Chihuahua People Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
FWIW, I don't think that not liking strangers is "letting the breed be." Like any dog it is just in how it is initially raised; doesn't mean that by not socializing the majority that by nature they are like that. I know a LOT of chi's who love meeting hew people and are friendly. Just throwing that out there; as I don't think that proper socialization (which should be done for any dog really) is changing the breed at all.
I think she was referring to the fact that Chihuahuas do have specific quirks and traits that make them a fairly unique breed.
My male dog is very well socialized and he will go to anyone I expose him to, but you can tell he is just tolerating it because he has been taught to/well exposed.. he does not really enjoy being with people other than "his" people.

However his behaviour is stellar in those situations but he is not affectionate towards people that are not his and he is not really that interested in the people.. he just deals, I have found this to be more common than not with this breed and I have plenty of experience at this point, that in my opinion is the difference between a well adapted Chihuahua & a poorly bred lap shark (and yes I've owned those as well)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey used to love to meet new people and was not afraid of anyone until a couple of tramatic visits to the vets now she is very leary of strangers and like Brody I have to put her on the ground/floor on she can get a defensive attitude.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think she was referring to the fact that Chihuahuas do have specific quirks and traits that make them a fairly unique breed.
My male dog is very well socialized and he will go to anyone I expose him to, but you can tell he is just tolerating it because he has been taught to/well exposed.. he does not really enjoy being with people other than "his" people.

That is how Kizzie is, she will let you pet her but at the same time she's kinda like "well if you must!" :tard: lol Where good God you'd think it was the end of the world with Shayley and Kaige! They get so happy around people like Shayley will do that butt dance :bootyshake: and Kaige will get so excited to see somebody he "yelps" because he wants to run to them so bad. lol It's so funny. Shayley & Kizzie were both raised by me since wee pups and to be honest they both have been very socialized, but Shayley is much more into other people than Kizzie. I do think Kizzie was more socalized as a puppy than Shayley which is odd too. I don't know if that is just a hit and miss with some Chis but who knows. I can't really speak for Kaige since I adopted him at 10months. But thankfully I have no issues with him :rolleyes: as he's a lover for attention! lol

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Right! Bijou is a total snob really.. lol it's funny, just acts bored and he watches me constantly to be sure I am not out of his sight. Mimi is less like this but she is more shy than him but yet she will show affection to strangers.

Both my dogs are long coat apple heads.
My best friend has two short coat deers and her dogs are more socially outgoing with strangers/other dogs (mine only like other Chi's) but I bet that's more coincidental than anything. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi no one picks up buster except me or mh i have 4 grandchildren that buster gets so excited to see when we have a grandchildren sleepover but none are allowed to pick him up its for his safety he wants to enjoy everyone on his on not haveing all hands and arms grabbing at him just tell anyone no and stick to it

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Both hubby & I let children pet our pups. We also like to walk by the rehab center and
cheer up some folks that are going through a tough time and are stuck temporarily or
permanently in wheelchairs. My guys enjoy the attention and we enjoy seeing people smile
from something so simple yet rewarding. However I do not like the disrespectful folks
who think it's ok to let their kids run after my dogs and try to pull on my dogs ears and tail.
You can hear them yell to their kids "it's ok go pet them!" Hmm...did I say it
was ok?! Why not ask the dog owner first. What if a dog is aggressive and
bites your kids? Anywho, kids don't know any better, so I blame the parents.
Other grown ups also at times like to stick their hands where they don't belong.
I remember one time I was in line at a video rental store with Kissa in my arms. A lady
behind me in line pulled on Kissa's tail! So what did my dog do? Gave a warning growl!
And the woman goes "Oh she's so nasty!" Wow! I saw hubby's face, he was not impressed. :cussing:
All I want is simple courtesy, ask "Can I please pet your dog?" That's it, no problem. :)
I think all parents should teach their kids to always ask permission, who knows how
the dog will react. Just because it's small and fluffy doesn't mean it won't bite.
I always try to educate the little ones so they ask permission, because not all
doggies are the same, some are shy, or hurt, or old, or even grumpy,lol. The kids
always seem to understand. I also tell them where most dogs like to be
petted, because some little monsters like to grab the dog's nose or stick fingers in
funny places,lol.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
hi no one picks up buster except me or mh i have 4 grandchildren that buster gets so excited to see when we have a grandchildren sleepover but none are allowed to pick him up its for his safety he wants to enjoy everyone on his on not haveing all hands and arms grabbing at him just tell anyone no and stick to it
Exactly! Same here, I don't let children pick up Chanel. If they want to play with
her up close and personal they can go down to her level, the floor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi All..
Guess I'm "ranting" here for a bit.. LOL
I get so dern aggaravated when we take our lil' guy out in
public places, due to folks wanting to pet him and not being able to
take No for an answer or understanding Chihuahua's are not big on
strangers and defen. not big on being petted by them.
I've had folks litterally push thereself on my dog when plainly told,
No petting, and I have to go walk rudly off.:foxes15:
It just aggravates me.
Others on here experience this often as well??
Whats a good one liner to use for folks that don't take No for an
answer?? When I'm out, I'm out to enjoy myself, my dog is
not on show.
I encourage people to pet Teddy to help with socialization, but it irks me when people reach out and pet him without even asking. I was holding him at Petsmart because it was an adoption day for several big rescues and there was a lot going on. He was really nervous on the ground with all the foot traffic, so I held him. As people passed behind me, they sometimes reached OVER my shoulder to pet him without asking! I couldn't even see them until a second after.

My Jack Russell was dog aggressive and people didn't want to take "no" for an answer in letting her greet their dogs (or trying to pet her while holding on to their own dog). I finally said, "Sorry, she bites" and that seemed to keep people away. Haha.

I imagine if you said something like that that people would leave your pup alone.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
It is annoying, esp if yo just want a nice quiet walk and you keep getting stopped. I also did my best to socialize mine and let people/kids stroke them because I knew it would happen anyway! It is just frustrating that kids always want to stroke Heidi (the cute, littlest one) when she is the only one who is nervous of strangers.:rolleyes: She is the friendliest girl in the world when she knows you but is a naturally nervous dog and doesnt appreciate being mauled by total strangers (cant say I blame her!!).
Luckily most people are distracted by Hannah saying hello and Adam trying to climb into their lap. I think he feels hard done by if a total stranger (preferably a loud, obnoxious kid) doesnt try and pick him up!!LOL If anyone even looks his way he will start prancing and play bowing, desperatly trying to entice them over!!

Im sre these are the same people that run across the road to avoid a rottie or pitbull though. They really have no clue about dogs at all.:mad: I think its more natural for a dog to be a little wary of strangers and yet if its small and looks like a cuddly toy it doesnt occur to people that the dog they are grabbing is the exactly the same animal as the german shepard they avoid!!:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Piper is friendly, friendly, friendly, friendly. She's careful not to get stepped on (who can blame her) but she runs up to people with no problem and often indicates that she would like to be picked up.

I'm of the school that believes that dogs (regardless of their breed) should be properly socialized. They don't have to love people but they do have to understand that they are not, under any circumstances, permitted to bite.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I let the breed be what it is, which is one person/and, or one family
dog Only!!! I'm not out to change my breed, I like them exactly the
way they are....

I'm sorry. I wasn't going to say anything other than what I previously said but I'm having a hard time with this. :(

If you had a doberman (for example) you wouldn't want to just "let the breed be what it is". There isn't a breed that comes more loyal, devoted, family-oriented, etc. than the doberman - that's what they were bred for; to be devoted to and protect a single individual or family (and they almost always pick one person in their family to bond more strongly with) - but it sure isn't cute if they're shy/nervous/stand-offish/snappy/anxious/etc. Never mind that but no one is going to take, "Oh, that's just how the breed is," as an excuse for any bad behaviour.

I totally understand disliking being mobbed when you're out with your chi. There have been times where I've purposely not taken Piper with me somewhere because I didn't have time to be stopped every half a block but I'm proud and happy that she's as well-socialized and friendly as she is. I think it's my responsibility as a dog owner (of any breed) to ensure that my dogs are well-adjusted and tolerant of well-intentioned strangers.

I don't mean to take away from your feelings, I just can't stand it when people don't hold small dogs accountable for behaviour that a large dog would be (metaphorically) crucified for. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I'm sorry. I wasn't going to say anything other than what I previously said but I'm having a hard time with this. :(

If you had a doberman (for example) you wouldn't want to just "let the breed be what it is". There isn't a breed that comes more loyal, devoted, family-oriented, etc. than the doberman - that's what they were bred for; to be devoted to and protect a single individual or family (and they almost always pick one person in their family to bond more strongly with) - but it sure isn't cute if they're shy/nervous/stand-offish/snappy/anxious/etc. Never mind that but no one is going to take, "Oh, that's just how the breed is," as an excuse for any bad behaviour.

I totally understand disliking being mobbed when you're out with your chi. There have been times where I've purposely not taken Piper with me somewhere because I didn't have time to be stopped every half a block but I'm proud and happy that she's as well-socialized and friendly as she is. I think it's my responsibility as a dog owner (of any breed) to ensure that my dogs are well-adjusted and tolerant of well-intentioned strangers.

I don't mean to take away from your feelings, I just can't stand it when people don't hold small dogs accountable for behaviour that a large dog would be (metaphorically) crucified for. Bad behaviour is bad behaviour.
I think what the OP means is she doesn't feel that chi's need to act like the breeds of dogs that are excessively people friendly such as labs. Of course, I think it is the owners responsibility to socialize their dogs and teach them that biting is not okay. I took my chi Lion to puppy obedience/socialization classes starting at 15 weeks and I take him to an agility class almost weekly now. He goes on walks 2-3 X per day and meets many new people. He just does not like being held or petted by strange people he meets until he is comfortable with them, and I see nothing wrong w/ that.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have noticed this year, something I was kind of surprised to see... I have a 6 year old daughter and her brothers are 22 and 19 ~ bit of a gap so the whole education thing has been changed second go round.... Something I have liked though which they actually have already dealt with this school year is approaching animals and how a child should go about doing so for the first time with an animal he/she isn't familiar with. It was nice to see that introduced into the curriculum. A lot of kids have no idea about animals because they don't have them to love (which I think is a total bummer). They see them and the excitement at the opportunity to "love" one I think is too much for their little bodies and they seem to go ballistic. She also watches a bit of "PBS Sprout" and they deal with it pretty frequently ~ Moose and Zee are in the segment. I know I have seen it run several times and for being a cartoon segment they really handle it well. Out an about its pretty easy to tell the little ones who have/ are growing up with critters and the ones that don't. It is nice to see though that even those that don't are getting basic instruction at school and some segments on tv. It not near enough but it is at least more than what was offered when my boys were little.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I think small dogs do have a rougher time then big dogs. Just because not many people try to grab a large dog!, and they certainly wouldnt keep trying to grab it if it was shying away and looking scared/nervous. However they seem to think its ok to chase around a small, scared dog until they can grab it!!
You see this with big dog owners who let them bulldoze into your little dog. The theory seems to be that Chihuahuas are nervous, shaky little things anyway so it doesnt matter what you do coz they would be scared anyway!!:rolleyes:
I always feel sorry for Heidi when she is trying to back away from someone (despite me saying to people not to touch her). She isnt aggressive at all, just wants to get away. Although she did scare one lady who wouldnt leave her alone because she bared her teeth at her!! What the lady didnt know is that Heidi is a 'smiler' and will grin at you if she is happy, nervous, or wanting to play!!LOL

21 - 35 of 35 Posts