Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I feed my dogs mostly raw with ZP or Stella and Chewy's in the morning. I am moving in a month with 2 of my friends/coworkers to a new apartment. They are fine with the dogs being there, but are totally opposed to me feeding them raw food. I really want to keep them on ZiwiPeak, but I just don't know if I can afford to exclusively feed that right now. It really depends on my expenses at the new apartment. I will probably give them raw on the nights my roommates aren't there, but I just don't want to create any tension between us. They are already being very nice because they invited me to live with them even though I have 2 dogs which limits our housing options.

Any advice? I know I can stretch out the bags of ZP with cooked meats and other things. I just really don't want to put them back on kibble, but I don't want to go broke trying to feed them. Has anyone had to switch back to kibble/part kibble after feeding raw?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
*shrug* I'd still feed my dogs raw, what's wrong w/ them eating in their crates? easy to clean and touches nothing anyone else touches.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Why are they so set against raw feeding? I'm guessing that its because they dont know anything about it and just see it as "not 'Dog food' so gotta be bad for them". Get some books (try the library), download info from the internet and print it out, get leaflets about raw feeding. Teach them. They're your dogs and if you want to feed them raw then feed them raw.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I have not been in your situation but I would probably try and extend the Ziwi as much as possible and then supplement with a high grade kibble?
It sounds like you need to compromise there, shared accommodations often require sacrifices unfortunately.
I don't think I would shove information at them and demand to feed raw.. keeping the peace would likely be my #1 priority.

Is this a long term thing? or just temporary..

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
ZiwiPeak is so close to kibble... I mean it's squares in a bag that you pour out. How could they be opposed to that? Maybe they have a misunderstanding of what raw feeding is and are visualizing them walking around with a bloody chunk of meat that is dripping all over? I think if they saw what you are feeding, they wouldn't have objections.

You could also just quietly feed them in your room at the apartment. They don't have to oversee what you are feeding your own dogs.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Same thing happened to Bijoux when we moved. My grandma was dead set against it and I knew that if I wasnt there at night she woulnd't feed it so I made the switch and had to do it cold turkey. Luckily Bijoux was fine.

I understand where you are coming from completely keeping the peace in this situation will be better because if you don't they may come to resent your babies inadvertently. The rule of thumb with feeding your dogs is "feed the best you can afford and feel proud your doing your best" If ZP is out of your budget then wellness it is etc. My recommendation is to make a tiny stock pile, of at least 3 months if you can, by then you will know your apartment budget and can go from there with no worries : )

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Probably their objection to raw isn't concern for the dogs health. They are probably thinking raw is gross and unsanitary. I'd try to keep the peace too. Since Ziwipeak doesn't look like raw so I agree, feed as much of it as you can and round out with kibble, etc. I'd add water to the kibble to make sure they have enough liquid to process it. They will need something to chew too so I'd lay in a supply of bully sticks. I just wouldn't tell them what bully sticks are, LOL.

·
Registered
376 Posts
*shrug* I'd still feed my dogs raw, what's wrong w/ them eating in their crates? easy to clean and touches nothing anyone else touches.
yep on this or feeding them quietly in your room when no one is looking. Maybe even get a mini fridge for your room and store your chicken wings, etc in there so the roomies won't eat it themselves.

On a sidenote, they are making much to big of an issue over this. Why should they care what you feed your dogs as long as it doesn't affect them? That's a little weird.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Move to FL. :) I'll be your roommate and we'll BOTH feed raw. LOL! Problem solved!!

But seriously, I would start by attempting to educate them on what raw feeding is. Maybe you can hammer out some guidelines that both of you agree on. For example, they may not be comfortable with you putting organs and chunks of meat in their freezer, which is fine since you feed S&C. Show them what you're feeding and try to compromise on places where your dog can eat that would make it acceptable, such as only in your dog's crate while it's in your room, etc. Let them know that S&C is really no worse than canned food in terms of messiness.

If they refuse to compromise, then I'd try to stretch the ZP out as much as possible. Have you tried canned food? If you're feeding it alongside the ZP then you'll need considerably less. Merrick is an inexpensive but good brand. Fromm is good. Weruva is great (Teddy loved it). I used to feed ZP with about 1/3 can of Fromm daily until I recently switched to Nature's Variety raw (though Teddy isn't really taking to it yet).

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
So is it raw they object to versus premade raw? That is my guess. I'd feed raw any time they were not there watching if that is the case.
I'd ask family members for money or ZP for any holiday you may celebrate. I'd stockpile ZP as others suggested.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
If it is real raw, perhaps you could you get a nice rubbermaid container and chop up all of your game hens, wings and such and label in ziploc bags. Put those in the rubbermaid container labeled with your name. Who could object to you being neat and tidy?
If they ask tell them that you like to keep your meat separate. Perhaps you are a bodybuilder who eats raw meat. Or you are a germaphobe. Or you prepare meat in accordance with your own religious beliefs which also requires others not touch it in any way...oh, I could crack myself up with giving you excuses!! haha!

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ZiwiPeak is so close to kibble... I mean it's squares in a bag that you pour out. How could they be opposed to that? Maybe they have a misunderstanding of what raw feeding is and are visualizing them walking around with a bloody chunk of meat that is dripping all over? I think if they saw what you are feeding, they wouldn't have objections.

You could also just quietly feed them in your room at the apartment. They don't have to oversee what you are feeding your own dogs.
They aren't opposed to ZP, it is just the raw meat they don't like. You guys are right, they are MY dogs, but I just don't want to create problems right off the bat.

Being realistic, I will probably have to cut back on the amount of fresh meat I feed anyways.I usually use my food stamps to buy meat for the dogs (my bf buys most of our food here) and I don't get much. When I move, I will be buying all of my own food so I need to work that into my budget. Also, I take up the whole freezer here with meat! I don't want to do that in my new apartment. I will try and feed them meat as much as possible, especially bone-in stuff a few times a week for dental health.

They aren't refusing to compromise with me or making a big deal, but I know it will create problems if I just take over the freezer with meat for the dogs.

Karen & mooberry- Great idea about stockpiling until I figure out my budget! I will do that, and by the time I start running out of ZP I will have figured out what I can afford.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You could get a little cheapy chest freezer and keep it in your room??? LOL. I'm trying here. ;)

But yeah, I understand the roommate thing. If you can afford to keep feeding ZP - my gosh you are ahead of the curve by so much. Add in some canned as you can. Maybe some bone-in parts when it's convenient and then don't worry. You are doing the best you can and that's all any of us can do.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could get a little cheapy chest freezer and keep it in your room??? LOL. I'm trying here. ;)

But yeah, I understand the roommate thing. If you can afford to keep feeding ZP - my gosh you are ahead of the curve by so much. Add in some canned as you can. Maybe some bone-in parts when it's convenient and then don't worry. You are doing the best you can and that's all any of us can do.
That's actually a great idea! I will see if I can find a little freezer. I really hope I can keep them exclusively on ZP/SC with some added raw/bone-in a few times a week. We will just have to see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Ditto about getting a separate mini freezer... that way you aren't taking over their space; and it can still be out of the way and they never even have to know about it. If they are wiling to listen, maybe try educating them about raw? Not saying all kibble is bad or anything at all; but for them maybe you could take the approach that you are just "Horrified and surprised that anyone would suggest feeding it." I know that sounds kinda extreme; but if you play the, "Omigosh are you serious?? Feed KIBBLE to my dogs?!" emphasizing being surprised (and not angry or upset) it should trigger some curiosity in them as to why you responded that way. Maybe I look into things way more psychologically than I should, haha.. but that's the approach I would take. Turn it around, and start asking THEM questions as if you imply they know the answers (when you know they want.) Like, ask (pretending to be of genuine curiosity) why processed foods with grain and such would be better than fresh food?
Again this would be leaving out entirely that there ARE good kibbles out there but even a 6 star kibble can't compare to raw.
Basically I'm just trying to find a way that you can appear to be "learning WITH" your roommates; so you can pretend you're finding everything out together and not trying to be preachy to them. Even go online when they're there, and do some "research";) on why raw is better than kibble and excitedly share your findings with them.
What can I say, I'm a very manipulative person when I want to be... =P

Oh btw, one more thing we have in common; food stamps help pay our dogs food. ;) It's the same situation here, OH is really the one supporting us. But it is nice that I can still have some independence with food and not feel like I'm mooching off him lol.

One last sidenote; congrats on moving out. =) I remember your post a while back about whether or not to move out from your bf's, so kudos to you.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If it is real raw, perhaps you could you get a nice rubbermaid container and chop up all of your game hens, wings and such and label in ziploc bags. Put those in the rubbermaid container labeled with your name. Who could object to you being neat and tidy?
If they ask tell them that you like to keep your meat separate. Perhaps you are a bodybuilder who eats raw meat. Or you are a germaphobe. Or you prepare meat in accordance with your own religious beliefs which also requires others not touch it in any way...oh, I could crack myself up with giving you excuses!! haha!
LMAO!! Yes yes yes!! See I'm not the only manipulative one here hahaha.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I *think* I will be okay feeding just ZiwiPeak. I calculated how long a bag should last for.. One 2.2 lb bag should last about 2 weeks, without feeding anything else. I can add in raw meat/eggs/chicken wings as much as possible.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and I am wondering if I should start getting the 11lb bag instead of the 2.2. It seems like a way better deal. I am worried it would dry out though. Does anyone here use the 11lb bag?

·
Registered
912 Posts
I buy the 11lb bag for my 3. :)
When I get it, I split it into 5 gallon size ziplock bags and put them in the freezer until I need a new one. Each ziplock lasts about a month between my three. I do supplement meals though, with eggs (raw and scrambled) and occasional meats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts