Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a 10 week old chi. I am not new to dogs. I am a dog groomer and own several types of dogs. I have had this pup for less than a week. She's very nervous. I don't quit know what to do for her. She won't come up to us even when we get right on the ground. I know it is probably that she just needs time...

· Registered
6,181 Posts
Getting down on the floor is good. Now with a handful of really great treats (tiny pieces of chicken, hot dog, etc) toss one to the pup.. When she eats it, toss another one, a TINY bit closer. Keep doing this until pup is with in reach. DO NOT grab her. Do this several days. When she is coming up to you willingly, feed her out of your hand. DO NOT touch her! Slowly, slowly she will come to you, and finally you can pet her. Picking her up may take awhile though. Good luck

· Registered
3,304 Posts
Susan hit it! Very slowly will do it. I got a ferel cat to eat out of my hand. She was an adult cat that had recently had kittens. I went ouside daily with food for her. I sat on the ground for 20 minutes 2 times per day and just sat there until she was ready to come out and eat with me there. Little by little I moved the food closer and closer until she ate out of my hand. To make a long story short - she ended up being my house cat (my first experience with a cat) and she loved to be petted!

So lots of patience sounds like the key here! I'm sure she'll come around!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.