Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I feed my dogs mostly raw with ZP or Stella and Chewy's in the morning. I am moving in a month with 2 of my friends/coworkers to a new apartment. They are fine with the dogs being there, but are totally opposed to me feeding them raw food. I really want to keep them on ZiwiPeak, but I just don't know if I can afford to exclusively feed that right now. It really depends on my expenses at the new apartment. I will probably give them raw on the nights my roommates aren't there, but I just don't want to create any tension between us. They are already being very nice because they invited me to live with them even though I have 2 dogs which limits our housing options.

Any advice? I know I can stretch out the bags of ZP with cooked meats and other things. I just really don't want to put them back on kibble, but I don't want to go broke trying to feed them. Has anyone had to switch back to kibble/part kibble after feeding raw?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ZiwiPeak is so close to kibble... I mean it's squares in a bag that you pour out. How could they be opposed to that? Maybe they have a misunderstanding of what raw feeding is and are visualizing them walking around with a bloody chunk of meat that is dripping all over? I think if they saw what you are feeding, they wouldn't have objections.

You could also just quietly feed them in your room at the apartment. They don't have to oversee what you are feeding your own dogs.
They aren't opposed to ZP, it is just the raw meat they don't like. You guys are right, they are MY dogs, but I just don't want to create problems right off the bat.

Being realistic, I will probably have to cut back on the amount of fresh meat I feed anyways.I usually use my food stamps to buy meat for the dogs (my bf buys most of our food here) and I don't get much. When I move, I will be buying all of my own food so I need to work that into my budget. Also, I take up the whole freezer here with meat! I don't want to do that in my new apartment. I will try and feed them meat as much as possible, especially bone-in stuff a few times a week for dental health.

They aren't refusing to compromise with me or making a big deal, but I know it will create problems if I just take over the freezer with meat for the dogs.

Karen & mooberry- Great idea about stockpiling until I figure out my budget! I will do that, and by the time I start running out of ZP I will have figured out what I can afford.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could get a little cheapy chest freezer and keep it in your room??? LOL. I'm trying here. ;)

But yeah, I understand the roommate thing. If you can afford to keep feeding ZP - my gosh you are ahead of the curve by so much. Add in some canned as you can. Maybe some bone-in parts when it's convenient and then don't worry. You are doing the best you can and that's all any of us can do.
That's actually a great idea! I will see if I can find a little freezer. I really hope I can keep them exclusively on ZP/SC with some added raw/bone-in a few times a week. We will just have to see how it goes.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I *think* I will be okay feeding just ZiwiPeak. I calculated how long a bag should last for.. One 2.2 lb bag should last about 2 weeks, without feeding anything else. I can add in raw meat/eggs/chicken wings as much as possible.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and I am wondering if I should start getting the 11lb bag instead of the 2.2. It seems like a way better deal. I am worried it would dry out though. Does anyone here use the 11lb bag?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wonder why it shouldn't be frozen? I have always frozen it as it lasts a LONG time for just one dog and I only feed it occasionally. I have frozen it for years and it has been very fresh when taken out. I left it out a couple times and it got pretty stale and dried out and that's when I decided to freeze it and only take out a little at a time. Brody will even eat it frozen straight from the freezer!
I am not sure why they say not to freeze it, but from what you guys have said I don't think it changes the food. I will just go with the 11lb bag and freeze it, because buying 11lbs worth of food in the 2.2lb size would be wayyy more expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.