Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever taken valerian root to help them sleep? I have trouble sleeping and don't want to keep taking tylenol pm because it makes me so sleepy the next day. I don't know much about it anyone use it?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I work nights, so I have sleep problems. ha.

I take melatonin if I can't sleep. It's supposed to be really safe. I also take 50mg of benadryl (diphenhydramine) if I absolutely can't sleep and I need to. Sometimes I come home from work in the morning so TIRED but it's like I can't relax and I just lay there and then I get shaky and sick feeling. So taking benadryl and/or melatonin really helps me out. I get quality sleep and then wake up feeling rested and fine.

If you look at tylenol pm, it is just tylenol and benadryl mixed together. Most sleep aids that say they are safe and/or non-habit forming are benadryl.

I haven't ever tried the valerian.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yes, benadryl is safe and non habit forming. Cheap too. If you read the labels on a lot of the sleep aids, you'll see diphenhydramine listed on a LOT of products. That's the generic form of benadryl. You could start with just one 25mg and then go to 2 for a total of 50mg. I wouldn't take more than that. Sometimes my husband can't sleep and he takes half of a 25 mg (only 12.5mg!) and it puts him to sleep.

Safe and effective and cheap. What else could you ask for. LOL.

Brodysmom

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
i used to drink this tea with valerian root in it, but it didn't put me to sleep. it made me just feel more relaxed and calm - might have been psychological though. to help me sleep i sometimes take over the counter generic sleeping aids, basically benadryl.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I like the tylenol 'simply sleep' and I only take a half dose, otherwise I dont want to wake up in the morning. And everyone wants the schoolbus driver FULLY AWAKE in the morning.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have always struggled with falling asleep and then waking throughout the night. I was taking Benadryl for some time and it was working until all of a sudden I started waking abruptly as soon as I fell asleep and if felt like I couldnt feel any of my organs functioning..does that make sense? It really freaked me out and I finally went to the doctor and she told me that I was having issues with the first sleep stage and she prescribed me Trazadone (I think this is the generic form) this is apparently also a antidepressant (in which I have never taken before) but this one is not addictive and it is a very mild dosage. It is supposed to skip over the first stage of sleep and then jump right into the second sleep stage and let me tell you I dont know how I lived without this? I have never had such restfull sleep and I am still am able to wake in the morning without feeling sleepy:)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
omg, i had forgotten till you said that yoshismom. when i was about 26, i had a bad fall. i tried to just rest and recuperate on my own without going to the dr. we were broke and had no insurance. well, my back ended up getting so bad that i couldnt walk. counldnt function at all. then i had to go to the doctor. i told him everything and he asked how i was sleeping. well, i was waking up constantly to turn over in bed, cause nothing was comfortable to me. he said, that i wasnt falling into the right sleep for my body to heal itself. so he gave me trazadone to help keep me asleep so that i could start healing. i still wound up having to go to physical therapy and such, but that helped immensely. i had forgotten about the trazadone, but believe me, i will never forget not being able to walk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts