Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bruiser, the big red puppy, is very agressive. This morning, he attacked Parker and his mom couldn't get him to stop. I finally had to swat him gently on the bottom to get him to back off her. Then I picked him up and said NO sternly as he screamed his head off. Is this normal in 8 week old puppies? Does it mean he will always be agressive? Not knowing who the father is is worrying, too. Bruiser picks on his brothers, too, but this morning, it was over the top and he just kept going. Parker is fine, no bites or anything, but he scared her bad. Is this normal with the boss of the litter and eventually it can be trained out of him? Or should I insist he be an only dog when he's adopted?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this morning I took the puppy pen down and they are with the pack now. I figure Tiko or Sherman, my more bossy males, will be able to teach him some manners. And I was going to start on crate training today, so each will have their own crate to sleep in and be put in when I go to the store or something. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I agree; hopefully some time with older pack members will do him good. Sometimes they need a reminder that they aren't in charge, you just need a good stable dog to put them in line!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Believe it or not but sweet little Chloe (the one who now has fear issues?) was a terror as a baby. She was the boss and biggest of a litter of 6 and was almost 50% bigger than her two sisters because she pushed them out (she was the opposite of Cartman, not big boned, just fat!). She tried it on Axle too when she came home to live with us and it's only because he was twice her age at the time that she got put back in her place and she would also scream her head off when she we told her no for taking Axles food right out of his mouth.
Giving him time with the big boys sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Let's hope the 'big guys' in the pack, let this little terror in his place quick! Just remember that if he is 'attacked' by one of the older dogs, and starts to squeal, let him alone! Do NOT try and comfort him! I had an italian greyhound puppy, that slammed into our sleeping sheltie, who immediately nipped her. Screaming bloody murder, the i.g. ran under the computer table. I counted to 30, with my heart pounding, before I slowly walked over and picked her up. Not a scratch on her!! Believe me, that puppy gave the sheltie a wide berth for awhile!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the two days since the puppies are with the rest of the pack 24/7 Bruiser has been put in his place several times. He screams bloody murder, but he has backed off attacking his siblings and bothering the older dogs. Thank you all for the encouragement, I was scared I had a problem puppy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's is just a dominant puppy. Which with good obidience training can be a perfect pet. He can be with other dogs, that will be no problem if the owners will correct him when he goes to far.
A pup must never ever think he can be boss. When he goes to far, and his mom doesn't stop him, you must absolutly correct him!!
With training a lot of this will dissapear in the future, and off course in the future he can be castrated, which probably will help to.
And don't forget that puppies will try how far they can go (more than adults) so he needs boundries. They can be over excited, which will also get better when he gets older.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts