Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The excitment just never ends at my house :roll:
A couple days ago my roommates had my dogs out to go potty while I was at work, instead of putting them back into their crates after they just let them have the run of the upstairs...something I dont allow them to do unless someone is watching. When I got home everything was trashed...papers shredded, garbage cans knocked over...a real mess.

This morning I woke up and saw a bunch of little piles of vomit on the floor....then there was a vomit pile with this 4 inch long (about a half-inch wide) wad of paper and garbage that one of them threw up :shock: It was so big!! I knew it wasnt Tequila because she doesnt sleep where the other two sleep, so it was either Ginger or Kylie....but most of the vomit was on Gingers bed...I thought there's no way such a tiny chi thew up that big forign body...she would had choked on it.

I brought them both to work to observe them. I didnt feed them breakfast because I knew the doc would want to fast them for half the day. Around noon I feed both a teaspoon of A/D (bland soft dog food) and at 2pm when nothing happened I fed them another teaspoon....about a half hour later Ginger had a pile of vomit in her cage...all the food she had just ate :shock: I was so scared. Normally this means that they have a forign body blocking them which is causing anything they eat/drink to come right back up...and since she already threw up a forign body we knew this was most likely the case....surgery is the only solution and that would cost me $1500 dollars :shock: I took x-rays of her tummy and to my joy her stomack and intestines were normal...nothing was in her stomach! :D I am to continue to fast her for the rest of the night...giving her a small amount of Nutra-Cal every two hours ( i knew having that stuff would come in handy :wink: ) If she continues to throw up tonight we are going back to the hospital, but chances are she will be fine...she probably has a VERY sore tummy from having that huge thing inside of her. By tomorrow if she is fine I am to slowly start feeding her again....a teaspoon of food every 2 hours. She will have to come back to work with me tomorrow night when I work my ER shift because I am to watch her for the next 24hrs.

God I wanted to kill my roommates, but I didnt. They do me a huge favor by taking my dogs out and letting them play while I am gone....so I just calmly told them that next time if they are not going to watch them they HAVE to be crated...otherwise they will have to come up with 1500 dollars. They felt horrible so I think this taught them a lesson.

What else was so scary was that the vet said that she was suprised Ginger was able to throw that up...that it was big enough where she should had choked on it....this happened during the middle of the night and I was sleeping...woud never had heard her. She said I was lucky she did not die. :wink: :wink:

I tell this story to make people aware of just how easy it is for your chi to get into trouble. I do everything to puppy-proof my house but you cant keep them 100% safe. Things like this can happen so fast and the consequences can be heartbreaking. I am thanking my lucky stars (and Gingers) that she didnt die last night or need surgery today.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Ginger made it through the night without vomiting. The big test will come today when I start to feed her again *cross fingers*

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know! Drives me crazy but I can just be thankful nothing serious has ever happened. I guess I will have a good idea about raising kids after this right :wink:

Unfortunately now when I work I am not going to feel that nice safe feeling knowing they are being cared for by my friends because of this but they love my dogs and really were upset that Ginger could had been seriously harmed. I dont think they ever realized that they could eat stuff that they could not pass....I dont know. They really thought they were being nice to them by letting them outof their cages and letting them play, which they were but I told them that if they do that my friends have to be home and awake and keeping an eye on them.

I am just happy I woke up this moring to a very happy, alert, and energetic Giner with no vomit. She is staring at her food bowl wanting food...she only gets about 4 pieces of dog kibble sofened for now...if she makes it to 11am i will give her 4 more...thats how it will be all day today for her...poor girl.

Thanx everyone for the well wishes, it really helps :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*sigh* what I wanted to do was hit them in the heads and tell them next time they are stupid it will cost them 1500 dollars!

I work 10-11 hours a day and am not allowed to bring my dogs with me. My roommates (who i have been friends with for over 15yrs) have always watched my dogs and taken them out for potty breaks and even walked them to get them fresh air. They have done a lot for me so I had to swallow my anger and think rationally...they just had one big brain-fart. I showed them what Ginger threw up and they freaked out. Their first words were 'how did she even throw that huge thing up".
I told them "exactly...the vet said she either shouldnt had been able to throw that up...which would had led to sugery, or if she tried she should had choked on it". I told them to thank their lucky stars that by some miracle she was able to get it out of her with no complecations but an upset tummy. (the x-rays showed a very empty but angery stomach...bigger then normal but that happens when a forign body was just in it...which is why we know for a fact it was her).

Their reactions made me feel better about it...they were really upset and sorry. I cant say I havent made stupid mistakes either so that is why I didnt beat them...hehe. My dogs LOVE them to pieces so I know they take really good care of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts