Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

Just booked Zola in for his first vet check tomorrow so I;m hoping it all goes well. I just spoke to the vet to ask about him dragging his bum and he said he should have already been wormed, which he has and he said he will need to have this done every 2 weeks. He says he'll just get tablets or something. The ony weird thing is my breeder said he only needs wormed every 6 months? How often do you guys worm
I also asked about vacs and he said the sooner the better so he recommends now? Also is this right becuase I did say he was only 8 weeks and my breeder again said 12 weeks?

Thanks
*Vicky*

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
wow, sounds like you got a lot of conflicting information. Trust your vet, he is the doctor, and knows what's best for your dog. If you doubt your vet, try another and get a second opinion.

Here's the protocol we use for puppies/deworming:

1st Visit (8 weeks)
DHPP / Strongid T Dewormer
RX: Strongid T Dewormer again 2 weeks later.

2nd Visit (12 weeks)
DHPP
Bordatella (spaced apart if necessary)

3rd Visit (16 weeks)
DHPP
Rabies

If your pup is around 6-8 weeks old, maternal antibodies are no longer protecting it from infection, which is why your vet recommended "the sooner the better". Some vets prefer to start vaccinating at 6 weeks, while some prefer to start at 8 (to be sure that maternal antibodies are not inactivating the vaccines).

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
do you have a copy of when things (worming and vax) were done by your breeder, it's very helpful to the veterinarian to see what's been given at what times.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Vicky, I almost guarantee that your vet will deworm your pup again. You can't be sure what kind of wormer the breeder used, how it was given, etc... so as a vet they can't trust it, no matter how responsible or good your breeder is. This same principle applies to vaccines. Unfortunately, this has been an issue for such a long time, I can' believe that no one has gotten together to discuss the issue, since so many young dogs are being vaccinated multiple times.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey

All my breeder said is now he has just had his second worming so he wont need it again for another month then every 6 months there after. She said just remember every July and every Januraury he will need it. No matter what ill go by what the vet advises me. He has stopped dragging his bum tho and is pooing fine so we'll see. We're going at 5.30 today so we'll see

*Vicky*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts