2 year mark and then it's not just a booster.
That could very well be a crock, but i did it anyway.

I think i will just have them done every year because of my insurance because if something was to happen, they wouldnt pay out if they arent uptodate on their shots, and that kinda defeats the purpose of having insurance.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You would need to have the full set like they have as a puppy again i would think. Personally I get mine done every year. I've stopped with Cookie as he's 14 now and had 13 years of vaccines so I think he's pretty immune now plus I worry about giving him that stuff at his age.

My younger ones will get done every year

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Thanks Zoeys mom for the link :)

Brodysmom, is it uncommon for dogs 4-5 years old to get Parvo???

Hmm I gotta really look into this more, I such a worrier with my little chi lol!!! Going to look up Dr.Dodds protocol!!! Wish it was easier to just trust your own vet..... arrrgggg!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Brodysmom, is it uncommon for dogs 4-5 years old to get Parvo???
EXTREMELY uncommon. As in I have never seen or heard of a case of parvo EVER in a 4 year old dog. Ask your vet. Parvo is a puppy disease. Not saying it's impossible, but the chances of an adult dog contracting parvo are remote.

I will see if I can find a study that confirms this. :) I know I have read of several but didn't bookmark them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts