Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor sweet Carlie (border collie) woke up early Saturday unable to walk, with horrible horizontal nystagmus and completely freaked out. She is 13 years old and since her bilateral FHOs at age 7 has been remarkably healthy. I've been carrying her outside to do her business and she is able to potty out there and tries to stagger around a little. She refused all food for 36 hours though she did drink well. Last night I did get some chicken baby food mixed with rice into her and it was the first food to stay down since Saturday. She has a bad head tilt which makes eating very hard so hand feeding is the way to go. Her vet called in some meclazine for the nausea which makes her sleepy but she doesn't have any desire to get off her bed anyway.

It's so hard to watch her struggle, I know it's a waiting game with this and they usually gradually recover over days/weeks. I just needed to share with the people who would understand.

She is my heart's dog...

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I fully understand,my sheltie 16 has had strokes and the head tilt,(not sure if this is what your dog had )after meds from the vets i must say his head has improved,she said to put the water and feeding bowls on a high lump of wood so the head doesn't have bend all the way down to get the food & water.I also have to carry him down to potty and he can't walk very far now as he's blind,it is very sad to watch them but as long as they're not suffering that's the main thing.I hope you see an improvement soon

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Hopefully this boy will improve with his meds. It is so hard to watch. My old boss, a doctor, used to say "the worse medicine I can prescribe is tincture of time". It works in most cases, but is hard to wait!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carlie is a bit better. She is able to walk better even though she is still unsteady, can't go faster than a walk and will fall over if the surface changes or of she gets bumped into. She is eating well but is having trouble getting the food into her mouth so we are still hand feeding. She still has the head tilt but the nystagmus is all gone! So all in all I think we are improving nicely, it's just going to take time to see how good she is going to get in the long run.

Thanks for the healing thoughts y'all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts