Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I recieved a text from my previous landlord asking if I coulf go to her house and let out her 4 very large dogs because she was in the Hamptons and was not going to make it home right away. It was 10 am already so I quickly got dressed and ran over there. One of them had diarrhea all over the rug. As I let them out I then recieve another text from her stating that she has two rescue puppies in the basement, if I could go feed them and make sure they had water. I went down there and was greeted with the two most adorable 8-9 week old lab puppies. The basement is not finished, she had newspapers all over for the dogs to go to the bathroom and the food dish was empty. I felt so bad for them. I went home after caring for the dogs, got dressed and went to my mom's house for Easter(happens to be next door to my previous landlord). I spent the day trying to convince my mom that she wants a puppy and my son was trying to convince me I wanted one too lol. As I was about to leave my mom's house I get another text asking if I can now feed all the dogs, let them out and then go back and let them out before bed because she was staying in the Hamptons. I was pissed off but went over there to do it. She did not tell me where the food was or how to feed them. One of the dogs needed to be seperated when eating but she did not tell me. I am so mad right now that she has no concern for her own dogs and even worse is how those poor puppies are living right now. No one was home to play with them all day and they are in a disgusting basement where they can get into god knows what. I wanted to take them home and if I thought they had their shots, I would have. I am sorry for the long vent but I am so upset right now and very unsure what to do.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh geez...I don't know! That is awful though, I understand how you'd be both pissed off and really frustrated! some people shouldn't be allowed to have animals. Period. She says they are rescue puppies...yeah? rescued from what? b'c it sounds like the still need rescuing :(

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would tell her the condition of the dogs and say that she is obviously going to have to come home and take care of them. That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was considering it but around here it is the county shelter and they really suck. She already had a problem with them. She was rescuing dogs and had about 20 in her house. There were two litters of puppies plus adult dogs and at the time 3 of her own. One of the mom dogs that was in the basement with the pups had bit a girl( whose fault it was and should not have been down there) and the authorities were contacted and all dogs taken since she could not prove rabies shots. After about 2 weeks she was allowed to get 4 dogs back( all that is allowed in town). I thought she had learned her lesson and would not be rescuing any more. I considered taking in one of the puppies but I really do not want another dog and a big one at that plus the puppy is 300 and is not even neutered. Most likely has not had any shots as well. What is wrong with a rescue giving her these dogs to foster after the last time.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
How can a rescue charge $300 for an adoption fee on dogs that aren't vaccinated?! That doesn't sound at all legitimate. I get that they aren't neutered 'cause they're that young but there should at least be a reduced fee if there's a speuter contract involved; that's what I've always done with my personal rescues! The adoption fee is there to help balance out the cost put into the dogs and that's all; no profit... heck most rescues I know have adoption fees way lower than even what it cost to maintain the dogs. That's the point of a rescue, to do a good deed, not make money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do not know anything about rescuing but from what I understand, this group gets the vaccines and do them themselves. I do not mind having to pay for a neuter but think 300 is a bit high since I would have to take him to the vet and have vaccines and testing done before I bring him in the house with my girls. She told me that they had to put one puppy to sleep for distemper but these puppies are fine. My heart wants to take in a puppy and have my mom take the other but my head knows it's not the right time and for that I feel like a horrible person.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts