Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All..
Guess I'm "ranting" here for a bit.. LOL
I get so dern aggaravated when we take our lil' guy out in
public places, due to folks wanting to pet him and not being able to
take No for an answer or understanding Chihuahua's are not big on
strangers and defen. not big on being petted by them.
I've had folks litterally push thereself on my dog when plainly told,
No petting, and I have to go walk rudly off.:foxes15:
It just aggravates me.
Others on here experience this often as well??
Whats a good one liner to use for folks that don't take No for an
answer?? When I'm out, I'm out to enjoy myself, my dog is
not on show.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Here here

I encourage people simply because bijoux could use the socialization but I hate when children will run up to your dog screaming. I understand they are kids and don't know any better but Bijoux doesnt they then Continue to say "oh I like your dog" etc expecting me to offer bijoux to them for pets while she is freaked right out and I tell them sorry no. Not to say I don't let kids pet her if kids are polite and calm I am all for it.

I think the proper rule of thumb is to ask to pet someones dog for your safety and the dogs its just common sense and courtesy

·
Registered
477 Posts
My Bichon, Cosmo, is a therapy dog and he is used to pre-schoolers. He stops when we are walking and meet someone, expecting them to pet him and pay attention to him. I am always watchful that little hands don't get too rough. I encourage Lavender to be sociable, allow people to pet her, but am right there seeing that she doesn't get intimidated. I will let someone she knows hold her. Everyone wants to hold little Lavender and I'm not against that, but am careful who pets her or holds her. I don't let anyone pick her up, I do that, and hand her to someone who can hold her. She's sweet and friendly and I want her to stay that way and never get frightened. I'm a very protective mom!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
because Dottie is so tiny people want to hold her,I now say No because she gets agitated with strangers,this isn't true but I'm so scared somebody may drop her only family and trusted friends are allowed,and you never know if somebody wants to steal them

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I take them out just to have people pet them to keep them socialized. We get stopped about every 10 steps LOL and we love it! Chibi loves the attention and Yoshi could take it or leave it. Neither of mine mind being petted. :) Now as for holding, I am not really big on handing them over to just anybody. It is according to the situation and who is asking. They are pretty tiny guys so wouldnt take much to drop them and cause major damage. Chibi is scared of heights and feels safe with me and Yoshi doesnt want to leave me.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
We experience the same thing! I just take it as a great socialization opportunity and let them pet him and oooh and aaah. It only takes a moment and it makes someone happy, what's the harm? I always make sure he is on the ground though. If I'm holding him in my arms he tends to feel protective and defensive. So when someone comes over, I plunk him on the ground and let them come! It's a great opportunity to talk about Chi's and their specific needs. Most people go away saying "Wow! He's so cute and friendly!" I love that. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
We also get that all the time. Lucky poppy has been used to kids & people since she was a babe but I still watch very close. Kids always want to pick her up & I can't believe sometimes that the parents aren't more worried or controlling their kids either! Sometimes I do just keep walking when people say how cute she is, I just say thanks but most of the time we stop for a few seconds & let them pet her. It's amazing that only once or twice have people actually asked 'is it ok to pet your dog' I net they wouldn't do that to a rottie!!
Perhaps you could just say that she is a bit nervous of people or something and that it's probably better to not to pet her? Sounds rubbish I know!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
My dogs are nervous of strangers. If a stranger is in my house they will warm up to them quickly, but outside they don't care to be petted. I live right by a park where lots of kids play and kids often run over. I had a boy jump off of his bike, throw it to the ground, and run over and try to pick up one of my dogs without asking. I usually don't let people pet them unless it looks like my dogs are interested in them. I don't think it is being rude when I say "no" to petting- I don't want my dogs to be terrorized by strange kids and possibly bite one of them. I think it is the responsible thing for me to do if I am unsure how they will react.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm afraid I'm with the few that let it happen for the most part. I want to make sure my dogs stay socialized (granted most of this was done of course when they were puppies, but still need a refresher course.) With the exception of our special Zoey, my doggies love meeting new people. And, as long as the experience stays positive (they don't appear nervous, scared or like they would snap at someone) I encourage it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't understand when somebody ask to pet your dog and then you say no and they do it anyways :foxes15: We go to Petco/Petsmart/PSP anywhere we take our dogs we get hounded! Everybody goes nuts over the triplets! LOL Which I don't mind of course I love that they get to be socalized. At the same time I know Shayley & Kaige are going to love the attention where Kizzie just "likes" it. She was a nauhgty little girlie at first! She would bark at EVERYBODY body but then when she saw that same person go by again, she'd be happy! lol Now she is low key. Kizzie picks out who she likes and dislikes. We were at the vets and this guy came up to the gang and Kizzie was in my lap while he was petting Shayley & Kaige, then he went for Kizzie and I told him she's a bit nervous (She was backing up into my arms and turning her head) and I told him she didn't really want to be petted she was nervous and YET he kept going for her. SO much she jumped on my shoulders :foxes15: I had to get up and focus the attention back on Shayley & Kaige, he was older maybe hard of hearing but still as if he couldn't see the way she is acting! I don't like when people just think they can do those things. I always ask if I can pet a dog before just walking up to it. :p So I def understand your vent! L:angry2:L

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I'm with the "it's good for socialization" school, too. As long as my dogs show no signs of nervousness, I let them be petted. But I do not let them be picked up ever.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My dogs are fine with strangers, one is very small and he draws the most attention.. it does get annoying :( I don't let strangers hold him they can pet him quickly if he is in my arms but thats it.

You do worry about someone taking off with the small ones so I tend to err on the side of caution.
Strange screaming kids are the worst though!

ETA I have been guilty of also saying "no they bite" when I did not want to deal with someone or was in a rush.. lol

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
It is very unusual for us to go a day without someone stopping us on our walks wanting to pat Axle or take his picture. He loves meeting new people and I feel it's good for his socialization. I do appreciate it when people ask first and i'm very cautious about letting other people hold him (especially kids) but we've not had a negative experience in the 9 weeks i've had him. I plan to have the same approach with my new puppy who arrives on the weekend as i'm sure this daily exposure to new people is what has helped Axle become such as sociable little guy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
DragonFly knows exactly what I'm talking about!!!
Thats what I'm talking about, when they are told NO, May Bite and
dog is starting to geek and on they come.:foxes15: I just have to walk off cause
it angers me. I'm taking my dog out to get fresh air/not leave home
alone. Not for others amusement/etc..
I let the breed be what it is, which is one person/and, or one family
dog Only!!! I'm not out to change my breed, I like them exactly the
way they are, main reason I have one to begin with or I'd have a
people loving Poodle!!
Okay,, done venting.. LOL..
Thanks for input guys!! Hug!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
DragonFly knows exactly what I'm talking about!!!
Thats what I'm talking about, when they are told NO, May Bite and
dog is starting to geek and on they come.:foxes15: I just have to walk off cause
it angers me. I'm taking my dog out to get fresh air/not leave home
alone. Not for others amusement/etc..
I let the breed be what it is, which is one person/and, or one family
dog Only!!! I'm not out to change my breed, I like them exactly the
way they are, main reason I have one to begin with or I'd have a
people loving Poodle!!
Okay,, done venting.. LOL..
Thanks for input guys!! Hug!!
LOL!!
I agree with you, my dogs are friendly but they are still chihuahuas, they are very suspicious of people.. ha ha but they follow my lead when it comes to interactions with people. I love how loyal and devoted they are!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bijoux is not delicate I actually encourage people to hold her simply because she is afraid. I know it's weird but I want her to learn that it's okay for others to hold her and I know bijoux won't wiggle as she's handled all the time. It actually works out best to get her to warm up to a person she calms down and usually will give a small cheek kiss. She's like a rag doll and is happiest in your arms lol

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
If people don't respect what you're saying, that's awful then. I don't usually have many problems myself. I get approached all the time when I'm out with mine, but most everyone I encounter is lovely and just excited to see them. They always act shocked at how sweet they are because unfortunately chi's are often portrayed as being unfriendly. My Pip is especially friendly with strangers. Roo is friendly and sweet, but definitely more shy with strangers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My Lab Dylan is not aggressive and will pay no mind to most people milling around him but he is protective and will act accordingly when some one rushes up to him or me. I am constantly amazed when this happens and he give just a low growl, it is usually followed by me being chastised by the offending party for having my viscous dog out on the loose where he could bite some one! I used to take the time to explain that he was just doing his job and if you would have given me time to tell him it was ok then he would have sat down offered his paw and let you, or rather insisted that you pet him. Now I usually just say sorry I had to bring him my gun is out being cleaned.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
FWIW, I don't think that not liking strangers is "letting the breed be." Like any dog it is just in how it is initially raised; doesn't mean that by not socializing the majority that by nature they are like that. I know a LOT of chi's who love meeting hew people and are friendly. Just throwing that out there; as I don't think that proper socialization (which should be done for any dog really) is changing the breed at all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts