Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ivy is 4 years old. For the most part she is a healthy happy chi but she does have luxated patellar ligament. Im noticing that most days her back knees are okay but other times they seem more unstable.
Today on her walk something happened and her leg must have popped out because she started severely limping and chewing on the leg, probably because of pain or just plain discomfort :(

The vet said that her knees seem unstable but she doesn't want to go as far as surgery. Thats fine with me but I am so worried. She really is all the family that I have and im in tears every time something happens to her :(

I have her on Monica's Segal diet (I tried all types of commercial foods and she was always getting sick, since I switched her to this and to organic food in general at least her tummy problems are gone) i give her fish oils but sometimes shes not taking it, evening primrose oil, Vit D, Calcium powder that goes in her water and I also give her a vit B complex. Today I started giving her glucosamine (I know this takes a while to start seeing results tho)

Id like to know if there's anything specific that I should look into or do... any advice is greatly appreciated.
TIA

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
More severe cases of LP need surgical intervention so I'm not sure what your vet is waiting for? Maybe her case isn't that advanced yet? How is her weight? Keeping them slim can help & definitely adding glucosamine will help as well. What grade is her LP? Did the vet say?

Your poor girl though...so sad when they're in pain & discomfort. :(

·
Registered
355 Posts
If she's limping and chewing on her leg she's in pain. I wonder how long your vet would walk around like that if it were him? Not long, I'll wager! I suggest you get an opinion from another vet, and get your dog some kind of pain relief ASAP. Just because they can't say, "Doggone it, this hurts," doesn't mean they're not in pain. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would probably get a second opinion. She may not require surgery at this point, if she's able to pop the kneecap back into place on her own. Surgery usually isn't suggested unless/until the dog is showing clinical signs (limping, holding the leg up etc). Putting ice on the joint can help reduce inflammation.

I would probably start researching the surgery, so you can understand it and prepare for it, in case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies ladies :)

Im not sure what shes waiting for... at least this doctor noticed it. My previous vet (and hes supposed to be one of the best in the area) did not even know she had it even tho they tested her for everything under the sun and she was showing signs since she was one year old :(
I also don't know the grade of LP, I will start searching for a vet that may be experienced with this problem but to be honest I have little to no trust in vets anymore because of this...

Her weight is okay, she is 5lb now and definitely not overweight. Since we are having a heat wave I noticed she is eating less and her weight has gone down a bit.

Does the surgery completely take care of the problem?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Generally, yes, the surgery is a "cure", though there is an increased risk of arthritis in the joint.. but starting on a Glucosamine supplement now will help with that as well.

My boy George just went through the surgery about 3 months ago, and I work in a vet clinic.. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts