Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let Jazz out of her crate as usual this morning, and she acted normally, peed as usual, and then I went to get my coffee. After that is typically when she poops. But as I was walking to the computer room I became aware of a very nasty smell. Yeah, there was nasty, runny diarrhea all over the hallway floor, and another patch on the pee pad in the computer room, with drips around it. It was wretched-smelling and completely liquid. At first I wasn't sure who'd done it but a little more investigation led me to Jazz's crate, where there was more poop.....not diarrhea, just a regular stool but coated in slime, and then one more, softer bit that had a little square of plastic in it!!!!! GOD WHAT DID SHE GET INTO???

First of all, Jazz has NEVER peed or pooped in her crate in her entire life, not even once, not even when she was a tiny puppy and very sick, so you KNOW it must have been bad for her to have done so now.

Secondly, what WAS that bit of plastic, (flat, black, about 1/4 inch square) and is there any more? :( :( :( And could that have caused her diarrhea?

Thirdly, she's acting COMPLETELY normal. She the crazy/hyper/zoomies one, and she's 100% characteristically herself right now. She's boinking around my feet as I type, because it's time for breakfast and I haven't fed either of them yet.

If she were acting any way other than utterly normal, we'd be on our way to the emergency vet right now.

Should I feed her? If so what, her normal kibble or something else?

I seriously don't understand what she could have gotten into. My dogs' lives, their environments, are VERY controlled. They just don't have access to much at all.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Dixie had giardia when we got her. Her stools were very smelly and looked like a mucus/pudding and at times were watery. My first thought was parvo. Vet did a parvo check and came up negative. Dewormed her even tho her fecal checked negative. Then did a giardia fecal snap test which I suggested and I was right. She was treated with metronidazole. Put her on ID. Here's a link How to Treat Giardia in Dogs or Puppies | eHow.com Take her to the vet have have her checked.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Don't feed her. I always make that mistake. Can you wait til this evening and just give her a tablespoon of boiled chicken, and one of rice?

Mine have all had random bouts here and there -- I NEVER know what causes it, and its sometimes lasted longer than 2-3 days but they have always been fine.

If you live near a Petco, there is a Naturvet anti-diarrhea aid that works wonders for their upset tummies, giving her that with some yogurt can really help get her sorted out.

Hope she feels better soon!

·
Registered
111 Posts
My vet suggested chicken baby food when Dixie was throwing up. I with held food and water for about 3-4 hours and gave her a teaspoon of baby food and an ice cube. Made sure she held it down before giving her any water and then just a couple laps at a time.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info about giardia. I'm pretty familiar with it as one of my daughter's dogs had an issue with it, and was medicated with Flagyl (metronidazole.) Jazz isn't a puppy, nor is she presenting with any of the other symptoms. And the giardia doesn't explain the small black square of something in her stool.

Kristi, thanks for the reassurance and info. Yeah, both mine have had random bouts of diarrhea or vomiting, but up till this point, none were accompanied with the presentation of a foreign object! :( And really, that's what worries me, more than the diarrhea itself. I have nightmares of bowel obstruction, poisoning, stomach perforation.....you name it, I've thought it! But bowel or other digestive tract obstructions typically present with other symptoms, none of which she has yet.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I wonder what she ate? I would keep a close eye on her. If she starts walking hunched up, or her belly feels REALLY hard, that's when you can start worrying about an obstruction from what i understand. But to me it sounds like she chewed something up into pretty small bits, and then her tummy produced lots of acids trying to digest it, but when it couldn't, just got RID of it. I know you'll watch her and I bet she's OK.

I forgot to say, even w/ my bigger guys, I still give pedialyte from a sirynge 4x a day, about 10 ML (that's only about 2.5 teaspoons), just so they don't get dehydrated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hope she feels better and keep us up to date on her condition. I worry about Dixie picking up small things or chewing on stuff. I worked for vets for years and am aware of what can get caught up in their intestines. I actually pulled a rug out of a dogs butt once.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope she feels better and keep us up to date on her condition. I worry about Dixie picking up small things or chewing on stuff. I worked for vets for years and am aware of what can get caught up in their intestines. I actually pulled a rug out of a dogs butt once.
:confused: But I know what you mean. My daughter was a Vet Tech for some years, and the things she told me they found inside of animals was just unbelievable...socks, phone cord, parts of rugs, belts, shoes, bits (sometimes LARGE bits) of plastic, chewed up balls....the list is pretty much endless.

I'm seriously hoping that whatever that black square was, that's all there is. Jazz is sleeping right now, having become disgusted that all her prancing around and cute antics have not produced breakfast.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update. Jazz continues to act completely normal. I fed her a little last night, which she pounced on as though she hadn't eaten for a month! As of 3.00 p.m. yesterday afternoon, there's been no more diarrhea. She hasn't pooped at all since then and that last poop, while still diarrhea, was thicker than the previous several.

If she would just poop a normal poop I could stop worrying completely! But she's off her pooping schedule (no wonder) and I don't know when I'm going to see the next one.

And as I'm typing this, I'm realizing two things. One is that I think I've used the word "poop" more in this post than I have in all my other posts combined! ;) And two, that I'm actually LOOKING FORWARD to feces. Hoping to see the next batch of poop soon. Impatient for it to arrive. :pottytrain5:

WHAT HAVE MY DOGS DONE TO ME ???? :confused2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts