Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am brand new to the forum, and the reason I have joined is because I am feeling worried about my 3 year old 4 lb. chihuahua Pebbles. She will be turning 4 in January, she's the love of my life and is just the best dog I could ever ask for. For about the last 6 months I have noticed that she's started to make very loud strange breathing sounds when she gets over excited (which is easy to do) almost like she is going to hyperventilate. It's like a very loud, uncontrolled snorting so to speak as if she's unable to catch her breath. I always do my best to calm her down, but I have noticed this pattern continually get worse and happen more often, so I have made an appointment with the vet for Wednesday. I was wonderding if anyone else has ever dealt with a problem like this or have any idea what I'm dealing with.

Thank you so much ;)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Welcome to Cp,it maybe reverse sneezing mine do it when they get excited,but you need to have her checked at the vets just to make sure she's ok

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree that it sounds like reverse sneezing. You can look it up on youtube and see examples of reverse sneezing and see if it looks like it.

If so, you can stop it by gently but firmly pinching her nose shut for a second. That shuts off the air flow and they can't suck in the air through their nose and they will stop and swallow. Some people rub their necks gently, or cup their hands over their noses. But I have found that just gently plugging the nostrils for a moment works the best.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi P.P
WELCOME to the Chi. forum. Hope you enjoy it. :)
If what you talking about is what I'm thinking, yea, my chi. does
it too every once in a while.
Blessings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi PumpkinPie,
It does sound like reverse sneezing.

I'm now used to it with my Chi but when he first started doing it I took him to the vet just to make sure everything was okay. It started out being a rare occurrence (which I thought was a reverse sneeze) then started becoming violent and an everyday thing. It turns out he started doing it because his esophagus was swelling due to a chicken allergy.

Now he just does it when he gets excited, which my vet assured is definitely a reverse sneeze since we have the chicken allergy controlled and out of the diet.

Definitely a good idea to go to the vet just to make sure everything is okay since it hasn't happened before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks everyone! I have never heard of a reverse sneeze before, but I looked on YouTube and that's exactly what's going on!! I will still mention it when I take her to the vet on Wednesday, since she's due for her yearly checkup anyways. Thank you so much the speedy responses and for for helping me to understand!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My Charlie does the reverse sneeze thing too but he's always done it. If it's a change inher behavior I agree with the others. I'd take her to the vet to rule out anything serious but don't be too worried. Most of the time it is not serious.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Mine reverse sneezes, but rarely. She didn't do it as a young puppy, but has done it a few times at 10 months old. Usually when she's over excited about a treat or someone visiting, and it only lasts a few seconds. Our breeder gave us a binder full of info so thankfully I read about it before it happened, or I would have thought she was choking. Not a bad idea to take her to the vet though, you never know. Hope it's nothing!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I agree with the rest, first thing that came to mind is reverse sneezing.
But please let us know what the vet says on Wednesday! I'm curious.
Hope your little Pebbles is ok! Best wishes :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Welcome to cp
These guys on here are great and I'm sure you will find the answer you need. Keep us posted on how pebbles is
X

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Welcome to Chi Ppl. My Jerry has reverse sneezing. With him I think it's emotional--
he's a very sensitive dog and he does this when he is most excited or upset.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts